Lose weight and gain muscle?

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.33%

Lose weight and gain muscle?

I'm trying to figure out of this is possible or not. I've looked over this site, and the general consensus seems to be you must either bulk up or cut down. The main problem is I'm already overweight, so I don't understand why I would need to continue to cram myself full of extra calories. Does anyone have a citation with empirical data that says bulking up is the most efficient way to put on muscle mass, regardless of being overweight?

I weigh around 233 and I've been dropping a couple pounds a week since a began taking my diet seriously. My protein intake is averaging around 230g per day. My average calorie intake is roughly 2500, spread over 6 meals. I'm burning roughly 900 calories a day from cardio and weight training. My goal is to gain ten pounds of muscle and drop 40 pounds of fat.

Thanks in advance for any advice or information that is given.

Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

honestly, just workout, and check results each week, if your gaining, no bueno.

if your loosing too quick, then try and increase calories to a loss of 2lb per week NO MORE

the first 2 weeks thoguh you may drop a lot more then that thoguh.
  3. Banned
    Stats
    5'10"  BIG lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    54.98%
    Achievements Posting Pro

each person has a maintenance level of calories for the body weight to remain constant.
    adding muscle requires a calorie surplus.
    losing muscle requires a calorie deficit,

therefore it is next to impossible to accomplish both at the same time.
    •   

4. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.88%

It is possible, If you say you are over weight i would recommend cutting down to about where you want to be then either lean bulk, or recomp the rest of the way down.. you are losing weight right now because you just recently cleaned your diet up, that will slow down or stop completely soon enough.. But then again at 2500 cals is cutting cals for me..

Check this out for recomp help
    "But i want to get big AND ripped!" How to run a RECOMP cycle
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

Quote Originally Posted by zodiiac523 View Post
    It is possible, If you say you are over weight i would recommend cutting down to about where you want to be then either lean bulk, or recomp the rest of the way down.. you are losing weight right now because you just recently cleaned your diet up, that will slow down or stop completely soon enough.. But then again at 2500 cals is cutting cals for me..

Check this out for recomp help
    "But i want to get big AND ripped!" How to run a RECOMP cycle
    i would NOT reccommend steroid use art this time.

look at it for educational info on dieting.
  6. Advanced Member
    Stats
    5'11"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.88%

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post

Word, That what it was meant for, forgot it was in the steroid section and mentions cycles in there...
  7. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    6.33%

Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it! I'll take the advice given and continue to educate myself on nutrition and dieting. I dabbled in the harder supplements several years ago, but my nutrition was poor. I'll explore that avenue once again after I get my weight situated.
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20.55%

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Thanks for all the feedback. I really appreciate it! I'll take the advice given and continue to educate myself on nutrition and dieting. I dabbled in the harder supplements several years ago, but my nutrition was poor. I'll explore that avenue once again after I get my weight situated.
    yea man just lift do cardio, do activities outside, do your thing. dont starve yourself or force yourself to lose so fast and youll retain most muscle if not all and drop around it.

itll look good on ya bro you can do it.

and dont add in burners.

id look into a partioning supplement, recompadrol, gbol, AP, needtoslin. whatever you feel will work best for you
  9. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68.64%

Fat doesn't just go and convert to muscle like magic unfortunately. Your body might just get stuck at a point if you aren't dieting to lose the fat or bulking to build muscle with lots of protein. If you get a super clean diet with good protein and workout hard you will probably lose some decent fat and gain strength and muscle for a little while. Then decide if you want to cut or keep bulking from there.
  10. Banned
    Stats
    6'1"  220 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    87.59%

Since it sounds like your just starting it is possible to gain muscle and loss fat at the same time well overweight. If you keep a small deficeit maybe about 500 cal a day and as long as you lift heavy and try to keep alot of food post workout for better partitioning and yo should be good.
    The other option is to calorie cycle. Jcd fitness had an article on it. He has a small cal surplus on workout days followed by small deficits. So in the end you average out to maintainance calories. Generally no weigh will be lost or gained but you will have replaced a small amout of muscle with the burned fat. Though this is a very slow process.

The fastest way would be to do a strict PSFM look up rapid fat loss by Lyle mcdonald and shoot for 3-4 lb a week fat loss drop the weight and than bulk. When over weight you can actually gain small amounts of muscle at the start of working out even on such a large deficeit. My brother a actually did and now has lost fat and managed to fill out alot but it has taken some time.
  11. PESCIENCE.com
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by crazyfool405 View Post

Agreed. Good diet and exercise, and solid supplements
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  12. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    75.27%

It is possible, but it is definitely gonna be a sloooooooow process. You are going to have to pay close attention to your calorie intake and keep your foods really clean like chicken, eggs, brown rice, yams, and green vegetables. I would say if you want to lose 40 lbs of fat I would run a cut for awhile with a strength building program so you don't lose it then start packing on the muscle weight.
  13. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  202 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.82%

Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Agreed. Good diet and exercise, and solid supplements
    Id suggest staying away from the supp path for the time being. Eventually with sound advice from these boards you will start to lose fat. When your weekly losses start to slow, or completely stagnate you should start supplementing, but give a clean diet and exercise a chance first.

As for your calorie intake... You can use all the online calculators you want, but keep in mind that none of them were designed with your specific genetics in mind.

The best advice I can offer is to keep a diary. I dont personally count calories, but for some people it works. Just log what you eat, when you eat it and how your feeling. From time to time switch it up, eating more/ less macros in varying proportions to find out what works best for you. Its a learning game, and if you blindly lift weights and eat however many calories Joe Blow tells you too, your robbing yourself.

Take the time to learn about weight lifting and proper nutrition. If the interest is in your head, it will soon show up in the mirror.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-16-2009, 08:28 PM
  2. Replies: 73
    Last Post: 04-13-2009, 02:31 PM
  3. Gain weight, but lose flexability and stamina?
    By someguy1984 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-23-2009, 01:09 PM
  4. need help me lose weight and gain muscle mass
    By aintfrreshazi in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 01-10-2008, 11:22 AM
  5. Want to gain muscle+lose fat on M1T
    By Phenomenal in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:47 PM