Best Cardio Machine

Ms9

Awards
I believe that I get the most work done on the stairmaster (stairmill). I tried to google the differences between a cardio session on the stairmaster and treadmill with the results mostly saying both are good.

The stairmaster makes my body mealt. In 20 minutes I can develop a puddle of sweat that has ran down the sides of the machine. It feels hard so I believe it is the hardest/best/most effective.

I have no actual scientific information to back my hypothesis. But as far as gym equipment for cardio I believe it gives the most bang for time spent.

Wondering what y'all think.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Best modality, IMO, is going to a track and doing 100M sprints 10-14x.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Best modality, IMO, is going to a track and doing 100M sprints 10-14x.
I agree that sprinting/running OUTSIDE is the best mode of cardio re fat loss (fat/weight loss, re the subforum this thread is in). In saying that, because everyone is different and everyone will have a mode of cardio that works best for them re fat/weight loss.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

GeekPoop

GeekPoop

Awards
  • Established
I like to find a women and a bed...

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
I love a good morning run. Now that I added bcaa ill raise my cardio to 45min

antrod333

Awards
I think stairmill is the most effective at fat burning, but for endurance training running and swimming are for sure the best. You can't push the pace on the stairmill like you can when you're out for a run. Two different types of cardio but both are great, a lot of personal preference.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
IMo the prowler is the best cardio machine
It's just not practical and feasible for many people because of the space requirements. Nothing gets you in better physical condition, however.

phatmike0704

phatmike0704

Awards
  • Established
what about eliptical, i always enjoyed this since i got a bad ankle and cant really push it too far so i stick with this. wouldn't stare master just cut fat around ur though and ass area?

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
what about eliptical, i always enjoyed this since i got a bad ankle and cant really push it too far so i stick with this. wouldn't stare master just cut fat around ur though and ass area?
The elliptical is a waste of time UNLESS you have the resistance high enough that you actually physically push your way through each step. Most just leave it on the lowest setting, and that is a mistake.

And no, stairmaster will not target fat loss. You lose fat according to genetic propensity, and it usually happens fairly evenly from your whole body until you get to the last little bit, around 10-12%. ie, you are never going to see someone with 6% bodyfat abs but 20% bodyfat arms, despite what the crunch machine commercials tell you.

pittguy578

Awards
Best calorie burner-treadmill at a 15% incline at 4+MPH. Burns over 1100 calories an hour.

McBurly

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
The elliptical is a waste of time UNLESS you have the resistance high enough that you actually physically push your way through each step. Most just leave it on the lowest setting, and that is a mistake.
You seem to have ruled out using HIIT on the elliptical to lose weight. I find it fairly effective myself but then again im not in shape and overweight

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's just not practical and feasible for many people because of the space requirements. Nothing gets you in better physical condition, however.
You can improvise. I use my car and an empty parking lot. I put the car in neutral and push it from behind. Speed never gets past a few mph, so there is no risk of it running off (so long as its a level lot) and I usually push for about 20-30m at a time.

Studies have been done, and found a higher energy expenditure and greater recruitment of muscles running on solid ground vs. on the treadmill. As for the elyptical, probably the least efficient piece of equipment and perhaps the most destructive. Recruitment of the adductors, abductors, knee extensors and flexors, as well as the calves are minimized. Therefore, at a given heart rate, youre actually burning less calories.

A rowing erg is a good low-impact piece of cardio equipment, that can be set for high intensity intervals.

Br

JohnRock

JohnRock

Awards
  • Established
Cardio on a machine is for 40 yr. old women. Next thing you know, we'll comparing Turbo Kick and Zumba. Blech!

hypo

hypo

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You can improvise. I use my car and an empty parking lot. I put the car in neutral and push it from behind. Speed never gets past a few mph, so there is no risk of it running off (so long as its a level lot) and I usually push for about 20-30m at a time.

Studies have been done, and found a higher energy expenditure and greater recruitment of muscles running on solid ground vs. on the treadmill. As for the elyptical, probably the least efficient piece of equipment and perhaps the most destructive. Recruitment of the adductors, abductors, knee extensors and flexors, as well as the calves are minimized. Therefore, at a given heart rate, youre actually burning less calories.

A rowing erg is a good low-impact piece of cardio equipment, that can be set for high intensity intervals.

Br
The car in the parking lot is a great idea!

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established

And no, stairmaster will not target fat loss. You lose fat according to genetic propensity, and it usually happens fairly evenly from your whole body until you get to the last little bit, around 10-12%. ie, you are never going to see someone with 6% bodyfat abs but 20% bodyfat arms, despite what the crunch machine commercials tell you.
You couldn't be anymore incorrect. Any instrument that requires kinetic activity to work will burn calories. Frictional coefficient of an elliptical is actually quite high when compared to a treadmill. However, an inclined treadmill has been shown to recruit more muscle fibers and thus is the gold standard for V02max testing as opposed to other exercise instruments (V02peak). It boils down to kcals in Vs. kcals out. With training one adapts and becomes more efficient (typically reserved as running economy, but can apply to exercise instruments) and requires less energy to maintain a given exercise intensity.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

Br
Pushing a car isn't nearly as hard as the Prowler. It's the low angle of the handles that make it so damn difficult plus the friction of the sled shoes makes it much harder than pushing a car.

nilebo2

Awards
Best practical, and prevalent, indoor cardio machine IMO would be an Airdyne. Simple, easy, and common in most gyms.

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Whichever one gets you doing it!!

2k1s

2k1s

Awards
  • Established
so its like a football sled with no pads? interesting.

ZiR RED

ZiR RED

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
We have those in our strength and conditioning varsity weight room. Very good piece of equipment.

I've never seen one in a gym however

Best practical, and prevalent, indoor cardio machine IMO would be an Airdyne. Simple, easy, and common in most gyms.

bikeswimlive

bikeswimlive

Awards
  • Established
I prefer high incline treadmill, stair machine, or a pool. I also like to vary my forms of cardio. Once it warms up, HIIT outside.

flposjg

Awards
I prefer to do my cardio with a jumprope. It's a killer workout.

VeganMike

Awards
Stairmaster is excellent.

I love the elliptical too but only at highest intensity, like others said, it's a waste of time at low resistance levels.

coolrunnings

Awards
If you can find one, the versaclimber is killer!