HIIT cardio and the calories burned.

F

fmfws185

Awards
I do hiit cardio every other day. I have seen good results with it but I don't really know the science behind it.
I know that it makes ur body burn calories the whole day.
But by how much.
How many calories would I be burning at rest on cardio days compared to non cardio day?
2x mor 3x more?
And how much fat would someone lose when doing hiit compared to jst jogging?
I don't know this because my diet and routine are on point and even if I didn't do the hiit I would still be losing the fat

Some one shed some light on this please

SBT

SBT

Awards
your metabolism definitely stays more elevated for longer after hiit, but i don't know the exacts.

i would guess it varies person to person

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do hiit cardio every other day. I have seen good results with it but I don't really know the science behind it.
But by how much.

How many calories would I be burning at rest on cardio days compared to non cardio day?
2x mor 3x more?
I don't know this because my diet and routine are on point and even if I didn't do the hiit I would still be losing the fat

Since everyone is different, no one can tell you by how much more your body burns calories over the course of the day if you do HIIT as opposed to just low-intensity, steady-state cardio - just know that it DOES.

How many calories your body burns are rest on cardio as opposed to cardio days will depend on far more than the cardio done, like whether or not you do resistance training on those days, eating habits, age, sex, muscle mass, etc.

It's also proven that high intensity cardio burns more fat than low-intensity, steady-state cardio. I actually have just written a brief article on high-intensity versus low-intensity cardio for fat loss for LG - it will be up on their new website (when the website is complete).

~Team APPNUT

F

fmfws185

Awards
Since everyone is different, no one can tell you by how much more your body burns calories over the course of the day if you do HIIT as opposed to just low-intensity, steady-state cardio - just know that it DOES.

How many calories your body burns are rest on cardio as opposed to cardio days will depend on far more than the cardio done, like whether or not you do resistance training on those days, eating habits, age, sex, muscle mass, etc.

It's also proven that high intensity cardio burns more fat than low-intensity, steady-state cardio. I actually have just written a brief article on high-intensity versus low-intensity cardio for fat loss for LG - it will be up on their new website (when the website is complete).

~Team APPNUT
I would be very interested in reading that article.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
But by how much.
2x mor 3x more?

A simple analogy of the variance in caloric expenditure in comparing static cardio and HIIT, is imagine a car that drives at a steady pace on the freeway for a distance of 10 miles and the gas consumption that requires, versus a car going from 0-60 from street light to street light for 10 miles and how much more gas (aka kcals) consumption that requires.

There's a more complex explanation involving Heart Rate, Heart Rhythm, Respiration Rhythm, Muscle Rhythm, Blood/Oxygen Demand & Circulation, Oxygen Debt and Muscle Adaptation that all equates to over-all increased metabolism. Not to mention some endocrinological effects that HIIT elicits that static cardio does not. However, without the need to understand all the mumbo jumbo, my first paragraph should paint some general clarity.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
A simple analogy of the variance in caloric expenditure in comparing static cardio and HIIT, is imagine a car that drives at a steady pace on the freeway for a distance of 10 miles and the gas consumption that requires, versus a car going from 0-60 from street light to street light for 10 miles and how much more gas (aka kcals) consumption that requires.

There's a more complex explanation involving Heart Rate, Heart Rhythm, Respiration Rhythm, Muscle Rhythm, Blood/Oxygen Demand & Circulation, Oxygen Debt and Muscle Adaptation that all equates to over-all increased metabolism. Not to mention some endocrinological effects that HIIT elicits that static cardio does not. However, without the need to understand all the mumbo jumbo, my first paragraph should paint some general clarity.
Excellent analogy!

F

fmfws185

Awards

Wow that's pretty good man.
Thanx that makes more sense

S

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

~Team APPNUT
I normally perform HIIT on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. How should I take my BCAA complex, in other words should I take BCAA before HIIT, during and/or after? If so, are the dosing guidelines weight specific? I'm not sure how many grams I should be taking without going overboard.

Thanks in advance for any answers you can provide.

T

TeamT10

Awards
I normally perform HIIT on an empty stomach, first thing in the morning. How should I take my BCAA complex, in other words should I take BCAA before HIIT, during and/or after? If so, are the dosing guidelines weight specific? I'm not sure how many grams I should be taking without going overboard.

Personally, i switched to empty stomache HIIT in the mornings, and i love it, i also saw a far more significant improvement in body composition after a month, i would stick with empty stomache, take everything after

S

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Personally, i switched to empty stomache HIIT in the mornings, and i love it, i also saw a far more significant improvement in body composition after a month, i would stick with empty stomache, take everything after
I love HIIT on an empty stomach as well, but I understand that BCAA supplementation helps to preserve muscle during high intensity training?

T

TeamT10

Awards
I love HIIT on an empty stomach as well, but I understand that BCAA supplementation helps to preserve during high intensity training?
If so, then that is definitely something I wasnt aware of, but again, I know im new to the game, im interested to see what others have to say here then

3clipseGT

3clipseGT

On my grind
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I would sip them during the HIIT cardio.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established

You can dose pre, during, and/or after your HIIT. Dosing pre means you will be less catabolic. Dosing during can be quite difficult, especially if you're doing efforts, since drinking might not be able to be done. Dosing post means recovery will be better.

I use anywhere from 10.5-21g, but 10g per dose is sufficient.

~Team APPNUT

T

TeamT10

Awards
You can dose pre, during, and/or after your HIIT. Dosing pre means you will be less catabolic. Dosing during can be quite difficult, especially if you're doing efforts, since drinking might not be able to be done. Dosing post means recovery will be better.

~Team APPNUT
Ya i dont see how you can easily dose during with something like HIIT sprints, just seems like you would have to stop, making it hard at like a 60/60interval

But thanks for the dose recommendation

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Actually, if you look at metabolic equations for running versus walking with a 0% grade the difference co efficient is 0.1. A minor difference; thus, running a mile or walking a mile burns approximately the same amount of kcalories (not going into endocrinological physiology nor environmental physiology, just work versus energy cost). Kcals burned per minute on the other hand is equivocally higher with running; however, total caloric expenditure over distance is approximately the same. Now, when percent grade is a coefficient, depending on velocity and percent grade running can be more biomechanically efficient and require less energy to perform.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Actually, if you look at metabolic equations for running versus walking with a 0% grade the difference co efficient is 0.1. A minor difference; thus, running a mile or walking a mile burns approximately the same amount of kcalories (not going into endocrinological physiology nor environmental physiology, just work versus energy cost). Kcals burned per minute on the other hand is equivocally higher with running; however, total caloric expenditure over distance is approximately the same. Now, when percent grade is a coefficient, depending on velocity and percent grade running can be more biomechanically efficient and require less energy to perform.
Which is why I use a general analogy that makes sense to normal people. Academic technical speak only confuses people if they are not familiar with the intricacies and technicalities of particular concepts. It's like referring to supplements in nomemclatures to somebody who's best experience with supps is creatine. You start talking about co-efficients and go into over intellectual paintings of a given explanation, you've stopped helping and started flexing. Whether you intended to or not, that's how it comes off.

Minus the micro technical aspect of distance traveled in my analogy, the macro comparison of HIIT vs static cardio using steady freeway drive vs light signal to light signal sprints still stands. I'm fine with giving college grade lectures if asked, but when someone doesn't comprehend with much depth the difference between HIIT and static cardio, the priority is to provide general clarity, not confusing technicalities, which I understand, you were not wrong factually, in pointing out.

G

gymrat827

Awards
  • Established
If you consume any thing during or intra workout your body will use that for fuel. I take pre workoutbcaa &creatine but I take them one hr pre wo

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Which is why I use a general analogy that makes sense to normal people. Academic technical speak only confuses people if they are not familiar with the intricacies and technicalities of particular concepts. It's like referring to supplements in nomemclatures to somebody who's best experience with supps is creatine. You start talking about co-efficients and go into over intellectual paintings of a given explanation, you've stopped helping and started flexing. Whether you intended to or not, that's how it comes off.

Minus the micro technical aspect of distance traveled in my analogy, the macro comparison of HIIT vs static cardio using steady freeway drive vs light signal to light signal sprints still stands. I'm fine with giving college grade lectures if asked, but when someone doesn't comprehend with much depth the difference between HIIT and static cardio, the priority is to provide general clarity, not confusing technicalities, which I understand, you were not wrong factually, in pointing out.
I don't simplify unless asked. I try to keep the level of information superficial on message boards so the majority can conceptualize. I'm a grad student going for a doctorate in exercise physiology; that's the nature of how I communicate.

S

southpaw23

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

~Team APPNUT
Thanks Rosie!

scherbs

scherbs

Awards
  • Established
Russy_russ
I hate to be overly critical (I find your posts generally well informed and helpful), but when I was getting my graduate degree, it was always imparted on me that the mark of truly grasping a concept is possessing the ability to explain it so simply that "your grandmother could understand it".
I hate it when academics use high brow language to obscure their arguments--it smacks to me of a defense mechanism.

T

TeamT10

Awards
Russy_russ
I hate to be overly critical (I find your posts generally well informed and helpful), but when I was getting my graduate degree, it was always imparted on me that the mark of truly grasping a concept is possessing the ability to explain it so simply that "your grandmother could understand it".
I hate it when academics use high brow language to obscure their arguments--it smacks to me of a defense mechanism.
takes a student to quote an article, but a wise man to put it in his own way...

this is a helpful forum, i got to be honest, i agree with this response entirely, really makes me think you cant break it down for those of us trying to learn...

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would be very interested in reading that article.
Article in next post.

takes a student to quote an article, but a wise man to put it in his own way...

this is a helpful forum, i got to be honest, i agree with this response entirely, really makes me think you cant break it down for those of us trying to learn...
You actually learn during a degree to break things down and simplify them - it's a skill taught that has to be learnt. I definitely had to do this, and I must admit that it was harder at first, but you just have to think as if you're starting from scratch teaching someone who has no idea what you're talking about, saying it so that they understand.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
High Intensity Cardio for More Effective Fat Loss

THE CARDIO DEBATE FOR FAT LOSS:
HIGH INTENSITY VERSUS LOW INTENSITY

Written for LG Sciences by Rosie Chee Scott, BExSpSc
18 August 2010

Introduction

It is a mistaken belief that long and slow, low intensity cardio is best for fat loss because it utilizes the aerobic system and burns fat during exercise. High intensity cardio is actually far superior and more effective for fat loss than low intensity cardio for several reasons. This article will briefly discuss the differences in high intensity and low intensity cardio, outlining the reasons why high intensity cardio is more efficient and effective for fat loss.

Time Efficiency

High intensity cardio requires less time to perform an effective session than low intensity cardio, which makes it a much more convenient mode of cardio for those with limited time in which to train.

Substrates Used

Although high intensity cardio primarily uses carbohydrates for fuel, the higher oxygen deficit post-training causes the body to use fat for energy. High intensity cardio elicits a higher work response from the body than low intensity cardio, thus burning more overall calories throughout the day, even if not during the training session. Training the body to perform at a high intensity will also increase your body’s tolerance for work, and therefore the body will burn fat at a higher level, sparing muscle glycogen.

Because of the higher force of muscle contraction during high intensity cardio, there is a greater rate of GLUT-4 translocation within the muscles, creating a stronger nutrient repartitioning effect, which in turn enables the body more efficient and effective used of substrates.

Oxygen Utilization

High intensity cardio has a higher oxygen deficit than low intensity cardio. Training with a higher oxygen deficit actually increases the body’s maximum oxygen capacity more than low intensity cardio. The higher the body’s maximum oxygen capacity, the more efficient the body is at oxygen transportation, and thus more efficient the body is at burning fat, since fat requires oxygen to be oxidized.

Hormonal Responses

High intensity cardio elicits a similar hormonal response from the body as resistance training does, but without the stress and strain on the body and the nervous system that resistance training has. Higher insulin sensitivity, more Growth Hormone and IGF-1 release makes the body more effective at burning fat.

Muscle Mass

Burning fewer calories during the training session makes high intensity cardio more muscle sparing and less catabolic than low intensity cardio.

High intensity cardio uses fast oxidative (i.e. Type IIa) and fast glycolytic (i.e. Type IIb) muscle fibres. Muscle hypertrophy occurs primarily through chronic anaerobic, high-intensity exercise. The more muscle mass an individual has, the greater the ability of their body to burn fat.

Conclusion

If you want to lose fat quickly and efficiently, high intensity cardio is the best mode of cardio to incorporate into your training programme. Not only does it require less time to complete, but it burns more overall calories throughout the day. High intensity cardio makes the body more efficient at using oxygen and elicits the same hormonal response as resistance training - without the stress on the body - allowing for the same fat burning ability. High intensity exercise is also muscle sparing, due to the shorter exercise period performed and less calories burned during the session, allowing the body to be a more effective fat burning machine, since more muscle mass means a greater ability for the body to lose fat.

REFERENCES

McArdle, W. D., Katch, F. I. & Katch, V. L. (2007). Exercise physiology: Energy, nutrition, and human performance (6th ed.). USA: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins.

Norton, L. (2005). A unique combination of science & experiment-based pre-contest advice. Retrieved 18 August, 2010, from Bodybuilding.com - A Unique Combination Of Science And Experience Based Pre-Contest Advice. - Layne Norton.

Please note that this article provides a very brief overview on why high intensity cardio is more effective than low intensity cardio for fat loss. If a more in-depth explanation is required, I recommend doing some personal research on the topic.

R

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I'm pretty sure I know how to learn and understand material if I've made it this far in academics. I could simplify like I said in my previous post, but not unless asked. I also keep information at a basic and superficial level as previously mentioned for the majority. If anyone feels like they need a further explanation feel free to seed me a PM.