counting calories

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.33%

counting calories

personally it's something I absolutely hate. You're never sure of the exact amount of calories and it's something that's constantly on your mind.

I've been more succesful controlling my carbs protein fats portions like: 6-8 protein meals a day, carb cycling and using the right amount of fats than calculating every single calorie.

I've seen a nutrition expert and he told me that counting calories comes with so much stress that in the end most of those counters will end up quitting.

2. New Member
    Stats
    6'4"  225 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.97%

Personally, I don't eat *that* many different foods. If you log your intake for a week every time you make a change, it should be easy enough to get an idea how you need to eat.
  3. Board Supporter
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.69%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Shavani View Post
    personally it's something I absolutely hate. You're never sure of the exact amount of calories and it's something that's constantly on your mind.

I've been more succesful controlling my carbs protein fats portions like: 6-8 protein meals a day, carb cycling and using the right amount of fats than calculating every single calorie.

I've seen a nutrition expert and he told me that counting calories comes with so much stress that in the end most of those counters will end up quitting.
    What is the point here? That people should not bother counting calories?

The reality is that the right energy balance is required to meet body mass management goals and calorie/macro counting is the most accurate way to do it.

Yes there is error involved in the process due to differences in actual calorie content as well as the difficulty in pegging one's maintenance calorie expenditure. However, this is still much better than just 'winging' it.

So you have been successful without counting calories. Congrats, you got lucky with your quantities. Just don't base the viability of your approach on a random successful outcome.
    •   

4. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'7"  197 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.48%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

how do you know you're carb cycling if you dont log what you eat? how do you know you're ketotic? fitday.com does it all then you will know for sure.
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.4%

Countin calories does not need to be exact IMO. If your trying to loose weight when results halt cut 300-500 cals. If your trying to gain the add cals as progress slows. I eat the same foods most meals so it's easy for me. And with the Internet you cAn look up macros for most places when you go out to eat.

Unless your a competing body builder you shouldn't stress on being exact. Rather have a general idea so when you plataue you can make the needed ajusments.
  6. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'0"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.4%

Loose it iPhone/I pod touch app is awesome tool to help. It's made my life so much eAsier.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'9"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.18%
    Achievements Posting Pro

E
    Quote Originally Posted by MM11 View Post
    Countin calories does not need to be exact IMO. If your trying to loose weight when results halt cut 300-500 cals. If your trying to gain the add cals as progress slows. I eat the same foods most meals so it's easy for me. And with the Internet you cAn look up macros for most places when you go out to eat.

Unless your a competing body builder you shouldn't stress on being exact. Rather have a general idea so when you plataue you can make the needed ajusments.
    Bingo. After a couple weeks if you eat the same thing all the time you will remember slot of it. Just get a food scale and use it. My wife can tell me what she has eaten on the phone and I know the macros and can add it in my head. Its a little time consuming to plan your day, it takes me about 30 min a night to plan, log, and prepare food for me and the wife. Just get in the habit.

To brag on my wife, I always pack her food. I've been out of town for 3 weeks and was worried if she could stick to our Pre-cruise diet. Only 6 weeks to go. But I made her pack her food and log it for the first day I would be gone. She went ahead and packed food for her lunchbox for the whole week. She packs for 4 meals a day. Gym at 6am fasted, then breakfast, lunch, and 2 snacks in between. If she can do it so can you. I had to buy a second food scale forms to take out of town so she could use the one at home.
  8. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.63%

Maybe it's just my nerotic self but I feel better being exact and mathematical with my diet
    ACSM-CPT
  9. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.59%

Countin cals is easy man. It would have prob been hard when I believed in eating a ton of meals but now that I usually jut eat 2 massive meals, and one small one a day it couldn't be easier.

My post workout meal when bulking gets up to 1500 cals. Meal one is usually Bout a 1k cals. Though when bulking i need to sqeeze another meal in due go high maintenance unfortunately, but when cutting it's only a big meal one and meal three. A small meal two for pre workout.
  10. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'0"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.63%

Quote Originally Posted by ZamaMan View Post
    Countin cals is easy man. It would have prob been hard when I believed in eating a ton of meals but now that I usually jut eat 2 massive meals, and one small one a day it couldn't be easier.

My post workout meal when bulking gets up to 1500 cals. Meal one is usually Bout a 1k cals. Though when bulking i need to sqeeze another meal in due go high maintenance unfortunately, but when cutting it's only a big meal one and meal three. A small meal two for pre workout.
    I did the IF style of dieting, but I just was still to hungry but I use 5 meals. I still don't find it hard at all.

This is how I do it. Say my diet says I am going to 10oz dry legume pasta. I make 10 oz and go hmm I have 3 meals of this. I divide it into what I think are 3 equal portions and go. still counting calories just less exact measure hassle. The weights are there, but not super anal. Things such as protein powder are exact same with my meats and fats.
    ACSM-CPT
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.99%

I occasionally take a sample-day and calculate my calories for that day (using fitday.com).. I usually eat about the same things every day..

Similar Forum Threads

1. Counting calories... HELP!!
    By vpdman in forum Recipes
    Replies: 26
    Last Post: 10-11-2009, 08:02 PM
  2. calories counting strategies
    By Delta Force in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-08-2008, 05:28 PM
  3. counting calories software
    By njc5044 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15