Post-Workout Foods to Build Muscle

DarCSA

Awards
<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN class=article-title-secondpage>Post-Workout Foods to Build Muscle<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN class=article-title-secondpage>Work Out, Eat Up!<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN class=article-title-secondpage>By Richard Weil, MEd CDE <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN class=article-title-secondpage>Ask A Question<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN class=article-title-secondpage> <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"><SPAN class=article-title-secondpage>What are the best foods to eat after a good workout in order to make muscle grow?</SPAN><SPAN style="COLOR: black; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<B>Answer:</B>

Adequate calories and nutrients (particularly protein) for your height, weight, and activity level is necessary for muscle growth. Most American get enough protein in their diets.

As for after the workout, research is clear that eating carbs and protein within 30 minutes of your workout will help speed up your recovery time by replenishing glycogen stores and possibly increasing protein synthesis (there is some evidence that eating protein before your workout helps with protein synthesis, too). The guideline for carbs is to eat within 30 minutes of completing your workout and to have 0.7-1.2 grams of carbohydrate per kilogram of body weight (0.3-0.6 grams per pound). A large banana has 30 grams of carbohydrates. The guideline for protein is one gram for every 3-4 grams of carbs. Peanut butter has 9 grams of protein per 2 tablespoons. Yogurt is another good source of carbs and protein.

<P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt"> 

Last edited:

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
This one really isnt applicable to bodybuilding, but interesting none the less.

DarCSA

Awards
Just trying to get the people thinking man. If someone new comes along this can help them a little in general health knowledge. If I can be the first exit on their road to a better body then I have done my job. Just trying to help spread some information and thanks for always watching the boards and helping people if there is a problem. As long as it stirs that interest man then we have helped them try to help themselves.

shpongled

Awards
I'd say that combination pre and post workout, you should get at least 2/3 g carbs per pound (about 1.7 g/kg) and a 2:1 carb:protein ratio. That's just from my experience though and I'm an ecto.

David

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
The recommendation is actually .5 grams of carbd per pound of bodyweight 1 hour pre workout.

Inzah Dude

Awards
That article says "a large banana has 30 grams of carbs", but isn't fruit fructose? You want dextrose postworkout dont u?

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Yea, good point. Fructose deals with primarily liver glycogen revcovery, dextrose and/or malto. is ideal post workout, althought the post workout potassium from the banana certainly could be beneficial.

DarCSA

Awards
You guys are doing great. You are looking at the articles and questioning what they say. That is the whole point of them. I am glad to see you have your own beliefs from facts you have read.  Guys you are working together as a team and that is the whole point of this web site. Props to you guys for acting like a team.

shpongled

Awards
The recommendation is actually .5 grams of carbd per pound of bodyweight 1 hour pre workout.
damn.. that's a lot. it's hard to say you're taking too much carbs pre/post WO though.

it put a smiley where i meant to say carb : protein ratio...

:)

david

Cableguyy67

Awards
From what I've always heard, orange juice is great for post-workout, and I believe cranberry juice actually contains more glucose than orange juice. Sadly, I don't have any articles to back this up.