Got my testosterone checked

bigbull_21

Awards
Hi,

Got inspired to have my testosterone level checked after reading an article in a recent muscular development magazine. I'm a 24 year old guy, and it seems like my natural test levels suck as the results were-

412.99 ng/dl

I'm in the military and got it tested on base, they claim normal range is 241-827ng/dl. The magazine article said the high normal was more like 1200 as opposed to my doctors stated 827. This leads to several questions-

First, how do I get my natural level up to that 800+ figure? Keep in mind that being in the military and being concerned about my career, using drugs isn't an option I'm willing to consider at this point. However, I'm fairly certain that something needs to be done! My goals lately have been more geared towards muscular endurance as opposed to size, and it seems like I've been spinning my wheels the last 6 months or so. Despite eating a clean supposedly correct diet, my gains are minimal and lost quickly. Specifically, pullups, pushups, dips, run time, swim time, forced march time, etc. I drink plenty of water and sleep at least 7 hours a night 90 percent of the time.

Is my seemingly low testosterone level to blame? What are my options? A few times in the past I've tried a few prohormones...tried some of the muscletech stuff with no noticeable benefits (not even a placebo effect really) A few years ago I used a product called maxabol and that stuff made me feel really strong, really aggressive, I put on some good size, but I had a lot of hair loss.

Thanks in advance everybody,
John

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
Being as active as you are, ZMA may help. Athletic people often have depleted Zinc levels, which leads to reduced natural testosterone production.

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Being as active as you are, ZMA may help. Athletic people often have depleted Zinc levels, which leads to reduced natural testosterone production.
yep..

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
ZMA is a good choice but if you take that just buy zinc and magnesium seperate and save yourself a bunch of cash. Along with the ZM combo you could also try tribulus products or also products Like Red Kat. It has Eurycoma Longifolia Jack in it which is a plant reputed to have aphrodisiac properties. It is commonly known as Tongkat Ali in Malaysia. The effects of Sclaremax, the other ingredient in Red Kat, include its antithrombotic and antidepressant effects, as well as its stimulating effect on luteinizing hormone, via cyclic AMP, resulting in the production of Testosterone (in males).

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
What are your stats and what is your diet?

bigbull_21

Awards
What are your stats and what is your diet?
As far as stats I'm not sure what you are asking, so I'll try to guess and if I don't hit the nail on the head, let me know. I'm 6'3", 212lbs, most likely high teens low twentys bodyfat percentage.

As far as my diet being in the corps it isnt always easy to get the perfect diet in, but I think I do pretty well....breakfast is usually just some simple and complex carbs like a banana, some cereal, some gatorade....lunch is usually a large turkey sandwich (wheat bread, cheese, mustard) and either water or soda....dinner is usually a tri tip steak around 5-9oz, fat trimmed, some rice, big glass of milk....

I tend to average about half a gallon to a gallon of water a day, on top of any gatorade or soda I may consume.

Thanks to everyone who has responded thus far, all help is much appreciated.

John

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
Diet often affects testosterone levels. Looks to me like your diet is **** (sorry to be bearer of bad news) and could be affecting things, as well as overtraining etc. I know you are in the corp and I feel sorry because it must be hell at times eating good, but still.
First off, your protein is way too low...secondly, gatorate is just simple sugars and is only good around workouts if then. Add some protein in with breakfast. Turkey sandwich is decent, however its probably processed lunch meat and the bread is high GI. Dinner seems to be fine, but 3 meals a day? Also ditch the soda. No use for that...ever. Unless its diet and then help yourself.

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Hi,

Got inspired to have my testosterone level checked after reading an article in a recent muscular development magazine. I'm a 24 year old guy, and it seems like my natural test levels suck as the results were-

412.99 ng/dl
What time of day did you have the test done, had you worked out previously during the day, had you "rubbed one off" earlier in the day? Levels will change as the day goes on, they are usually highest in the morning and decrease during the day. Your levels aren't really that low, but I don't think you could be put on HRT with that level. I am 34 and my levels before HRT were usually between 220 and 280, and my doc put me on 150mg/week of test cyp and my levels stays around 450-500. You need to have the full range of tests done, ie total test, free and weak bound test, shbg, estradiol, etc to see if you have a problem.

bigbull_21

Awards
What time of day did you have the test done, had you worked out previously during the day, had you "rubbed one off" earlier in the day? Levels will change as the day goes on, they are usually highest in the morning and decrease during the day. Your levels aren't really that low, but I don't think you could be put on HRT with that level. I am 34 and my levels before HRT were usually between 220 and 280, and my doc put me on 150mg/week of test cyp and my levels stays around 450-500. You need to have the full range of tests done, ie total test, free and weak bound test, shbg, estradiol, etc to see if you have a problem.
Hey Jeff-

I got the blood test first thing in the morning...around 0730...they had me fast 12 hours, I don't recall if I worked out the day prior to the test or not...if so it was probably running and calisthenics in the morning and swimming in the afternoon. Didn't rub one out the morning of the test...may have the night prior!

Got another test done, results were:

Free Test- 155 pg/mL the navy's range said 34 to 194...so according to them I'm doing ok..but are their standards low?

Not sure what this one was-

Testosterone F/W BND 332ng/dl range 84-402 good right?

Total Test- this one was better than the first test I had done a week ago-

553ng/dl

This second test was taken a little later in the morning than the first test.

So, does anyone know if the military's above healthy ranges are conservative? Thanks!

John

bigbull_21

Awards
Diet often affects testosterone levels. Looks to me like your diet is **** (sorry to be bearer of bad news) and could be affecting things, as well as overtraining etc. I know you are in the corp and I feel sorry because it must be hell at times eating good, but still.
First off, your protein is way too low...secondly, gatorate is just simple sugars and is only good around workouts if then. Add some protein in with breakfast. Turkey sandwich is decent, however its probably processed lunch meat and the bread is high GI. Dinner seems to be fine, but 3 meals a day? Also ditch the soda. No use for that...ever. Unless its diet and then help yourself.
Scottyo-
Honesty is the best policy brother...thanks for being blunt! Where I'm at now isn't so hard to get good food...but where I've been in the past and where I'm going...damn! One or two MREs a day and some hot dirty water....not conducive to fitness...nor is the 3 hours of sleep a night on average. But right now I'm in stateside and have the means to eat better.

I was under the impression that gatorade had potassium and other stuff that was more effective at hydrating you?

Adding protein to my breakfast will help my muscular endurance? I'm probably out of place on this tread considering my goals are just being able to do many pullups pushups dips and other calisthenic exercises along with running and swimming fast and for long periods of time. I guess sort of like a triathalete.

Yup the turkey sandwiches are processed...though I got a george foreman grill so maybe I'll start making fresh sandwiches.

DobermanXXL

Awards
sleep
zma
EFAs
possibly some other supps like tribulus that stimulates the LH gland

Jeff

Awards
  • Established
Hey Jeff-

Free Test- 155 pg/mL the navy's range said 34 to 194...so according to them I'm doing ok..but are their standards low?

Not sure what this one was-

Testosterone F/W BND 332ng/dl range 84-402 good right?
Those number don't look bad at all, and the ranges they use are pretty much the standard. The F/W BND is the Free and Weakly bound together, this is the test that is 'active' in your system,
see here http://www.gpnotebook.co.uk/cache/-1617297345.htm

Scottyo

Awards
  • Established
The electroyltes in gatorade are vastly overrated unless you are using it during intense training. As for your training and diet....more protein is still needed IMO. If nothing else, add a scoop of any whey to the breakfast and then your starting to look better. Also, Id replace the gatorade with milk or water. If you are worried about potassium intake, the banana would help as well as sweet potatos (yams). Despite different training, your dietary needs are not that much different then other athletes/bodybuilders. Protein need not be as high but at least 175 grams for a guy your size.