WTF is the deal with CONTRADICTING BELIEFS?

alih92

Awards
On EliteFTS and here I've read from many users that keto/low carb diets are the devil and need to be avoided like the plaguge. This notion is commonly believed at BB.com forums aswell. 2-3 years ago, BB.com was the same site from which I heard about keto/low carb...and people LOVED IT.

Low carb diets are generally favored more than regular diets at Iron Addicts as well.

So after reading various posts on how how low carb is a no go (ON AM.com) I had a look at this thread (ht*tp://*anabolicminds.*com/forum/weight-loss/143242-charles-poliquin-fat.*html) erase the *, I just wanna ask you guys one thing, what the fudge?

Are they good or bad, are we really carb intolerant? Is the forum filled with mass hysteria and just in general bs?

goonstopher

goonstopher

Awards
  • Established
low carb and keto are different.

Keto is high fat and low(er) protein with no carbs - This is good for people who are generally not very muscular or overweight (like most at bb.com)

Low carb is far more popular with bodybuilders. 100-200g for most, some going down to 50g on occasion, very high protein. Fat kept reasonable.

alih92

Awards
I've also read here that low carb AND keto are the worst diets ever and you feel lethargic, your brain doesn't work as well, and that your body NEEDS carbs? So can someone please explain to me how a thing like CARB INTOLERANCE exists and apparently 75% of americans ARE carb intolerant and their body shouldn't be digesting grains???

Gonzo14

Gonzo14

Awards
  • Established
I've also read here that low carb AND keto are the worst diets ever and you feel lethargic, your brain doesn't work as well, and that your body NEEDS carbs? So can someone please explain to me how a thing like CARB INTOLERANCE exists and apparently 75% of americans ARE carb intolerant and their body shouldn't be digesting grains???
your body burns carbs for energy, the glucose and ATP are used so that your brain as well as your body overall can function properly. When you cut your carbs your going to feel tired untill your body adapts.(you must make up the lost calories from carbs in others areas such as fat and protein to keep from your metabolism from dropping off the table)
To prevent from your metabolism from crashing, and from feeling like crap people tend to carb cycle, (cycling between low med and high carb days) most athletes use this medthod because it enables them to keep preforming at a high level.
Keto diets are more helpful with someone who has trouble oxidizing fat cells. Because someone on Keto takes in NO CARBS whatsoever, their body looks for BF and muscle to breakdown for energy. (the best example of this is the atkins diet) Many atheltes that choose keto tend to do so with a carb load day in which one day is a load up on carbs in order to maintain energy throughout the week

Dieting strongly relies on the person. Keto DOES NOT work for me personally, it might work better for you.
As for carb intolerant, your body wasn't made to breakdown a lot of the highly processed carbs that are in most of today's foods (i.e high fructose corn syrup) HFCS is a whole other monster causing high spikes in blood sugar, with no nutrional value what-so-ever.
As far as not digesting grains I dont have any knowlege to anwser that.

goonstopher

goonstopher

Awards
  • Established
Most bodybuilder start their carbs higher and drop them as fat loss slows. It is that simple. BOTH work, both are needed.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You answered your own question in the thread title. They are beliefs.

Simply put, the only thing you need to burn fat is an energy deficit.

votum

votum

Awards
  • Established
^ You need carbs.

BUT

You need healthy carbs. Fruit/Veggies/grains are FAR superior to mcdonalds fries.

Those stats up there about most americans having trouble breaking carbs down, I doubt that is true, it should say something like most Americans eat WAY to many carbs for their energy level. Your average american doesn't have the highest energy level. They go to work then come home and sit on the couch. Then they eat mcdonals 3 times a day and wonder why they are getting fat, its because their carb intake is not healthy and way to high. Fat intake plays a part too, but honestly I have heard of way to many people having success on a fast food diet lol.