Metabolism very low after long keto diet. Need help.

Aclaim

Awards
Hi

I have been dieting with a keto diet from jan 5 til march 26. I have lost about 25 pound duing that time. I have been taking a few weeks with calorie balans during this period when needed to gain energy and letting the body recover.

I used a type of keto diet with about 75g fat and about 275g protein a day with a starting weight of 215 lb. When I stoped the diet I weigh 188 lb and went on a 2 week vacation with a all you can eat buffet.

I gained about 9 lb so I went to my doctor and did a metabolic blood test and it came back pretty low.

I didn't think much about it then but now I have been adding to my diet to get to a plus calorie state to start building again. I have been adding carbs to my first two meals and I eat a little more protein as well. It's not much but I still put weight to fast.

How do I turn this thing around? I want to go on a diet again soon to lower my bodyfat. But I don't want to lower my metabolism more.

My mealplan during diet.

1 bf: 20g protein
2 bf: Scramble eggs with deli turkey and broccoli(6 egg whites 1 egg and 80g turkey) Added 50g of oatmeal at the later part of the diet.

Meal1: Chicken file with almonds or peanutbutter and broccoli (220g ready to eat chickenfile and 25g of fat source).

Snack: 20g protein

Meal 2: Chicken file with almonds or peanutbutter(220g ready to eat chickenfile and 25g of fat source).

Snack: 20g protein (rest day)
Workout: 20g slowcarbs 45 min before workout.
20g protein + 50g fastcarbs 15 min before workout.
20g protein during workout.

Nightmeal: Tuna (220-240g) in water 1 avocado, broccoli or salad.

Added 1 or 2 fruits at the end of the diet as well.

I used one low protein day a week with only about 60-80g protein and some carbs and mostly fat and veggies

I'm 31 5'11 workout 3 times a week using a combo of Bill Starr 5x5 routine and Wendler's 5/3/1

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I've done the same, but without the blood test to prove it. I've since then been on a number of mini bulk cycles, taking more carbs but wth nutrient re-partioners. These have helped massively, because although I put some fat it was low compared to the muscle. I did mini cuts after each bulk but dropping my cals and not completely cutting out the carbs or going to low on the cals. Did a few of these and now thank God I'm just sub 10% body fat and can few badly easily for a few days without putting any fat on. Also now when I drop my cals by say 300 I start losing fat and consistenly. No more extreme dieting for me!!

Aclaim

Awards
Sounds like a good plan. How long were the cycles? And how often did you workout and how often did you do cardio?

AM360

Awards
Sounds like your Carb sensitive.. have you tried CKD

nattydisaster

nattydisaster

PESCIENCE.com
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try just protein in the morning, for the first hour. No carbs or fat, just pure protein.

If youre looking for supplementation help, Alpha-T2 increases metabolism

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Hi

I have been dieting with a keto diet from jan 5 til march 26. I have lost about 25 pound duing that time. I have been taking a few weeks with calorie balans during this period when needed to gain energy and letting the body recover.

I used a type of keto diet with about 75g fat and about 275g protein a day with a starting weight of 215 lb. When I stoped the diet I weigh 188 lb and went on a 2 week vacation with a all you can eat buffet.

I gained about 9 lb so I went to my doctor and did a metabolic blood test and it came back pretty low.

I didn't think much about it then but now I have been adding to my diet to get to a plus calorie state to start building again. I have been adding carbs to my first two meals and I eat a little more protein as well. It's not much but I still put weight to fast.

How do I turn this thing around? I want to go on a diet again soon to lower my bodyfat. But I don't want to lower my metabolism more.

My mealplan during diet.

1 bf: 20g protein
2 bf: Scramble eggs with deli turkey and broccoli(6 egg whites 1 egg and 80g turkey) Added 50g of oatmeal at the later part of the diet.

Meal1: Chicken file with almonds or peanutbutter and broccoli (220g ready to eat chickenfile and 25g of fat source).

Snack: 20g protein

Meal 2: Chicken file with almonds or peanutbutter(220g ready to eat chickenfile and 25g of fat source).

Snack: 20g protein (rest day)
Workout: 20g slowcarbs 45 min before workout.
20g protein + 50g fastcarbs 15 min before workout.
20g protein during workout.

Nightmeal: Tuna (220-240g) in water 1 avocado, broccoli or salad.

Added 1 or 2 fruits at the end of the diet as well.

I used one low protein day a week with only about 60-80g protein and some carbs and mostly fat and veggies

I'm 31 5'11 workout 3 times a week using a combo of Bill Starr 5x5 routine and Wendler's 5/3/1

The First Body Rule when your on diet is DOWN YOUR THYROIDS OUTPUT TO MANTAIN THE METABOLISM but not matter what type of diet you need feed your body CORRECTLY and EFFICIENTLY for do this naturally YOUR BODY NEED iodine:

Three iodine molecules are added to make T3 (triiodothyronine), and four for T4 (thyroxine) the two key hormones produced by the thyroid gland so iodine is essential to the production of these two hormones of the master gland of metabolism.

another thing if you are on keto you need modify your training weights sessions remember the body is out of glycogen, the only real use for glycogen is for heavy lifting.

:bigok:

alih92

Awards
Three iodine molecules are added to make T3 (triiodothyronine), and four for T4 (thyroxine) the two key hormones produced by the thyroid gland so iodine is essential to the production of these two hormones of the master gland of metabolism.

another thing if you are on keto you need modify your training weights sessions remember the body is out of glycogen, the only real use for glycogen is for heavy lifting.
:bigok:
What sources of iodine do you recommend and what do you mean modify weight lifting sessions?

MAxximal

MAxximal

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What sources of iodine do you recommend and what do you mean modify weight lifting sessions?
(cheap) sea salt 120mg-150mg daily and up your water intake for flush the excess

http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&d*****69

http://www.iodinesource.com/HistoryOfIodine.asp

for the Keto diet if you do a heavy weight sessions your body has complete depleted of glycogen later you have feel like piece of crap so he needs adapts to the shift of energy source and be ready for cortisol UP

20g-40g of complex carbs BEFORE LIFTING some persons can do ketosis @ 40g but everyone is diferent with this your body IS FORCED TO USE THIS CARBS AND THEN NO HAVE TIME TO STORE THEM!

B-complex and Vitamin C (mineral ascorbate)

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
one way to get your metabolism up is to eat more frequently. If you're eating 5 times a day...try eating 7-8 times a day. Just make sure you are still eating for your goals.