carb cycling question

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
sup carb cyclers?

I was told by a trainer that to cut up I should consider carb cycling... So I've been doing his suggested 3 high carb days followed by 4 low carb days. I've seen other people doing something like high/low/no/low/high type of cycle and was wondering from those of you who cycle carbs, which was the best/most effective cycle for you?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
sup carb cyclers?

I was told by a trainer that to cut up I should consider carb cycling... So I've been doing his suggested 3 high carb days followed by 4 low carb days. I've seen other people doing something like high/low/no/low/high type of cycle and was wondering from those of you who cycle carbs, which was the best/most effective cycle for you?
You really have to find the right cycle for YOUR body - what works and is most effective for someone else might not be for you. For example, I generally recommend for fat loss 2-4 days at less than Maintenance, and 1-2 days either at or above Maintenance, with the extra calories on the higher days coming from carbohydrates. I can get away with doing a low/high/low/high cycle re carbohydrates/calories for fat loss, but not everyone can, and what you're doing is fine. If you want to go to four lower calorie/carbohydrate days followed by two higher calorie/carbohydrate days to see if it's more effective for you, then do it. Or you could try splitting your higher calorie/carbohydrate days up and do 2-3 days lower and every 3rd-4th days higher. Experiment and see what works BEST FOR YOU!

menphisdaemon

menphisdaemon

Awards
sup carb cyclers?

Actually it depends on your workout days and on your lacking muscle parts. You should consider to place high carbs days when you train a lacking muscle group or even the night before if you have a cheat day. Reserve low days for the time you rest...cardio only sessions for me are rest days:veryhappy:

tbarrows

tbarrows

Awards
  • Established
Actually it depends on your workout days and on your lacking muscle parts. You should consider to place high carbs days when you train a lacking muscle group or even the night before if you have a cheat day. Reserve low days for the time you rest...cardio only sessions for me are rest days:veryhappy:
You really have to find the right cycle for YOUR body - what works and is most effective for someone else might not be for you. For example, I generally recommend for fat loss 2-4 days at less than Maintenance, and 1-2 days either at or above Maintenance, with the extra calories on the higher days coming from carbohydrates. I can get away with doing a low/high/low/high cycle re carbohydrates/calories for fat loss, but not everyone can, and what you're doing is fine. If you want to go to four lower calorie/carbohydrate days followed by two higher calorie/carbohydrate days to see if it's more effective for you, then do it. Or you could try splitting your higher calorie/carbohydrate days up and do 2-3 days lower and every 3rd-4th days higher. Experiment and see what works BEST FOR YOU!
both great posts, thanks a lot guys, I'll fool around with it a bit and see which works best!

subweevil

subweevil

Awards
  • Established
Getting ready to start this up again myself. The above posters gave great advice. Only thing I'd add to it is that timing of the carbs is very important as well, at least for me. On my high carb day, I'll take some in during the morning, and sometimes before a workout, after or both, just depends on how I'm feeling. I tend to do more of a "Zig-Zag" type carb cycling. Rosie is correct, you'll know what works best for you. Good luck!!

menphisdaemon

menphisdaemon

Awards
True. Definitely you have to partion them in the right way to get maximum results. With my atlethes i suggest breakfast and periwo with a specific ratio that depends on how many carbs you eat die.