Trying to Recomp, but gaining instead?

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
Im small as it is, so instead of cutting im trying to recomp, keep my muscle.

Im eating about 5 meals of chicken w/ veg or fruit, salad
eggs for B-fast
2 protein shakes a day, rarely cheat, Diet i believe is tuned in well
Im also low carbing it, and always hungry.

And i have gained weight, should i do more cardio, for eat a little less
Again I dont wanna lose to much weight

im 147 right now 5'6

BigBlackGuy

BigBlackGuy

Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
You're probably getting more protein now than you were before. You should TAKE NOTE that your body is responding better NOW than it did before on your other diet.

What were you eating before?

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Do you know your bf %? I mean 5'6" kind of limits your target weight but if you could get to 160 and pack on some more muscle and then bulk you might be happier with the results.

elementrip

elementrip

Awards
  • Established
If your true goal was initially to recomp, a slight gain in weight isnt out of the question... However if these gains are non descriminate and wet as well then you have a problem. Perhaps the fruit is a little more excessive than your overview of your current diet suggests... I'm not saying you should be going keto, but if the fruit based carbs are too great therein may lie the problem.

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
I was on a bulk, then schedule got messed up, so i ate clean just not enough cals went from 150 to 143, been on this new diet trying to recomp for a month, lost no str since 150 weight(at most lost a few reps on my max), looking more cut but wanna get leaner (Abs wise).

Before this diet was basically the same, its just tuned it a lot more now
Fruit i have maybe once a day, an apple or some oranges/ watermelon, grapefruit..not excessive at all imo. One day a week i have a sandwich ( only thing i can eat at work)

As far as cardio, ill do 15 mins after a workout (HIIT) some mornings ill do steady state burn about 150 cals, never sure if more is gunna harm the muscles during recomp.off days ill burn 300ish cals. And one day a week i take a Circuit class for an hour.

Legacykid

Awards
  • Established
Do you know your bf %? I mean 5'6" kind of limits your target weight but if you could get to 160 and pack on some more muscle and then bulk you might be happier with the results.
I think 160 with a low bf% would be perfect for my frame, thats my goal, but bulking doesnt come easy. For the summer i just wanna cut up, but not lose size/str. Aug i got some supps to jump start my bulk

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
I think 160 with a low bf% would be perfect for my frame, thats my goal, but bulking doesnt come easy. For the summer i just wanna cut up, but not lose size/str. Aug i got some supps to jump start my bulk
Thats cool. Well I recommend at least getting a caliper if you dont want to have a nutritionist do a bf %. Monitoring progress is the best way to structure a training and diet plan. For example, consider if your weight went up but your bf % stayed the same or went down. Then you might not want to change what you're doing at all!