New to this forum looking for some assistance

travnock

Awards
Wzup peoples?? I was recommended to this site by my cousin who started weight training after a knee surgery and enjoyed the rehad about turned it into a full time thing. I on the other hand have 2 problems. One im HANDICAP. I walk on forearm crutches (not the ones under ur arm but wrap around under ur elbow) so a lot of the so called cardio exercises i cant do (run, jumping jacks, bike riding, etc..) basically anything regarding primary leg use. I am a pretty good size now but i wanna add a lot of volume to my chest and i'd like to see my ab muscles but again.... Per my disability I cant do a complete sit up. A crunch, i can prob get about half of my back off the ground so i can get the muscle to respond. If pics would help I'll post but I need to know where CAN i start? can i lose the excess fat in my tummy area 1st which isnt much or can i go into a more strict died and into weight training. I've looked every where i've been told all the answers are here. Someone hook me up. FYI dont get mad at me but im posting this is seperate forums here so I make sure to reach all that can help me.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
Wzup peoples?? I was recommended to this site by my cousin who started weight training after a knee surgery and enjoyed the rehad about turned it into a full time thing. I on the other hand have 2 problems. One im HANDICAP. I walk on forearm crutches (not the ones under ur arm but wrap around under ur elbow) so a lot of the so called cardio exercises i cant do (run, jumping jacks, bike riding, etc..) basically anything regarding primary leg use. I am a pretty good size now but i wanna add a lot of volume to my chest and i'd like to see my ab muscles but again.... Per my disability I cant do a complete sit up. A crunch, i can prob get about half of my back off the ground so i can get the muscle to respond. If pics would help I'll post but I need to know where CAN i start? can i lose the excess fat in my tummy area 1st which isnt much or can i go into a more strict died and into weight training. I've looked every where i've been told all the answers are here. Someone hook me up. FYI dont get mad at me but im posting this is seperate forums here so I make sure to reach all that can help me.
First, handicap or no, you can still perform resistance exercises - you'll just have to work WITH your body.

Second, it may be a little difficult to add volume to your chest if you are NOT going to do Legs, since the primary compounds of squats and deadlifts are going to aid in muscle gain in your UPPER body.

Basically, before you can start anything you need to:
a. Make goals - be specific
b. Know your weaknesses and strengths
c. Know what you can and cannot do
d. Know your needs
Once you have those factors, then you can design a training programme SPECIFIC TO YOU for your goals and needs

If you want fat loss, know that you're NOT going to spot reduce the fat from your midsection - to get rid of that requires general fat loss, and fat loss is predominantly dependent on NUTRITION for success (or lack of).

I highly recommend reading The 3 Keys to fat Loss, as it comprehensively covers nutrition (and supplementation) and training for fat loss. The nutrition information and tips will be the most benefit for you, and once your goals and needs are more established, then I recommend perhaps getting a trainer to design you a specific training programme.

~Team APPNUT

travnock

Awards
First, handicap or no, you can still perform resistance exercises - you'll just have to work WITH your body.

Second, it may be a little difficult to add volume to your chest if you are NOT going to do Legs, since the primary compounds of squats and deadlifts are going to aid in muscle gain in your UPPER body.

Basically, before you can start anything you need to:
a. Make goals - be specific
b. Know your weaknesses and strengths
c. Know what you can and cannot do
d. Know your needs
Once you have those factors, then you can design a training programme SPECIFIC TO YOU for your goals and needs

If you want fat loss, know that you're NOT going to spot reduce the fat from your midsection - to get rid of that requires general fat loss, and fat loss is predominantly dependent on NUTRITION for success (or lack of).

The nutrition information and tips will be the most benefit for you, and once your goals and needs are more established, then I recommend perhaps getting a trainer to design you a specific training programme.

~Team APPNUT
See thats the thing, I have a vision on what I wanna look like but I dont know how or where to start. Im not fat or anything. One guy told me to trim down 1st, another said Im toned enough to start lifting right away. another said leave weights alone and do pushups and things like that. im lost... do i need to post a pic and describe what i want to lose and gain?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
See thats the thing, I have a vision on what I wanna look like but I dont know how or where to start. Im not fat or anything. One guy told me to trim down 1st, another said Im toned enough to start lifting right away. another said leave weights alone and do pushups and things like that. im lost... do i need to post a pic and describe what i want to lose and gain?
You have a vision of what you want to look like - that's a start. Now start putting some FIGURES and SPECIFICS to it. I know that we should aim for the starts, but you also have to be realistic - your genetics might now 'allow' you to become what you want to be like, or it may take a very long time.

You need to honestly assess yourself and where you are right now in relation to your 'goals'. Have your body composition measured (by a QUALIFIED individual) so that you know. If you're between 8-10% bodyfat, then you could work on gaining mass, since guys build mass best in this body composition range. If you're >10% bodyfat, then you may want to cut down to 10%, or, depending on how much more, start the muscle gain process now. It's up to you, really.

I do recommend going to see a professional trainer and nutritionist about it, so that they can assess you in PERSON - since a picture often does not really give an accurate indicator of one's physique, and we look different in person than in pictures - and have them critique you.

~Team APPNUT

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
You should see a personal trainer or another exercise professional for your goals