Fasted Cardio + ECA & BCAA

rdj6107

Awards
I wake up and pop a fatburner i give it bout 15min to get into system then jump on recumbant bike and pop in a movie.

2 questions:

1. should i take a liquid dose of BCAA or will that take me out of a fasted state?
2. is 15 min too long to jump on bike?

after fasted cardio, i grab a protein shake and add L-glutamine & L-carnitine.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I wake up and pop a fatburner i give it bout 15min to get into system then jump on recumbant bike and pop in a movie.

2 questions:

1. should i take a liquid dose of BCAA or will that take me out of a fasted state?
2. is 15 min too long to jump on bike?

after fasted cardio, i grab a protein shake and add L-glutamine & L-carnitine.
1. Having BCAA first thing does not take you out of a fasted state.

2. 15 minutes is not too long; IMO it's not long ENOUGH - most fat burners contain stimulants, and stimulants (particularly caffeine) take ~60 minutes to fully kick in.

After your fasted cardio, you're better off actually eating a decent meal within the first 60 minutes of finishing (the protein shake is fine, but you should have something ELSE as well) - it IS your breakfast after all, and it's the MOST important meal of the day.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
Hmm rosie I read that bcaa can cause insulin change as well as used for protein glucogenisis I believe. I just read a variety of artickes claining bcaa DO take you out of fasted state. Can u pls further your take?

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I understood the same. I've heard conflicting stories regarding fasted cardio and BCAA supplementation, as it impacts insulin levels which make it more difficult to tap into fat stores. I've also read studies linking BCAA to insulin resistance, or furthering the symptoms in those who are already prone to having insulin resistance.

rdj6107

Awards
that's why i posted the question. while there is no perfect formula, there are things that work. although i am fortunate to have a recumbant bike at the house and dont waste minutes driving to and from the gym so early in the a.m., it would pieve me to know that i was losing 45min of sleep in the morning cuz i am wasting my fasted cardio attempt.

thoughts anybody. to bcaa or not to bcaa before fasted cardio in the a.m.?????

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
I know they do effect some what. I dose 10g right after 30 min jog

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmm rosie I read that bcaa can cause insulin change as well as used for protein glucogenisis I believe. I just read a variety of artickes claining bcaa DO take you out of fasted state. Can u pls further your take?
Yes, BCAA affect insulin.

From the article, The Importance of BCAAs:
BCAA's act as nitrogen carriers which assist the muscles in synthesizing other aminos needed for anabolic muscle action. In simpler terms, it is a combining of simpler aminos to form a complex whole muscle tissue[1.]. Therefore, BCAA's stimulate production of insulin, the main function of which is to allow circulating blood sugar to be taken up by the muscle cells and used as a source of energy. This insulin production promotes amino acid uptake by the muscle. BCAA's are both anabolic and anti-catabolic because of their ability to significantly increase protein synthesis, facilitate the release of hormones such as growth hormone (GH), IGF-1, and insulin, and help maintain a favorable testosterone to cortisol ratio[1].

BCAA's are also excellent anti-catabolic because they can help prevent protein breakdown and muscle loss...
Having an increase in insulin is not a BAD thing to have, as you can see from the extract above - I personally use an insulin mimetic before ALL of my training sessions, and get better results on ALL accounts from doing this.

Just because you have an insulin change - re insulin increase - does not mean you are "taken out of a fasted state" - if you eat, then yes, you would no longer be in a fasted state.

If the OP's goal is fat loss, then it does NOT matter WHAT fuel is used during cardio - and IMO, the HIGHER the intensity during cardio the better - since if you use one, the other will be used throughout the rest of the day. See my brief article, The Cardio Debate for Fat Loss: High Intensity versus Low Intensity.

...to bcaa or not to bcaa before fasted cardio in the a.m.?????
At the end of the day, this is YOUR decision - you need to do what works for YOU.

~Rosie~
The Primordial Woman

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
People need to remember that insulin stimulation does not necessarily mean that there is extra glucose within the bloodstream.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
People need to remember that insulin stimulation does not necessarily mean that there is extra glucose within the bloodstream.
^^^Yes!

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
The use of BCAAs prior to a fasted-state training session, resistance or otherwise, will not "kick you out" of that pseudo-ketogenic state.

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
Hmmmmmmmmmm thanks guys I really needed a detailed yes or no. many thanks!!!!!!!!! Its it ok to take 10g or its it too much?

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
I an planning on redline X 20pre cardio. Bcaa 10 (or is 5 better) 5minbefore. Is this ok

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
You guys day of ur choice by I believe if u still burn fat but r able to maintsin muscle on bcaa then defffff go for bcaa

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
Say it ur"

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I know for myself that when I performed fasted cardio without the use of BCAA's, I ended up losing a decent amount of muscle mass. When I finally decided to add BCAA's to the mix, I was able to hold onto my gains in the long run.

rdj6107

Awards
so should a person take BCAA prior to fasted cardio or go without?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmmmmmmmmm thanks guys I really needed a detailed yes or no. many thanks!!!!!!!!! Its it ok to take 10g or its it too much?
You got better than a yes or no - you got the REASON behind it (i.e. yes, BCAA increases insulin; and no, it does not put you out of a fasted state, nor does it have negative effects on fat loss).

10g of BCAA is fine.

OnTheRoadTo

Awards
  • Established
Fasted+BCAA is by far the best environment for cardio.

Jasen

Jasen

Awards
  • Established
how much do u guys use?

i use 5g b4 and 5g after but i am leaning towards just 10g b4 running which do u guys prefer?

(i know i am very OCD when it comes to BB, but it helps alot making supplements WORK)

tjwoody

Awards
I think I had read Lyle was suggesting like 10g before, during after or something? I was just doing like 10g before but 30 mins later I was eating.

team180

Awards
This is just me and it has always worked but pop your ECA's and do your cardio.. Save your aminos for AFTER cardio (i do 10g bcaa 10g eaa and 10g glutamine) then wait an hour and eat your breakfast..... But again its just me..