Can protein powder go bad?

Rock Lee

Awards
I need to start replacing my protein soon and was wondering if there is a danger with ordering too much in that some of it will "go bad" before it's used.

For example sometimes I notice when I use calcium caseinate powder, I get these weird clear chunks in my shake, even though the powder seems fine. I tried to grind the powder up even more, so it was even more powdery when I tossed it into the shake, but the chunks still appeared. Bad tastes I can stomach fairly well, but the feeling of chunks going down your throat as you're trying to chug--I can't.

Anyway is that normal for calcium caseinate? I've heard it's inferior to micellar casein (something I didn't really know when I first ordered it), so is this one of the cons when comparing the two? Or has the protein powder simply gone bad (and if so can this happen to all types of protein powders?)?

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
I believe the protein will stay good for a couple of years, as long as it is stored properly. What method are you using to mix it? If you use a spoon to stir, clumps usually develope. I find that using either a shaker cup, or plastic water bottle (a poor man's shaker cup) works well, and I get no lumps.

DR.D

DR.D

Awards
  • Established
I need to start replacing my protein soon and was wondering if there is a danger with ordering too much in that some of it will "go bad" before it's used.

For example sometimes I notice when I use calcium caseinate powder, I get these weird clear chunks in my shake, even though the powder seems fine. I tried to grind the powder up even more, so it was even more powdery when I tossed it into the shake, but the chunks still appeared. Bad tastes I can stomach fairly well, but the feeling of chunks going down your throat as you're trying to chug--I can't.

Anyway is that normal for calcium caseinate? I've heard it's inferior to micellar casein (something I didn't really know when I first ordered it), so is this one of the cons when comparing the two? Or has the protein powder simply gone bad (and if so can this happen to all types of protein powders?)?
Calcium caseinate is stable for at least up to five years in it's dry form if kept cool. I don't know about other proteins, but I'm useing some four year old soy I found in the closet right now and it seems fine.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
EpiStrong Supplements 30
LJ57 Supplements 23
LJ57 Supplements 1
akboom87 Supplements 34
marshmallow man Supplements 3