cardio question?

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
Hey I have been bulking for the past 3 months and I have put on a solid 10 pounds. I have just currently started today a cutting cycle and my question is how much cardio should be done during a cutting cycle? I usually do the elipticle for 30 mins after weight training. Also just to mention I will be taking a fat burner while on the cycle.

lennoxchi

lennoxchi

Awards
  • Established
you're going to get a bunch of different answers here but at the end of the day what works for you is what you'll need to do e.g. while cutting i keep my cals around the same as when bulking but eat clean and increase cardio, cardio in the morning on an empty stomach and also in the evening 3 times a week...it's alot of trial and error

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
yeaa im jus curious to see how many cardio sessions i should do a week? I dont have time in the morning to get cardio in so I just hit the elipticle after lifting.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey I have been bulking for the past 3 months and I have put on a solid 10 pounds. I have just currently started today a cutting cycle and my question is how much cardio should be done during a cutting cycle? I usually do the elipticle for 30 mins after weight training. Also just to mention I will be taking a fat burner while on the cycle.
Honestly, you do NOT have to do any cardio to lose fat (especially if you're already in a caloric deficit)!

But, as lennoxchi said, "What works for you is what you'll need to do".

yeaa im jus curious to see how many cardio sessions i should do a week? I dont have time in the morning to get cardio in so I just hit the elipticle after lifting.
Again, this is entirely up to YOU - if you're not used to doing cardio, then I don't recommend doing a lot; three 20-30 minutes sessions a week is enough, IMO.

I recommend reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for a little information re cardio for fat loss (and there is another article at the bottom of the page on high intensity versus low intensity cardio for fat loss).

smark

Awards
I normally go for about 45 minutes on the elliptical, go do a little lifting/toning, then wind down with about 20 minutes on the stairs or the treadmill. I usually alternate cardio & strength training days and take a break on Sundays. Cardio sessions is no less than 30 mins, no more than 60.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I normally go for about 45 minutes on the elliptical, go do a little lifting/toning, then wind down with about 20 minutes on the stairs or the treadmill. I usually alternate cardio & strength training days and take a break on Sundays. Cardio sessions is no less than 30 mins, no more than 60.
I agree with this ^^^

Most pros use 2 cardio sessions per day. A lot depends on metabolism. I hit the stepmill and treadmill (max incline fast walk) for 20 minutes each for total of 40 mins, 5 days a week. I feel 3 days is just maintenance.

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
if my diet is in check and im lifting hard in the gym is cardio neccessary to get 6 pack of abbs? Ive had them in the past but during my bulk cycle lost them.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
if my diet is in check and im lifting hard in the gym is cardio neccessary to get 6 pack of abbs? Ive had them in the past but during my bulk cycle lost them.
No, cardio is NOT necessary for fat loss, or to get lean enough to see your 6-pack. NUTRITION is the key to that.

D3vildog

D3vildog

Awards
  • Established
Rosie is right.

"Muscles aren't made in the gym, they're made in the Kitchen"

Someone said that to me once and after they explained in detail, I changed my view on the gym and working out 100%

i still like cardio, and there are benefits to doing it, but fat loss doesn't mean treadmills and Elliptical for hours. (not that you were, just saying)

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Honestly, you do NOT have to do any cardio to lose fat (especially if you're already in a caloric deficit)!

But, as lennoxchi said, "What works for you is what you'll need to do".

Again, this is entirely up to YOU - if you're not used to doing cardio, then I don't recommend doing a lot; three 20-30 minutes sessions a week is enough, IMO.

I recommend reading The 3 Keys to Fat Loss for a little information re cardio for fat loss (and there is another article at the bottom of the page on high intensity versus low intensity cardio for fat loss).
Great post, Rosie.

As mentioned several times in this thread, cardio is NOT a requirement for fat loss. Infact, cardio should not be thought of as a method of burning fat. It is simply a tool. Cardio is aerobic exercise and intended for heart health.

If you're in a calorie deficit, you're going to burn fat regardless if you're doing cardio or not.

3 sessions per week of 15-25 minutes is plenty of it. Just mix it up. I like to do HIIT sometimes, uphill running, 2 mile jogs timing myself, sometimes I'll throw in some boxing or wrestling. As long as I'm exercising my heart I'm doing what my goal is to do.

BigSpoon

BigSpoon

Awards
To the OP: you said you lost your 6-pack during your bulking cycle. Were you just not eating clean or...?

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
some days I ate clean and alot of the other days I cheated. I didnt entierly loose my 6 pack it just isnt as defined as it was before.

Dizmal

Dizmal

Awards
  • Established
Rosie is right. I used to do quite a bit of cardio. Now I just upped the intensity in the gym(no greater then 90 sec rest, mostly 60 secs max) and dropped the cardio. I still lift as heavy as ever and I've been losing more fat now than ever.

Of course I cleaned a lot of carbs from my diet and added more fats. So I think this helps me a lot. But for me the extra intensity and actually timing myself and keeping to the rest times during workouts has paid me back in spades. In muscle growth and fat loss.

Lift with intensity and keep the diet clean and below maintenance a few days a week and it will come off.

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
No one has mentioned one very important factor:

220-ageX70%=target heart rate for fat burn(roughly, depending on body type)

For me that's 130 bpm. That's VERY important when cutting. Calories burnt during the target zone will be predominately from fat. If you do higher intensity cardio like intervals and get your heart rate higher, you burn more calories, but not as many calories from fat. You could be burning off fat and instead are wasting energy needed for muscle (1500 extra calories for every extra 10 pounds, I think). So, you bulked on muscle and to help keep it on: lower that heart rate to target range and spend more time, like an hour instead of 30 min.

A caloric deficit will of course help you lose weight, but with proper cardio sessions you maximize fat burn.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
Great post, Rosie.

As mentioned several times in this thread, cardio is NOT a requirement for fat loss. Infact, cardio should not be thought of as a method of burning fat. It is simply a tool. Cardio is aerobic exercise and intended for heart health.

If you're in a calorie deficit, you're going to burn fat regardless if you're doing cardio or not.

3 sessions per week of 15-25 minutes is plenty of it. Just mix it up. I like to do HIIT sometimes, uphill running, 2 mile jogs timing myself, sometimes I'll throw in some boxing or wrestling. As long as I'm exercising my heart I'm doing what my goal is to do.
I agree, caloric deficit will burn fat but won't you lose size and muscle along with the fat? Isn't this why the pros do cardio as much as 2 times daily when cutting for a show while cutting carbs and upping protein?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I agree, caloric deficit will burn fat but won't you lose size and muscle along with the fat? Isn't this why the pros do cardio as much as 2 times daily when cutting for a show while cutting carbs and upping protein?
You will lose body mass, yes, when you lose fat, because you are losing fat mass, but the only size you will lose if you lose FAT is the size caused by the fat. Muscle mass does NOT have to be lost, and the PRIMARY aim of cutting should be to MAINTAIN YOUR CURRENT MUSCLE MASS.

Everyone does things differently, and the Pros don't always do things the most sensibly, either. In fact, you'll notice that a lot of them do not stay in a perpetual caloric deficit when cutting for a show, but calorie/carbohydrate cycle, which is the best nutrition/diet method for effective and successful fat loss.

On another note, cutting carbohydrates and upping protein does not mean that one will maintain their muscle mass and only lose fat if they stay in a caloric DEFICIT. It also depend on the deficit and how long one is on one, as well as a host of other factors when it comes to what ratio of fat:muscle/lean mass is lost.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
You will lose body mass, yes, when you lose fat, because you are losing fat mass, but the only size you will lose if you lose FAT is the size caused by the fat. Muscle mass does NOT have to be lost, and the PRIMARY aim of cutting should be to MAINTAIN YOUR CURRENT MUSCLE MASS.

Everyone does things differently, and the Pros don't always do things the most sensibly, either. In fact, you'll notice that a lot of them do not stay in a perpetual caloric deficit when cutting for a show, but calorie/carbohydrate cycle, which is the best nutrition/diet method for effective and successful fat loss.

On another note, cutting carbohydrates and upping protein does not mean that one will maintain their muscle mass and only lose fat if they stay in a caloric DEFICIT. It also depend on the deficit and how long one is on one, as well as a host of other factors when it comes to what ratio of fat:muscle/lean mass is lost.
I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. Yes, calorie defict thru diet will cut fat and weight but I feel most resort to this because it's the fastest and easier of two methods. Let's not forget cardio creates a calorie deficit in a good and healthy way by reving up your metabolizm. (Assuming of course one eats clean)

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
No one has mentioned one very important factor:

220-ageX70%=target heart rate for fat burn(roughly, depending on body type)

For me that's 130 bpm. That's VERY important when cutting. Calories burnt during the target zone will be predominately from fat. If you do higher intensity cardio like intervals and get your heart rate higher, you burn more calories, but not as many calories from fat. You could be burning off fat and instead are wasting energy needed for muscle (1500 extra calories for every extra 10 pounds, I think). So, you bulked on muscle and to help keep it on: lower that heart rate to target range and spend more time, like an hour instead of 30 min.

A caloric deficit will of course help you lose weight, but with proper cardio sessions you maximize fat burn.
Completely disagree here. As my article The 3 Keys to Fat Loss mentions:
"High intensity cardio is better than low intensity cardio for fat loss. Forget about the ‘Fat Burning Zone’; it does not matter what fuel you use during cardio, as your body will burn other substrates during the rest of the day (i.e. if you burn fat during cardio it will use CHO the rest of the day, and vice versa) (Norton, 2005)."

HIGH intensity cardio is far more efficient and effective for fat loss, and no, you do NOT "waste energy needed for muscle", especially if your nutrition is correct for fat loss for you.

I guess we will agree to disagree on this one. Yes, calorie defict thru diet will cut fat and weight but I feel most resort to this because it's the fastest and easier of two methods. Let's not forget cardio creates a calorie deficit in a good and healthy way by reving up your metabolizm. (Assuming of course one eats clean)
Not sure what you're disagreeing on: That you don't have to lose muscle when cutting, or that cutting carbohydrates and calories whilst upping protein does not mean that you will only lose fat and not muscle - because you can't argue with the truth.

ANY caloric deficit - whether from dieting or cardio - is going to cut fat and weight. However, faster is NOT better, and dieting by stupidly restricting calories is definitely not easier than simply maintaining your current caloric intake and adding in cardio. And there is certainly NO need to create even more of a caloric deficit through restricting calories AND adding in cardio.

Do not forget also that you CAN lose fat AND weight by NOT eating clean if you limit your calories - not the best way of doing it either.

Carcaya

Carcaya

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't underestimate the difference cardio makes in cutting. It is very important for nutrient delivery and proper fluid mechanics to occur in the body. Out of personal experience, i know of nothing that has revved my metabolism more than a super intense hiit session. Hell, cardio even helps with growth on a bulk via nutrient delivery. I think some people use the 'no cardio' thing as a crutch. Certainly not Rosie though, ya ripped beast.

To OP, a good 30 minute eliptical session isn't going to roast your muscle, if your diet is in line. It will only help.

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
alot of good info on this page guys. Thanks for the help!!!

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
Doing an excellent job, Rosie. I completely agree with everything you're saying.

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i do cardio everyday. 30min or more of walking..works for me

RAHHH

Awards
  • Established
diet is the bigger part over cardio or trainning during cut.
Id say 30-40min cardio 3-4 times a week is decent.
I would also rec 5-10g BCAAs right before cardio and Post-cardio (or during) to help hold onto muscle.

timmmah

timmmah

Awards
  • Established
@ Rosie: I searched through your article trying to dispute the sources of the information you gathered. I failed, I will look more into this idea that Lance Norton has of burning glycogen stores during cardio. Apparently the goal is to trick the body into burning fat during rest periods. Lance is his own experiment and his shreddedness leads me to find him a credible source.
Thank you

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
@ Rosie: I searched through your article trying to dispute the sources of the information you gathered. I failed, I will look more into this idea that Lance Norton has of burning glycogen stores during cardio. Apparently the goal is to trick the body into burning fat during rest periods. Lance is his own experiment and his shreddedness leads me to find him a credible source.
Thank you
No, the goal is not to trick the body into burning fat stores during recovery periods. The point is that it does NOT matter of what type of substrate is used DURING cardio - if you use fat (i.e. low intensity), then your body will use glycogen the rest of the day, and if you use glycogen (i.e. high intensity), then your body will use fat.

I can personally attest to the effects of high intensity cardio - pretty much next to NONE of my cardio is done at less than 80-85% of my maximum heart rate and I have NO issues when I want fat loss (which blows that "target fat burning zone" out of the water). Besides, who wants to spend 40-60 minutes or more doing cardio when they can get more effective results in ~20 minutes?!

Yes, DOCTOR LAYNE NORTON is a very credible source.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
On Saturday, August 7, 2010, Norton posts on his website that he is working on his doctorate. So before you get all caps lock on me, know you're source a little better.
He actually HAS his doctorate - I know because I keep in tabs with Layne personally.

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't underestimate the difference cardio makes in cutting. It is very important for nutrient delivery and proper fluid mechanics to occur in the body. Out of personal experience, i know of nothing that has revved my metabolism more than a super intense hiit session. Hell, cardio even helps with growth on a bulk via nutrient delivery. I think some people use the 'no cardio' thing as a crutch. Certainly not Rosie though, ya ripped beast.

To OP, a good 30 minute eliptical session isn't going to roast your muscle, if your diet is in line. It will only help.
Good points. Sure one can lose weight thru diet and calorie restriction alone. But why would you want to only restrict calories when the health benefits of cardio far exceeds the negatives. I'd rather see Fat/obease North America doing cario 40 minutes a day than on some unhealthy diet designed to sell books. Which is healthier? Yes you can lose fat wo cardio but it's not smart.

kingk0ng

kingk0ng

Awards
  • Established
No, the goal is not to trick the body into burning fat stores during recovery periods. The point is that it does NOT matter of what type of substrate is used DURING cardio - if you use fat (i.e. low intensity), then your body will use glycogen the rest of the day, and if you use glycogen (i.e. high intensity), then your body will use fat.

I can personally attest to the effects of high intensity cardio - pretty much next to NONE of my cardio is done at less than 80-85% of my maximum heart rate and I have NO issues when I want fat loss (which blows that "target fat burning zone" out of the water). Besides, who wants to spend 40-60 minutes or more doing cardio when they can get more effective results in ~20 minutes?!

Yes, DOCTOR LAYNE NORTON is a very credible source.
Great post.