Are peanuts THAT bad?

Alt+F4

Back in the gym after 6 months of being a *****
Awards
I see a lot of articles here and elsewhere touting the benefits of almonds and other nuts. Almost every article also has the line "BUT NOT PEANUTS". What's the deal with peanuts? Is it that they're simply not good for you? Or is it rather almonds are BETTER, and therefore you should eat them instead. Reason I ask is because peanuts are the only nut I can stomach. I just can't get myself to eat any of the others. I've bought them and tried forcing them down but it just doesn't happen. So will peanuts kill me? Or will I just not be getting as much benefit as I would from almonds?

Thanks.

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
IMO, peanuts are OK. They are a reasonably good source of fats like other nuts.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
There is nothing wrong with peanuts, as long as they are unsalted. I eat natural peanut butter every day. Almonds are probably the best source of EFAs among nuts, but peanuts are still pretty good. That article was probably written by the "carbs are bad" people.

westniles

Awards
Natural peanut butter is awesome, I love it. Great source of fats and I always eat it at bedtime to slow the digestion of my shake.

Siberian

Awards
I think that recurrent line may be there not because of the quality of fats in peanuts but because they are very high in toxins.

DougMan

Awards
I think that recurrent line may be there not because of the quality of fats in peanuts but because they are very high in toxins.

Could you back that up with some science please? Or atleast specify which "toxins" you are talking about? Are you referring to hydrogenated oil in peanut butter? Its not good for you, but I dont think it qualifies as "toxins"

Last edited:
candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
True. I need to stop eating that too...lol.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Peanuts unsalted and dry roasted are fine. But like most food, only at a decent proportion. Not that peanuts have so much saturated fats (they dont), but you can easily consume better calories to fill up your total calorie intake througout the day. 2-4 tbsl of PB or a cup or so of peanuts a day is perfectly fine. However, you could choose a better source of nuts, such as walnuts and almonds. And no.... human nuts are not a good source of healthy fatty fats. ;)
Sage

Number 5

Awards
peanuts are a common allergen like wheat gluten so many magazines warn against them just to play the averages. some people have an acute adverse reaction to them, but others may have a milder reaction that goes undetected, yet still has some minor negative impact on them. if you feel fine after eating lots of peanuts or peanut butter, then you probably have nothing to worry about.

Siberian

Awards
Could you back that up with some science please? Or atleast specify which "toxins" you are talking about? Are you referring to hydrogenated oil in peanut butter? Its not good for you, but I dont think it qualifies as "toxins"
Hydrogenated oil is not a toxin, you are correct. Specifically I am talking about aflatoxins in peanuts. I'm not saying that the toxins in peanuts are a death-sentence, they just have more toxins than many other foods. Do a search on google, the information is not exactly hard to find.