NEED QUICK ADVICE WITH KETO, I DON"T WANNA MESS MY PROGRESS UP!

alih92

Awards
I started the keto diet last wednesday, but I ended up having some carbs on sat-sunday.

I restarted on monday of this week, and today I just had some carbs. REALLY BAD CRAVINGS.

However I AM down from 194 to 189.
What can I do to curb the carb cravings?
Also how long can I expect to wait before I am in ketosis?

Also once I am in ketosis, can I just stay in keto mode and avoid carbs all together for like a month or DO I NEED to refeed with a carb day?

SuperRook

Awards
Going into Ketosis takes a few days. 2-6 days to be exact. You will be able to feel when you slip in.

I can't tell you much on controlling your cravings only that you need to be patient and wait for the ketosis to kick in.

You should wait a full 2 weeks before having your first refeed. Then once a week thereafter on the same day every week. The refeed or "cheat day" is important to maintaining LBM and will stoke your metabolism thus burning more and more fat. Beleive it or not you will burn more fat if you a refeed then you will without one.

alih92

Awards
On refeed days, what exactly should my macronutrient profile look like?

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
What are your macros? If your protein is too high and fat too low it sometimes takes a bit longer to hit ketosis. I like to keep protein at 1g per pound of lean body weight. Keep fats up. When you start ketosis, you will start pissing like crazy and flushing a lot of water. Stay hydrated.

FlexW99

FlexW99

Awards
  • Established
I would get into ketosis within 24-48 hrs if done correctly. Have you bought any ketostix to see if you urinating ketones?

When I was in ketosis, I had no cravings..you almost feel sub-dued..very hard to explain..I haven't done one in years...any reason for a keto?

alih92

Awards
I would get into ketosis within 24-48 hrs if done correctly. Have you bought any ketostix to see if you urinating ketones?

When I was in ketosis, I had no cravings..you almost feel sub-dued..very hard to explain..I haven't done one in years...any reason for a keto?
I'm a natural fatty and over 25% BF, I need to get more trimmed and cutting carbs is most efficient for me.

WILL DA BEAST

WILL DA BEAST

Awards
  • Established
get ketostix. that's a good way to judge if you're in ketosis or not. after a few "cycles" of going into and out of ketosis i know what if feels like to be "in" now. the first time i felt really weak and tired for about 15 minutes then by the time I finished my workout I felt great and had tons of energy.

as far as carb cravings go you just have to tough it out. that's part of the reason you have refeeds, so you don't drive yourself nuts haha

alih92

Awards
get ketostix. that's a good way to judge if you're in ketosis or not. after a few "cycles" of going into and out of ketosis i know what if feels like to be "in" now. the first time i felt really weak and tired for about 15 minutes then by the time I finished my workout I felt great and had tons of energy.

as far as carb cravings go you just have to tough it out. that's part of the reason you have refeeds, so you don't drive yourself nuts haha
Well when I stick with keto for a while, I get into a state where I smell like pure sweat, my breath has a metallic taste to it and I'm constantly tired during my workouts (no strength)

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I need to sub to this to answer some questions and comment on some others. I'm on my phone now but will answer when I'm in the office tomorrow

SuperRook

Awards
Here is the way I have learned to do this.

1. First find out you LEAN BODY MASS (LBM). Get your body fat percentage taken accurately. Then subtract the body fat from your weight.

Ex: 190lbs, 25% BF (47.5 lbs of fat) = 142.5 LBM

2. Protein = 1.5, Fat = .5 (multiply this number by your LBM) NO DIRECT SOURCES OF CARBS

Ex: 142.5 X 1.5 = about 214g Protein a day, 142.5 X .5 = 71g Fat

3. Eat every 2.5-3 hours you are awake. For most this means about 6 meals a day.

4. Start out with 2 full weeks before first refeed. Then have a refeed once every week on the same day every week.

Some choose to employ one "Cheat Meal" and others choose to employ a refeed day. I like the full refeed day better.

Because you have a rather high BF% you would need to start out with only 2 or 3 refeed meals on this day. as you get leaner you would be able to increase this to 4 5 and eventually all day refeeds.

5. Make sure you are doing LOW INTENSITY CARDIO. This means keeping your heart rate around 120-130 BPM. This range ensures that you will be burning pure fat during your cardio. Anything higher will cause your body to use carbs for energy but since you aren't eating any carbs then your body will turn muscle into carbs and burn that.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I started the keto diet last wednesday, but I ended up having some carbs on sat-sunday.

I restarted on monday of this week, and today I just had some carbs. REALLY BAD CRAVINGS.

However I AM down from 194 to 189.
What can I do to curb the carb cravings?
Also how long can I expect to wait before I am in ketosis?

Also once I am in ketosis, can I just stay in keto mode and avoid carbs all together for like a month or DO I NEED to refeed with a carb day?
Once in Keto have a refeed every 7-10 days, carbs at .8g per kilogram bodyweight, body weight in protein and as limited fat as possible

Going into Ketosis takes a few days. 2-6 days to be exact. You will be able to feel when you slip in.
wont really be able to "fee" when your in but your headaches and mood will change.
I can't tell you much on controlling your cravings only that you need to be patient and wait for the ketosis to kick in.

ketones will blunt the cravings. for more appetite blocking look into HCA

You should wait a full 2 weeks before having your first refeed. Then once a week thereafter on the same day every week. The refeed or "cheat day" is important to maintaining LBM and will stoke your metabolism thus burning more and more fat. Beleive it or not you will burn more fat if you a refeed then you will without one.
this is very true, its not soo much for LBM as ketone bodies are whats preserving muscle tissue but its for leptin and t3 increase to speed up your metabolism so your not at a stand still

What are your macros? If your protein is too high and fat too low it sometimes takes a bit longer to hit ketosis. I like to keep protein at 1g per pound of lean body weight. Keep fats up. When you start ketosis, you will start pissing like crazy and flushing a lot of water. Stay hydrated.
not always true. taking a nutrient repartitioner can help block gluconeogensis meaning your protein you can keep high and fat you can keep at .6 per lb of bodyweight. It VERY important to eat salt on a keto diet aswell. do not overlook that!

On refeed days, what exactly should my macronutrient profile look like?
see one of my above posts

Ketostix are not always reliable, if your not eating direct carbs, and having your protein and fat you should be in ketosis

I'm a natural fatty and over 25% BF, I need to get more trimmed and cutting carbs is most efficient for me.

Well when I stick with keto for a while, I get into a state where I smell like pure sweat, my breath has a metallic taste to it and I'm constantly tired during my workouts (no strength)
Acetone breath is very common with ketosis.

After refeed days have protein lower and increase your fats. once in then you can adjust the macros to less fat and more protein.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Here is the way I have learned to do this.

1. First find out you LEAN BODY MASS (LBM). Get your body fat percentage taken accurately. Then subtract the body fat from your weight.

Ex: 190lbs, 25% BF (47.5 lbs of fat) = 142.5 LBM

2. Protein = 1.5, Fat = .5 (multiply this number by your LBM) NO DIRECT SOURCES OF CARBS

Ex: 142.5 X 1.5 = about 214g Protein a day, 142.5 X .5 = 71g Fat

3. Eat every 2.5-3 hours you are awake. For most this means about 6 meals a day.

4. Start out with 2 full weeks before first refeed. Then have a refeed once every week on the same day every week.

Some choose to employ one "Cheat Meal" and others choose to employ a refeed day. I like the full refeed day better.

Because you have a rather high BF% you would need to start out with only 2 or 3 refeed meals on this day. as you get leaner you would be able to increase this to 4 5 and eventually all day refeeds.

5. Make sure you are doing LOW INTENSITY CARDIO. This means keeping your heart rate around 120-130 BPM. This range ensures that you will be burning pure fat during your cardio. Anything higher will cause your body to use carbs for energy but since you aren't eating any carbs then your body will turn muscle into carbs and burn that.
IMO at a bodyfat of 25% he needs to be in keto until his weight loss halts 14-20 days, then have 1 refeed meal. ANYTHING YIOU WANT, keep within 1200 calorie meal and have it as your first meal of the day not last. this is a cheat meal technically. Refeed meals should not be done until 15% and under IMO. to much error is done with it.

cowboy007

cowboy007

Awards
  • Established
I agree, at 25%+ BF, stay in Ketosis until you no longer lose weight (could be 20 days), then refeed. Repeat the process. You'll just have to beat the cravings. Everytime you ingest carbs, the keto process resets and you start back over. Maybe try some of the sugar free chocolates or a KFC doubledown.. those always work for me when I get the Keto Cravings.