Keto or 40/40/20

rdj6107

Awards
current stats are 6'2", 280lbs w/26bf, 38yrs.

i want to slim down to a solid 260 - 265lbs by my 39th bday in May. probably wont have a wash board stomach, but flat abs are within reason. what option would be more effective to reach my goal:

option 1:keto with once a week carb ups. calories will be 210p/35c/170fat

option 2: 40 carbs/ 40 pro/ 20fat

thanks for the input

team180

Awards
Option 2 but 50 pro 20 carbs 15 fat... Take it slow you will feel MUCH better and in the end you will be able to maintain it..

rdj6107

Awards
team180, 50 + 20 + 15 = 85. what about the other 15??

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
current stats are 6'2", 280lbs w/26bf, 38yrs.

i want to slim down to a solid 260 - 265lbs by my 39th bday in May. probably wont have a wash board stomach, but flat abs are within reason. what option would be more effective to reach my goal:

option 1:keto with once a week carb ups. calories will be 210p/35c/170fat

option 2: 40 carbs/ 40 pro/ 20fat

thanks for the input
It seriously depends on YOU as an individual and what you respond best to. I personally do not advocate keto diets - you CAN effectively and successfully lose bodyfat withOUT eliminating or ridiculously limiting carbohydrates - and are more incline to lean towards option 2.

Remember that the key to losing bodyfat is in your OVERALL caloric intake, with less than Maintenance calories giving fat loss - note that eating over Maintenance as well as below (i.e. calorie cycling) also provides fat loss, and is the BEST nutritional method re fat loss, IMO.

I recommend reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for more nutritional advice and information re fat loss.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Option 2 works quickly and dramatically for me. I always used to advocate keto but after, seriously, trying both (with a 500-750 kcal deficit) 40/40/20 works best for me. These things are highly relative to the individual, though. It takes a long time to figure out what works best for you. All caloric deficit diets work as long as you are consistent. Good luck in whatever you decide.

UnrealMachine

UnrealMachine

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
Those diets are RADICALLY different. Which is best is going to depend on your carb response. Personally 40% carbs makes me fat and keto works great for me... My body hates carbs. Some people are the opposite and have no energy on keto. You will have to determine your response to different amounts of carbs to decide which diet is best.

SouthernCharm

SouthernCharm

Awards
  • Established
Those diets are RADICALLY different. Which is best is going to depend on your carb response. Personally 40% carbs makes me fat and keto works great for me... My body hates carbs. Some people are the opposite and have no energy on keto. You will have to determine your response to different amounts of carbs to decide which diet is best.
I agree... However I do feel that many of the complaints about lack of energy on keto is due to fat intake being too low. If you feel hungry and lethargic on keto you are not eating enough. You don't need a huge deficit on keto either. Your body is in starvation mode and using fat for energy. The transition into it can be rough, but once you're in ketosis energy should not be a huge issue. Re-evaluate your fat intake at that point.

40/40/20 on a calorie deficit works for some, and doesn't for others. Im not EXTREMELY carb senstive, but for me to have success with it, my meal timing has to be spot on. Most of my carbs on that type of diet are eaten earlier in the day and mostly around my work out. I feel like I need more stims on a bigger deficit on 40/40/20 than I do on keto. But that's just me.

rdj6107

Awards
riddle me this batman between choice 1 & choice 2. which will be more effective should i introduce pro-hormones? currently, my supps are whey, bcaa, creatine, glutamine and vitamins. zma at bedtime. i am down to 280 from 292 in a month. the goal weight before i introduce PH is 265lbs.

NOTE: i do not want to turn this into a PH thread as i am in the weightloss section. but is there a PH supplement &/or stack that would work on KETO?

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
They are radically different and after giving both a fair shake, I've concluded that, for me, 40/40/20 was the best choice. On the Anabolic Diet, I couldn't sink below a certain BF% and it wasn't until I switched to 40/40/20 that the fat loss continued and the recomp became apparent.
I also think that people think that not eating carbs is the correct way to do Keto which it is not. I see people eating way too much protein and not enough fat and then complain about feeling like crap. Over 50% of your calories should be fat and with the AD, it's more like 60-65%.
To the OP, what are expecting the PH's to do? I would think that you would need to get your diet figured out and be on that and max out your gains before even considering manipulating your hormones. Why would you use steroids rather than maximizing your own hormonal output through diet, exercise and supplementation?
But to answer your question, no one can say. As you can see from URM's post and mine, that people react differently and personal experimentation is the only real way to find out. Weight loss occurs when you eat below maintenance and gains appear when you eat above maintenance. No real magic here.

rdj6107

Awards
i have to hit my goal of 265lbs before i introduce pro-hormones. and please forgive my ignorance, but when i use the term pro-hormones, i think of something i can walk into GNC and buy. steroids are something i got to stick a needle in my body and that aint happening. YES, i know even the stuff at GNC can wreck havoc if not used correctly. but i am able to mentally process it easier. if and when i do introduce PH, it would be to harden me up and maybe add a little muscle if i am able.

team180

Awards
i have to hit my goal of 265lbs before i introduce pro-hormones. and please forgive my ignorance, but when i use the term pro-hormones, i think of something i can walk into GNC and buy. steroids are something i got to stick a needle in my body and that aint happening. YES, i know even the stuff at GNC can wreck havoc if not used correctly. but i am able to mentally process it easier. if and when i do introduce PH, it would be to harden me up and maybe add a little muscle if i am able.
I know im gonna get absolutely blasted by the Pro hormone loving people on here but Introducing a PH in many cases is WORSE than a steroid .. Even though your not stickinng a needle in yourself doesnt mean it wont hurt you.. PH are worse on your lipids than the real thing.. Many people just dont ever do the research to find out whats going on.. There are MANY other and in many cases better ways to do it then jumping on that right off.. Aminos and DAA are two very valuable tools you have that will not hurt you... Just be safe..

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What Rosie and Bionic said...

Keto is just an additional mental exercise. If you have to do it to for motivation then fine but it is not necessary from a physiological standpoint.