Want to introduce myself and ask for some help/critiquing

gsteclipse97

Awards
Hello I have lurked the board for a bit and would like to introduce myself. I am 22 years old, 6'2", 200-204 lbs, and 20-21% bf (digital caliper). I was always in pretty good shape in high school, played basketball, but over the years i packed on the pounds. About 3 months ago I was 230 lbs and about 30% bf. I am currently trying to cut another 5-8% off in the next 4-5 weeks and have hit somewhat of a plateau and ask for help.

My diet:

7:30 - 1 cup oatmeal or cereal and about 5 oz. non fat milk w/scoop whey
10:00 - some kind of vegetable or fruit snack
1:00 - lunch of chicken or fish with a salad or a vegetable and sometimes a cup of brown rice or another carb.
5:00 - pre workout snack on way to gym, usually a protein bar since im driving.
6:00-7:00 - workout
7:00 - post workout shake of water, 2 scoops whey, and either oats or dextrose for carb.
8:30 or 9:00 - dinner which is similar to lunch but no carb
11:00 or 11:30 - 1 cup non fat cottage cheese

My training:
Mon, wed, fri - cardio, 30-40 min of non stop cardio keeping heart rate between 140-150.
Tues, thurs, sat - weights

Basically over the last few weeks the weight loss has slowed/stopped and I am asking for any advice or critiquing that you guys might see that could help me out.

Thanks a lot.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
People hit plateaus. You might change your exercise routine for a week or two. The change may make a difference.

Your diet looks good, although I would add some protein to your 10:00 am meal. You might consider adding up your calories for a week and dividing them into carbohydrates/protein/fat. If the ratio is not 40/40/20 or thereabouts, you might want to consider adjusting your diet slightly as well.

Based on your schedule, I suspect you are not getting enough sleep. Make sure you are getting 8 hours a night minimum. You need enough rest so your body can build muscle, which is metabolically active (good).

gsteclipse97

Awards
Thanks a lot Cogar. Yea i planned on changing things up a bit exercise wise starting today. I am going to start keeping better track of my calories again also. For my 10am snack what kind of protein do you suggest, some whey, cottage cheese, or somethin else? As far as sleep yea i would say mon-fri i get 6 or so hours of sleep, and then fri and sat i get 8-9 each nite usually.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Cogar's advice was solid. Only thing that really stood out to me is that eating a meal at 1:00, and eating nothing but a protein bar before your 6:00 workout is a lot of time to go without some cals. Maybe try cutting out the protein bar all together and eating some cottage cheese or casein protein with some oats around 4:30. Either way, if you're dieting I would stay away from protein bars (I don't even eat them when bulking). Most of them are a shitty source of nutrients, and a lot of companies BS about the calories.

If you've been doing the same thing for a long time, try changing things up. You're body likes changes, as long as they are not too too drastic.

gsteclipse97

Awards
Thanks for the info. Yea I usually try to eat a decent sized healthy lunch because its hard for me to eat a full meal at 4:30 because I am getting ready to leave work and head straight to the gym. I think I will try to buy a container of cottage cheese or non fat yogurt to leave at work and try and eat that instead.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
Thanks a lot Cogar. Yea i planned on changing things up a bit exercise wise starting today. I am going to start keeping better track of my calories again also. For my 10am snack what kind of protein do you suggest, some whey, cottage cheese, or somethin else? As far as sleep yea i would say mon-fri i get 6 or so hours of sleep, and then fri and sat i get 8-9 each nite usually.
You are welcome. Whey, lowfat cottage cheese, a can of tuna (small or standard), a small chicken breast, etc. would all work fine as a protein source. The quantity depends in part on the amount you need to achieve the carb/protein/fat ratio you want for the day.

gsteclipse97

Awards
ok so i think i will bring some cottage cheese or some tuna to work for my 10 snack and maybe some yogurt and granola for my 4:30 so that i can get some carbs and protein before workout.

DieTrying

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I will try to buy a container of cottage cheese or non fat yogurt to leave at work and try and eat that instead.
Theres a big difference between cottage cheese and yogurt. Look at the labels and compare.. ;)

gsteclipse97

Awards
yea i know there is a difference, either one i purchased would be non-fat, i know the cottage cheese has no carbs and more protein, but i would be eating one cup and it would be early enough in the day where i would burn the carbs that i didnt think it would hurt. oh well i will just stick to cottage cheese then

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
Yogurt is OK as long as you know it is mostly carbs and you make sure its nutrient breakdown works into your diet plan.

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
What kind of routine are you doing lifting wise...heavy, high reps???

gsteclipse97

Awards
I am doing a three day split, heavy weight, 8-10 reps, and 3 sets. I lift hard, I lift as if I was trying to bulk and not cut. I feel I have my weight lifting down for my routine, I can see big differences in my body from three months ago. My weaknesses are my slow metabolism, my diet because even though I eat healthy somedays I will fail to count my calories and will go over some, and maybe my cardio because I might not be doing enough a week for the amount I want to lose in the timeframe.

willieman

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I am doing a three day split, heavy weight, 8-10 reps, and 3 sets. I lift hard, I lift as if I was trying to bulk and not cut. I feel I have my weight lifting down for my routine, I can see big differences in my body from three months ago. My weaknesses are my slow metabolism, my diet because even though I eat healthy somedays I will fail to count my calories and will go over some, and maybe my cardio because I might not be doing enough a week for the amount I want to lose in the timeframe.
since you have been lifting heavy for some time you might want to switch up a little, and lift a little lighter with higher reps...say12-15 range..