I need a basic sports nutrition book

1. board observer
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.52%

Post I need a basic sports nutrition book

I believe I have a very good understanding of sports nutrtion and nutrition in general. My problem is I have a hard time explaining it to others in a way they will understand.

I recently struck up a conversation with a coworker at my new job. Somehow we started talking about food and nutrition, then I found out he's been lifting for a few years at my local gym. He's an ectomorph(a fairly big one) that has actually made some pretty good progress over the years. He seems like a really nice guy and he said he enjoys lifting, and he's been making slow but steady progress.

He doesn't have much knowledge about nutrition, but he wants to learn(which I think is rare).

I would like to find a book that explains the glycemic index and how carbs effect insulin levels and how that effects energy levels and muscle and fat growth. Also the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats, and protein. And maybe something about post-workout nutrition, although that part I could type up and just give to him myself.

It would be wonderful if I could find a good book to explain this without getting too complicated too fast. I don't want him to be overwhelmed. I could either give him the name and author so he can buy it, or just buy it myself and lend it to him.

Also, for training info, I'm going to recommend that he pick up a copy of Brawn by Stuart McRobert.

Any good ideas?

If there are no good options, I may just find as many resources about this on the net that I can and compile them and print them off for him.

2. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42%

Here...

First nutrition books I ever bought were: Dynamic Nutrition for Maximum Performance and Sports Nutrition(might be the name, let a friend ''borrow'' and never got it back, lol) by Nancy Clark.

Quote Originally Posted by Moyer
    I believe I have a very good understanding of sports nutrtion and nutrition in general. My problem is I have a hard time explaining it to others in a way they will understand.

I recently struck up a conversation with a coworker at my new job. Somehow we started talking about food and nutrition, then I found out he's been lifting for a few years at my local gym. He's an ectomorph(a fairly big one) that has actually made some pretty good progress over the years. He seems like a really nice guy and he said he enjoys lifting, and he's been making slow but steady progress.

He doesn't have much knowledge about nutrition, but he wants to learn(which I think is rare).

I would like to find a book that explains the glycemic index and how carbs effect insulin levels and how that effects energy levels and muscle and fat growth. Also the difference between saturated and unsaturated fats, and protein. And maybe something about post-workout nutrition, although that part I could type up and just give to him myself.

It would be wonderful if I could find a good book to explain this without getting too complicated too fast. I don't want him to be overwhelmed. I could either give him the name and author so he can buy it, or just buy it myself and lend it to him.

Also, for training info, I'm going to recommend that he pick up a copy of Brawn by Stuart McRobert.

Any good ideas?

If there are no good options, I may just find as many resources about this on the net that I can and compile them and print them off for him.
  3. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    68%

EAS Sports Nutrition Review, I got it at the vitamin shoppe. It's online also
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    11.63%

Will Brinks Mass Building Nutrition
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.69%

Nutrient Timing. Im reading it right now. The book is a little redundant. It keeps going over the same things over and over again. However a lot of good studies and stuff. Goes into depth about when and why to take in certain stuff. So far its all been pre/workout/post the whole time. Dont know how much further it goes with it. I do know that there are some meal plans in the later chapters too. The guys who wrote the book both have phd's. and from what the guy told me at the store, it disproves a lot of common misconceptions about diet, which is specifically why I bought it.
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  237 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    30.63%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Ultimate Diet 2.0 by Lyle McDonald

a few other beginner books: http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/books.htm

Similar Forum Threads

1. Advice on a few good nutrition books
    By tattoopierced1 in forum General Chat