Question about post workout carbs

Sweekaters

Awards
When I was bulking I would usually eat a pack of Skittles post-workout because I've heard it slows protein breakdown. Now that I'm cutting I don't know what to do because I've also heard it slows down the breakdown of fat as well, and makes weight loss slower. Should I make an effort to get carbs post workout while cutting, or avoid them altogether and just get protein?

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
There are a couple of schools of thought on this. I, personally, opt for a whey shake about 15 minutes after I put down the iron on my last set and then do a whole food meal (complex carbs and protein) about an hour after that. I also train in the early evening, though, so I taper carbs during the day during and while I cut (which I currently am), I take in the largest amount of carbs at breakfast and pre-workout (post I get about 40g or so).

One thought is that consuming carbohydrates immediately after workout halts fat-loss and can blunt GH levels.

The other thought, is to take in carbs immediately post workout (specifically simple carbs) to spike insulin levels and shuttle nutrients into the muscles.

This is one of those subjects that has been debated for as long as I've been doing research on nutrition. My advice: try one method for a week with no other changes (in training, supplementation or diet) and then try the other - compare results.

Sweekaters

Awards
There are a couple of schools of thought on this. I, personally, opt for a whey shake about 15 minutes after I put down the iron on my last set and then do a whole food meal (complex carbs and protein) about an hour after that. I also train in the early evening, though, so I taper carbs during the day during and while I cut (which I currently am), I take in the largest amount of carbs at breakfast and pre-workout (post I get about 40g or so).

One thought is that consuming carbohydrates immediately after workout halts fat-loss and can blunt GH levels.

The other thought, is to take in carbs immediately post workout (specifically simple carbs) to spike insulin levels and shuttle nutrients into the muscles.

This is one of those subjects that has been debated for as long as I've been doing research on nutrition. My advice: try one method for a week with no other changes (in training, supplementation or diet) and then try the other - compare results.
Thanks! I should have remembered that there is almost never a definitive answer for anything when it comes to nutrition. I'm going to continue taking in carbs post workout since I had so much success doing it on my bulk. If fat loss starts to crawl, I'll drop them.

brad1224

brad1224

Awards
  • Established

agree, id say try both...because everyone is different

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I used extend with a gatorade postwo and then would have a meal 1 hour later. Lost 33 pounds since November of 09 doing that!!!

goonstopher

goonstopher

Awards
  • Established
When I was bulking I would usually eat a pack of Skittles post-workout because I've heard it slows protein breakdown. Now that I'm cutting I don't know what to do because I've also heard it slows down the breakdown of fat as well, and makes weight loss slower. Should I make an effort to get carbs post workout while cutting, or avoid them altogether and just get protein?
I'm not going to read all the other replies before posting...

Post WO carbs when cutting are totally NOT needed. They blunt GH response and replenishing glycogen when cutting can actually be detrimental to fat loss. As long as you replenished weekly to bi-weekly depending on BF% you will mostly do fine.

EDIT: Read the other replies after the first post
I'd suggest letting your goals decide. If you goals are really fat loss then I still think no carbs PWO

sluggy

sluggy

Banned
Awards
  • Established

Post WO carbs when cutting are totally NOT needed. They blunt GH response and replenishing glycogen when cutting can actually be detrimental to fat loss. As long as you replenished weekly to bi-weekly depending on BF% you will mostly do fine.

I'd suggest letting your goals decide. If you goals are really fat loss then I still think no carbs PWO
I'd go further to say that Post WO carbs are not needed anytime. Especially just for plain weightlifting.

Sweekaters

Awards

Thanks guys. My main goal is to change my nutrition habits for the better. I'm the kind of guys who is fat, then skinny, then fat again. I'd like to slowly lose fat (even it's just a half pound a week), keep my muscle, and cruise until my habits have changed for the better. I'm going to try both ways, I've been doing well the past two weeks taking in carbs about an hour PWO, strength going up and fat going down, so I'll go with that for a month and then cut them out and see how I do. Thanks again guys!

AnthonyIOSOS

AnthonyIOSOS

Awards
  • Established
I agree with all the above posters. Post-workout carbohydrates are great for shuttling nutrients and restoring glycogen when needed. I have gone with both approaches and prefer just a few scoops of whey protein post-workout and a complete meal one hour later.

goonstopher

goonstopher

Awards
  • Established
Thanks guys. My main goal is to change my nutrition habits for the better. I'm the kind of guys who is fat, then skinny, then fat again. I'd like to slowly lose fat (even it's just a half pound a week), keep my muscle, and cruise until my habits have changed for the better. I'm going to try both ways, I've been doing well the past two weeks taking in carbs about an hour PWO, strength going up and fat going down, so I'll go with that for a month and then cut them out and see how I do. Thanks again guys!
If you are at a point where you can gain strength and lose fat then it means you are not far along enough in your bodybuilding efforts for it to even really make a huge difference. Doing that is nearly impossible unless you are reasonably far below your genetic potential or on AAS. If you are not on AAS and are below your genetic potential then this is really splitting hairs because it is really when you are closer to your potential that little things make a difference.

To make an example, I was on AAS and during my cut I kept almost 100% of my muscle and took things slow but my weights still dropped up to 35% from my heaviest sets when I was bulking.

Sweekaters

Awards
If you are at a point where you can gain strength and lose fat then it means you are not far along enough in your bodybuilding efforts for it to even really make a huge difference. Doing that is nearly impossible unless you are reasonably far below your genetic potential or on AAS. If you are not on AAS and are below your genetic potential then this is really splitting hairs because it is really when you are closer to your potential that little things make a difference.

To make an example, I was on AAS and during my cut I kept almost 100% of my muscle and took things slow but my weights still dropped up to 35% from my heaviest sets when I was bulking.
I should have phrased that better, my strength is only growing because it's coming back. I peaked for a meet and then was totally worthless after. I shaved 20% off all of my lifts, went from squatting 315lbs for 5 to squatting 250lbs for 5, and now I'm working myself back up. But, I'm still doing 15-25lbs less than I was doing on everything. I don't have any delusions of getting stronger while cutting.