cutting question

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
i have been cutting for about a week now and Ive been eating real clean so far. While looking over my diet plan ive noticed that I have no meat in my cutting diet. Im just wondering if this is alright as long as Im still getting my protein needs?

Meal one/ Breakfeast: Whey protein shake (20 grams protein)

Meal two/lunch: apple grapes protein bread sanwich with tuna.

Meal three: half cup oats and two tablespoons of natural peanut butter

Meal four: protein shake (40 grams)

Meal 5: can of tuna and some veggies

Meal 6: banana half cup 1% cottage cheese

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
i have been cutting for about a week now and Ive been eating real clean so far. While looking over my diet plan ive noticed that I have no meat in my cutting diet. Im just wondering if this is alright as long as Im still getting my protein needs?

Meal one/ Breakfeast: Whey protein shake (20 grams protein)

Meal two/lunch: apple grapes protein bread sanwich with tuna.

Meal three: half cup oats and two tablespoons of natural peanut butter

Meal four: protein shake (40 grams)

Meal 5: can of tuna and some veggies

Meal 6: banana half cup 1% cottage cheese
You don't have to have red meat in your diet, no. However, looking at that, calories are a little on the VERY low side, even for cutting (even I would never attempt fat loss on such low calories, and I am a lot smaller than you) - I would suggest actually calculating your Maintenance, and adjusting your caloric intake to suit. Also, a protein shake is INsufficient for breakfast; breakfast is your most important meal of the day, and you're getting all of ~120 calories (or not much more) - even having your meal 1 + meal 3 would be better, and then having all that again for meal 3 would serve you far better.

~Team APPNUT

liftallday123

Awards
  • Established
so would it be alright to have two table spoons of natural peanutbutter and half cup of oats with protein shake in meal 1 and then have it again in meal 3? Or is that to much fat and calories because that would be about 400 calories and 35 grams of fat just in the Natural peanutbutter?

warsteiner

Awards
  • Established
As Rosie mentions you should work out your maintenance requirements first of all and then reduce this by around 500 cals. The Harris-Benedict formula is one that I use:

Men: BMR = 66 + (13.7 X wt in kg) + (5 X ht in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)
Women: BMR = 655 + (9.6 X wt in kg) + (1.8 X ht in cm) - (4.7 X age in years)

Example:
You are female
You are 30 yrs old
You are 5' 6 " tall (167.6 cm)
You weigh 120 lbs. (54.5 kilos)
Your BMR = 655 + 523 + 302 - 141 = 1339 calories/day

You then multiply your maintenance calories by your activity level:

Activity Multiplier

Sedentary = BMR X 1.2 (little or no exercise, desk job)
Lightly active = BMR X 1.375 (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk)
Mod. active = BMR X 1.55 (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk)
Very active = BMR X 1.725 (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk)
Extr. active = BMR X 1.9 (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.)

Work out your total calorie requirements and reduce this by 500 to start with. For macros you should be taking in about 1g/lb of protein each day so if you are 180lbs then you should take in about 175-200g of protein. You should be taking in about 60-65g of fats as well so that will mean:

Protein = 200g * 4 calories per gram = 800
Fats = 65 * 9 calories per gram = 585

So far you have a total of 1385 calories so the rest you can make up with carbs. Once you have your calorie/macro requirements then you can pick foods to suit those macros.