Interesting On Body Composition - AnabolicMinds.com

Interesting On Body Composition

Interesting On Body Composition

Hey guys, Im half way through my Body Comp class and we had an interesting discussion today that I became active in.,...This might belong in the weight loss section if it does, will a mod kindly move it....

What is Overweight?

Sometimes when you step onto the scale at GNC and take your weight it tells you you are _ _ pounds over weight. A lot of americans take that as a slap in the face, a reality check or just for fun. It seems out there in this society that someone sat down and decided the exact weight of a person at a particular height. This more often than not is garbage.
    According to the scale in front of GNC, someone 5'8 should weigh 144-159 to be considered "healthy" how many natural/unnatural bodybuilders do you know thats 5'8 and weights 144? Exactly, they'd laugh your ass of stage. So we've sort of developed this our own theory at the University of Charleston where we distinguish overweight, which in a lot of circumstances is not bad and over fat. Yes, over-fat. You can be overweight and healthy, Im actually 49 pounds over weight yet by body fat is 8.24%. Over fat is a condition in which your bodyfat is at such a level where your body beings to have problems, diabetes, heart disease etc. And for men who store the majority of the fat on their "gut" you're in real trouble.

So next time you stand on one of those fancy scales and it tells you you are over weight, please refrain from punching the screen and take this into consideration. YJ

Exactly..............I'm 6'0 and the "healthy" weight for me is like 179 or something. Yeah right!!!!!!!! I dare someone to look at my body and tell me I'm not healthy........kinda makes me laugh

Peace

Bone
    Stats
    5'7"  191 lbs.

thats funny you said that b/c I totally agree

I haev this scale at the nurses/docs office at my job ( i dont work in a docs office so dont ask me for scrpts..lol).

anyway it says for someone my height I should weigh like 142. I just want to ask it, then how come when i was 175 and 5.5% bf you tell me im 30 pounds overweight.

it says i should eat 1200 cals a day for 91 days and I can be 145.......
    what bs man

h19
    •   

"..It seems out there in this society that someone sat down and decided the exact weight of a person at a particular height. This more often than not is garbage. "

Yes those Numbers can be garbage for
    bodybuilders and weight trainers. The
    key should be % body fat.

These numbers come primarily from the Insurance Industry.

http://www.uttyler.edu/mowings/ALHS4...rance_data.htm

im in my last year undergrad. i have to take this ass natural science course which i laid off since freshman year. good move cuz now, that required natural science has been changed to nutrition health. thats huge!

i personally hate using the scale...it is almost as bad of an indicator as the BMI...all the scale gives you is how much you weigh....it doesnt tell you how much muscle you have or what your bodyfat % is. I personally only weigh myself once every 2 weeks when im doing my progress report. I like to go by what the tape measure says.
  7. Kay

Nice one YJ,
    I think a lot of people dont realize the measurements such as BMI, and just using the scale does not give the complete picture.

BMI does not take your lean mass into account, so if a really lean bodybuilder would step on, he would be considered severely overweight.

If you want an accurate measurement of your body comp. which is cheap and convenient is Waist-Hip ratios. If you have more experience, may wanna go with skinfolds, but make sure you get it done by a professional.
    If you really want accurate measurements, go for hydrostatic weighing, this is awesome, usually costs about 30 - 40 bucks, but toally worth it.

Originally posted by YellowJacket
    Hey guys, Im half way through my Body Comp class and we had an interesting discussion today that I became active in.,...This might belong in the weight loss section if it does, will a mod kindly move it....

What is Overweight?

Sometimes when you step onto the scale at GNC and take your weight it tells you you are _ _ pounds over weight. A lot of americans take that as a slap in the face, a reality check or just for fun. It seems out there in this society that someone sat down and decided the exact weight of a person at a particular height. This more often than not is garbage.
    According to the scale in front of GNC, someone 5'8 should weigh 144-159 to be considered "healthy" how many natural/unnatural bodybuilders do you know thats 5'8 and weights 144? Exactly, they'd laugh your ass of stage. So we've sort of developed this our own theory at the University of Charleston where we distinguish overweight, which in a lot of circumstances is not bad and over fat. Yes, over-fat. You can be overweight and healthy, Im actually 49 pounds over weight yet by body fat is 8.24%. Over fat is a condition in which your bodyfat is at such a level where your body beings to have problems, diabetes, heart disease etc. And for men who store the majority of the fat on their "gut" you're in real trouble.

So next time you stand on one of those fancy scales and it tells you you are over weight, please refrain from punching the screen and take this into consideration. YJ

What do you mean by "and for men who store the majority of the fat on their gut are in real trouble"? Have the majority of your fat on your gut instead of some other place on your body like say legs or something is more dangerous? Hows that?

See, now I had to go out and try that scale at GNC because of this. Wardog, at 6'5" and a medium bone structure should weigh 200-210. I need to lose approxamatly 55 pounds here guys.

I would look like a ****ing STICK at 210. These scales are stupid

Better stop eatin, fat boy

Re: Re: Interesting On Body Composition

Originally posted by Inzah Dude

What do you mean by "and for men who store the majority of the fat on their gut are in real trouble"? Have the majority of your fat on your gut instead of some other place on your body like say legs or something is more dangerous? Hows that?
    In the medical field, its known that fat stored in the mid section of men will eventually lead to cardiovascular disease, stroke, or heart attack.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 06-22-2012, 11:00 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-08-2010, 10:32 AM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 02-26-2010, 03:17 PM
  4. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-30-2006, 02:01 PM
  5. Body Composition
    By FLY in forum General Chat
    Replies: 3