high protein, low carb snacks

psywzrd

Awards
  • Established
What do you guys eat as a convenient high protein, low carb snack that is easy to pack and doesn't need to be cooked, blended, etc? I'm trying to cut out as many carbs as possible and I'm thinking about eliminating one of my two protein bars per day (I may end up eliminating both if I can find a good substitute that I don't get sick of). My protein bar has 16g of protein, 20g of carbs and 7g of fat per bar so I would ideally like something that has at least the same amount of protein and really low or no carbs. Nuts would seem to be a good choice but they're high in fat and not quite high enough in protein. I can't stand canned tuna or cottage cheese so they're out too. Any good ideas?

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
Canned chicken breast with some hot sauce or salsa mixed in with it. Or, 1/2lb of deli meat such as turkey, chicken, or roast beef.

NPursuit

Awards
  • Established
hard boiled eggs, peanut butter, and deli meats are my favorite convenient meals.

mike02885

Awards
i know u said u can't stand canned tuna, but the new packaged white albacore is great...tastes more fresh than canned, and the white albacore tastes a hell of a lot better than regular tuna in my opinion...i think each package has 35g protein and 3 grams of fat...

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
I just grill 6-7 chicken breasts at a time & keep them in the fridge. I just stick a fork in one & eat it off the fork like a kabob.

Or I just throw 6-7 egg whites into a bowl & nuke it. It hardens into like a solid mass of egg, I squirt some hot sauce on it, mix it up & eat. Easier than getting out a pan & utensils.

psywzrd

Awards
  • Established
i know u said u can't stand canned tuna, but the new packaged white albacore is great...tastes more fresh than canned, and the white albacore tastes a hell of a lot better than regular tuna in my opinion...i think each package has 35g protein and 3 grams of fat...
This sounds interesting. Canned tuna is just way too fishy for me, but this sounds like it might not be so bad. Can you be more specific (brand maybe?)?

mike02885

Awards
This sounds interesting. Canned tuna is just way too fishy for me, but this sounds like it might not be so bad. Can you be more specific (brand maybe?)?
im sure there are a few brands that are now selling it because it seems that there are many people out there who dont like tuna out of a can or are sick of it, ect...but at the Sam's Club i frequent it is Chicken of the Sea packaged white albacore tuna...it comes in a carton that has 8 individual packages and i believe the price is something like 8.95$ a carton, so about 1.10$ a piece, obviously it would be more in a supermarket, but u might just want to pick one or two up and try it before u buy a larger quantity...i definately think that the packaged tastes much better, and doesnt have to be drained, and is very easily packed for a meal as it is just a little plastic pouch of tuna

Mike

max silver

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Even though I find them to be horribly repulsive, pork rinds are suitable as far as low carb snack while dieting. They are high in sodium and fat though, two things to watch out for.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
sardines in olive oil if you can afford them!

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Some beans, like kidney beans or even baked beans, have a good amount of protein in them w/ most of the carbs being from fiber.

You can probly find some low fat string cheese w/ a fair amount of protein.

Try my favorite dessert: Sugar free pudding made w/ protein powder mixed in.

You could also make your own protein bars w/ less carbs and a lot more protein. There are many recipes here. They'll probly taste better too. 20g of carbs is sort of a lot, especially considering they're probably not real low GI carbs.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Well, all you do is take a box of Jello Sugar Free pudding powder, add 1 or 2 scoops of protein powder, then add the specified amount of milk(I think it's 2 cups). Shake it up real real good. Let sit in fridge like usual. I used to make this stuff, minus the protein powder, when I was like 6.

I can't even taste the chocolate protein powder in the chocolate pudding.

Also try vanilla pudding & vanilla protein powder. You could add chunks of fruit to this too. (But wouldn't really be low carb then)

I've been wanting to try banana pudding, vanilla protein powder, and chunks of bananas.

psywzrd

Awards
  • Established
Well, all you do is take a box of Jello Sugar Free pudding powder, add 1 or 2 scoops of protein powder, then add the specified amount of milk(I think it's 2 cups). Shake it up real real good. Let sit in fridge like usual. I used to make this stuff, minus the protein powder, when I was like 6.

I can't even taste the chocolate protein powder in the chocolate pudding.

Also try vanilla pudding & vanilla protein powder. You could add chunks of fruit to this too. (But wouldn't really be low carb then)

I've been wanting to try banana pudding, vanilla protein powder, and chunks of bananas.
Don't you have to add extra milk or something since you're adding all of that extra powder (the protein)? Also, I thought you had to heat up the pudding when you make it. Are you just putting it in a blender or something?

Cuffs

Cuffs

Awards
  • Established
This is more of a meal than a snack, but takes no time to make. I got this idea from Bobo in one of his posts and I love it.

-1 can of 99% fat free chili. Dennison's or Hormel (I prefer Dennison's for taste)
-1 2 oz. can of chicken breast.
-Tabasco sauce, as much as you like.

1)Mix the chili and chicken together and nuke it until hot. 2)Add Tabasco if you wish. 3)Chow down.

Gives you about 70 grams of protein, 54 grams of carbs, and 4.5 grams of fat, with 2 grams being saturated. You do get a lot of sodium from the ingrediants coming from cans, but it is fast, easy, and tastey.

size

Awards
  • Established
Jerky
low carb pudding mixed with protein powder and peanut butter.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Don't you have to add extra milk or something since you're adding all of that extra powder (the protein)? Also, I thought you had to heat up the pudding when you make it. Are you just putting it in a blender or something?
I'm pretty sure you don't have to add any extra milk. The protein powder doesn't seem to change the consistancy much at all.

No, you don't have to heat pudding man. Use the instant stuff. All you do is put it in a big shaker glass and uh.... shake. You can stir it too, but that just sucks. I actually used to have a big JELL-O brand shaker glass. Then you just sit it in the fridge for at least 20 minutes to let it harden. Good stuff.

You can't tell me you've never made pudding before. What is this world coming to? I practically lived off that stuff when I was a kid.

psywzrd

Awards
  • Established
You can't tell me you've never made pudding before. What is this world coming to? I practically lived off that stuff when I was a kid.
I've made plenty of pudding in my day, just never protein pudding:) . All of the pudding I've made had to be heated on a stove though - that's why I was confused. Usually I have to mix the pudding with 2% milk and you heat the mixture until it starts boiling. I'll try your method though - it sounds pretty good.

Siberian

Awards
I believe regular pudding requires heat. There are many instant brands that do not. I think that is what Moyer is referring to.

Stingray

Awards
Moyer

Great Idea! I just made a batch of pistachio with one scoop ON vanilla whey powder. Easy and tasty :) . One serving yeilds 9g Protien.

Thanks for the idea.

size

Awards
  • Established
Recipe for the pudding:
1 box low carb powder choc. pudding
3 scoops choc protein powder
2 scoops peanut butter
2 cups cold skim milk (may need more if not mixing)

Blend and put in fridge. No heat needed

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Even though I find them to be horribly repulsive, pork rinds are suitable as far as low carb snack while dieting. They are high in sodium and fat though, two things to watch out for.
I was waiting at the check out counter at Walmart yesterday. I look to my left and notice a bag of microwavable pork rinds. Looks like a bag of microwavable popcorn. It was only 87 cents, and I had just read your post earlier that day, so I tossed it in the cart.

2g Fat (no sat. fat listed, but I'm sure there has to be a small amount), 1g Carbs
9g Protein

Never had pork rinds before so I'm a little scared to try em. Is pork rind the skin of a hog?

Actually, I'm a little hungry now... I'll report back soon.

Moyer

board observer
Awards
  • Established
Yeah, not very good.

BTW, there's 3.5 servings per bag (which is fairly small). About 30g protein, 7g fat. Not bad.

Probably would've been better but they were "hot & spicey" flavored. Yuck.

mike02885

Awards
i was experimenting and made a variation of the those bars, without the honey, thus less carbs, i used natty peanut butter, almonds, chocolate protein from bsl and egg wash to hold it together....oven at 350 for 25 min and they were pretty damn good