Taking whey in combination with whole food?

1. Registered User

Taking whey in combination with whole food?

If I was trying to eat 50 grams of protein at each meal and I had for example a can of tuna with 32.5 grams of protein, could I then for the remaining 17.5 take in a scoop of whey? I mean I know that whey is the fastest acting protein, but would the fact that I'm taking in whole food at the same time slow it down? Or should I still be taking in a mixture of whey, egg white, and caseinate protein powders? I usually eat a whole food plus whey meal every 2-3 hours throughout the day (besides before/after training) then at bedtime I drink a scoop of whey and eat a serving or 2 of cottage cheese. I'm just wanting to see if I'm doing good or wasting my time and whey.

2. Registered User

I do the same thing occasionaly. I think the food slows the whey absorption a bit.
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Probably would slow down just a little.

I mix whey with meals all the time. Since I'm too lazy to cook breakfast, I often put about 44 grams worth in a bowl of kashi, mixed grain oats and milk for breakfast. Add some flax oil to the top and poof, there is a hearty breakfast..for me at least, lol.
    •   

4. Registered User

I was just looking at ON's Any Whey which is protein specifically made to be added to foods/drinks. The ingredients are just WPI, WPC, and whey protein hydrolysate, so I guess whey is the best protein to add to food?
  5. Registered User

I don't see a problem with mixing whey to foods, such as oatmeal, cottage cheese, etc. Or drinking a small shake with a meal. If you are looking for a brand of whey, try the unflavored from All the Whey. Kmac gave it a good rating in a thread in the sponsor section. That's going to be my next purchase.
  6. Registered User

bump this discussion.
  7. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.

when i'm eating whole food, i try to get all the protein from the food. but sometimes, i just ain't hungry for ****, so the whey protein comes in handy for those times.
  8. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Ditto, I try to get enough protein via real food but there's times that I end up relying on whey as sort of a MRP. I view it as "something is better than nothing".. it may not be ideal but it staves off catabolisis a little.
  9. -Dalla Hunga-
    Somewhere between a 4x12 stack and a power rack...

I drink whey shakes all day long when Im trying to bulk. A sip here, a sip there, with meals, etc. It absorbs so fast that I figure streaming it in throughout the day will prove beneficial. I always try do down a good carb source with it - oatmeal, brown rice, grape nuts, etc.

Seems to be working - I get about 25% of my protien intake from whey and Im making good gains.

BV
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Whole food vs whey in morning?
    By sergroc129 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 05-10-2013, 07:11 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-12-2008, 06:47 PM
  3. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-28-2007, 02:07 AM
  4. Whole food vs. whey
    By Rufio in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 07-20-2007, 06:26 AM
  5. Take Methylated Oral Steroids with food???
    By BigMattTx in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-03-2005, 04:50 PM