How's this for a pre-WO/2nd or 3rd PWO meal?

Rock Lee

Awards
I eat this meal a lot; always an hour or so before a workout and sometimes for a 2nd or 3rd meal (after my whey/dextrose/maltodextrin shake, taken immediately PWO) after a workout:

2 cups skim milk
1 scoop whey
1/2 cup old fasioned oatmeal with 2-3 packets of 0 calorie sweetner and maybe ~10 raisins or a tbsp of sugar free jam

This comes out to something like ~45 grams of protein, ~60 grams of carbs, and less than 5 grams of fat. The reason I ask if it's good or not is I don't know if I should be combining proteins around a workout or just stick to whey and I've heard varying opinions on how good of a carbohydrate milk is. I've heard that while it's technically "complex" and low-GI, it still spikes blood sugar somehow. I don't know, I probably misunderstood that. Anyway I'm confused and curious because this particular meal makes up the bulk of my carbohydrate-containing meals.

sawastea

Awards
Personally, after my PWO shake, I would center my meals on real foods, not powders. Yea, it'll take some more time to make, but it's a great way to grow ;).

Pre-workout I'll consume oats with whey (plus whatever supplements). Post-workout shake will be whey with dextrose/malto and oats in water. About an hour therafter, I'll consume lean proteins with a lower GI complex carb and veggies

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
With the amount of food and calories you guys are taking in pre workout, I would reevalute your carb source post workout. Your fear of catabolism is not justified.