intermittent fasting

wedlund6

Awards
  • Established
why would you fast this is a body building forum you need to feed you body fasting will be hard on your health and you will loose muscle. muscle is what burnes fat less muscle less fat burning not a good choice in the long run if you ask me

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
if you want to halt your metabolism and never lose weight, sure go for it.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
intermittent fasting is a little different, it focus's on an 8 hour feeding window to consume your calories, which is usually post workout, and post post workout, and then one more meal.

it works quite well, however, i do not use it, i use a different form.

i would personally take in leucine and lysine, while fasting for muscle anabolism and as ketogenic aminos (which turn to ketones and thus spare muscle tissue)

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The first 2 responses are the idiots that make bad information and old school wrog body building dogma continue.

I just started looking into IF and have been on for a week with some good results. I feel nice and actually manage to feel less fuller than trying to spread my diet meals out. It was interesting to see studies that prove that your body does not go catabolic after not eating for 16 hours. And that your body still has aminos to process for 8+ on many meals.

It seems to have restarted my fat loss again and I love eating 2-3 big meals instead.
Look up lean gains for more info.

urbanski

urbanski

Awards
  • Established
i'd believe what the well-established 265 pounder says above others.....good luck with your fast

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i'd believe what the 265 pounder says above others.....good luck with your fast
bro its worth the try, your not consuming anyless calories, you just have a different feeding window.

its not that bad..

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
And it raises insulin sensitivity and raises growth hormone levels too. But who would want that? :crazy:

I've particularly done it as alternate day fasting myself, stopping eating after 6pm, and then not eating a damn thing till the next day after 6pm so 24 hours of no food, then 24 hours of as much as I cram down my throat and repeat. Worked decently while doing DC first thing in the mornings since that was also every other day, my schedule 6pm till sleep eating whatever, wake up quick meal, workout by 8am, then eat the rest of that day till 6.

patmurray

Awards
I started IF about 3 weeks ago after researching the leangains website and I am loving it. I'm losing weight, but haven't noticed any strength loss. I typically eat from 1pm to 8pm each day and take some 4:1 BCAA during the morning fast.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
IF can be effective for both fat loss and muscle building. But it's cool. Dont be caught up with the latest research on fat loss, meal frequency, meal timing, catabolism, etc.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
IF can be effective for both fat loss and muscle building. But it's cool. Dont be caught up with the latest research on fat loss, meal frequency, meal timing, catabolism, etc.
you think you can post them for us pleeeeeeeeease

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
And it raises insulin sensitivity and raises growth hormone levels too. But who would want that? :crazy:
I am always wary of these claims. As far as insulin sensitivity goes, I don't notice any reduced insulin requirements until about 3 days of sustained calorie reduction.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i dont frequent that site enough or have time. no biggy man.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Sorry but we tend to make fat loss too complicated. If you are trying to go from 8% to 5% bf then yes, every factor counts. If you are going from 20% + down to 15% or whatever....then it is simple. Lean meats, veges and limited carbs and count your calories......calorie deficit. We get all caught up in the freakin details when very few of us even need to. Just my opinion.

crazyfool405

crazyfool405

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Sorry but we tend to make fat loss too complicated. If you are trying to go from 8% to 5% bf then yes, every factor counts. If you are going from 20% + down to 15% or whatever....then it is simple. Lean meats, veges and limited carbs and count your calories......calorie deficit. We get all caught up in the freakin details when very few of us even need to. Just my opinion.
agreed. after you get to 10% thats when it gets rough.

trying to get lower becomes an issue and extremely hard to do without sacrificing some mscle and feeling like your starving.

i do my own type of fasting. but i **** with my body so much it never knows whats going on. so i may have an advantage lol

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you are going from 20% + down to 15% or whatever....then it is simple. Lean meats, veges and limited carbs and count your calories......calorie deficit.
honestly in that range you don't even have to limit carbs, just make good carb choices.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
I will take it a step farther and say that 90% of the people in this country would lose enough weight to put them in the healthy range on the following diet!

QUIT EATING A BUNCH OF SH*T..........

And if truth be known, there are a lot this board who would acheive their longterm goals by following this one rule CONSISTENTLY and for an extended period of time. lol

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Some of the principles are sound, and I have implemented them myself, as well as for several other members on this board in my fasted training protocol. In my approach, though, I tend to focus on the period with the highest availability and recrutiment of IMTGs and FFAs for oxidative metabolism, and tailor my training to most efficiently utilize this availability. This is of course in the morning, after nocturnal lipolysis.

The research on fasted-state training is promising, not only in respects to the availability of oxidative substrates I just mentioned, but also in terms of post-training glycogen resynthesis (in the form of increased expression of glycogen synthase), GLUT4 expression, down-regulation of acetyl-CoA-carboxylase, malonyl-CoA, and the obvious increase in carnitine polmitoyltransferase 1 (the rate-limiting step in the beta-oxidation of fatty acids).

This being said, many of these changes are the result of skeletal muscle contraction-induced AMPk phosphorylation, so it is difficult to say whether or not an "intermittent fasting" period would derive the same benefit as a transient fasted training period.

triton185

triton185

Awards
  • Established
Some of the principles are sound, and I have implemented them myself, as well as for several other members on this board in my fasted training protocol. In my approach, though, I tend to focus on the period with the highest availability and recrutiment of IMTGs and FFAs for oxidative metabolism, and tailor my training to most efficiently utilize this availability. This is of course in the morning, after nocturnal lipolysis.

The research on fasted-state training is promising, not only in respects to the availability of oxidative substrates I just mentioned, but also in terms of post-training glycogen resynthesis (in the form of increased expression of glycogen synthase), GLUT4 expression, down-regulation of acetyl-CoA-carboxylase, malonyl-CoA, and the obvious increase in carnitine polmitoyltransferase 1 (the rate-limiting step in the beta-oxidation of fatty acids).

This being said, many of these changes are the result of skeletal muscle contraction-induced AMPk phosphorylation, so it is difficult to say whether or not an "intermittent fasting" period would derive the same benefit as a transient fasted training period.

"My boy is wicked smaat"

LOL.......dur, all that just flew over my head.

ZamaMan

ZamaMan

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I mean to say I have been feeling less hungry now that I have been on IF

Shavani

Awards
when do you have to plan your work outs, cardio when being on IF? I'd do the 16-8 hours program

purelife2

purelife2

Awards
sorry to bump up a old post but is there anymore opinions on this...i was just reading some info about it at leangains..seems kinda difficult to time everything when you have a different schedule every day