Home Scales

Inquirer

Awards
Does anyone here use the (bathroom) scales for home (Taylor, etc.) that estimate % bodyfat and other parameters in addition to weight? If so, have you ever compared the bodyfat result with your % bodyfat measured by other (more precise) means? All responses appreciated!

sampson27

sampson27

Awards
I have used a couple of different home ones, from my expierence, they are in the ball park but not close enough. I found that they are somewhere between 2-5% off on actual BF%, usually on the low side

lciaccio

lciaccio

Awards
  • Established
most of them dont measure BF%, but BMI, which is a correlation of BF%.

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
I use the Tanita Ironman BC-558..

I do like it a lot and seems to be consistent from day to day

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
They work off of BMI which if you are quite muscular are obviously inaccurate.

scott72

scott72

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
They're junk. Just go by how your clothes fit, and if you really need to know bodyfat, get a set of calipers. They'll get you fairly close.

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
They work off of BMI which if you are quite muscular are obviously inaccurate.
Tanita Ironman BC-558 does not work off BMO well atleast I dont think so. If it did everyone same height and weight would have same BF%

Maybe I'm missing something

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Tanita Ironman BC-558 does not work off BMO well atleast I dont think so. If it did everyone same height and weight would have same BF%

Maybe I'm missing something
Your supposed to set it before you use it to your height and weight like all scales no? It will then go off an equation for the average user as to what your bf to height ratio should be. It uses (BIA) to determine an individual's body fat percentage. "To achieve this, the meter passes a small, harmless, electric current through the body and measures the resistance, then uses information on the person's weight, height, age, and sex, to calculate an approximate value for the person's body fat percentage. The calculation measures the total volume of water in the body (lean tissue and muscle contain a higher percentage of water than fat), and estimates the percentage of fat based on this information. The result can fluctuate several percent depending on what one has eaten and how much water one has consumed prior to the analysis."
Because it still runs off of an algorithm based on average humans it is not as accurate for athletes or those who are muscular.

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
Your supposed to set it before you use it to your height and weight like all scales no? It will then go off an equation for the average user as to what your bf to height ratio should be. It uses (BIA) to determine an individual's body fat percentage. "To achieve this, the meter passes a small, harmless, electric current through the body and measures the resistance, then uses information on the person's weight, height, age, and sex, to calculate an approximate value for the person's body fat percentage. The calculation measures the total volume of water in the body (lean tissue and muscle contain a higher percentage of water than fat), and estimates the percentage of fat based on this information. The result can fluctuate several percent depending on what one has eaten and how much water one has consumed prior to the analysis."
Because it still runs off of an algorithm based on average humans it is not as accurate for athletes or those who are muscular.
Thanks for that but since it also uses "To achieve this, the meter passes a small, harmless, electric current through the body and measures the resistance, " it cant be strictly BMI right?

I have used this scale and then did Hydrostatic Testing for BF% and it was off 1.5 % on the low side

TheLastRonin

TheLastRonin

Awards
  • Established
Thanks for that but since it also uses "To achieve this, the meter passes a small, harmless, electric current through the body and measures the resistance, " it cant be strictly BMI right?

I have used this scale and then did Hydrostatic Testing for BF% and it was off 1.5 % on the low side
Yes, but the resistance is also measured and then calculated using an algorithm based on a common human denominator. So it will be more accurate if your are closer to the average weight for your height, even though I know some have an athletic algorithm to use as well, it won't be as accurate for those who have a lot more muscle mass. That particular scale is still better than your average home scale though and for the average joe or weekend warrior it would suffice. I would still choose more viable means, but use them less often.

dollar662

Awards
  • Established
Yes, but the resistance is also measured and then calculated using an algorithm based on a common human denominator. So it will be more accurate if your are closer to the average weight for your height, even though I know some have an athletic algorithm to use as well, it won't be as accurate for those who have a lot more muscle mass. That particular scale is still better than your average home scale though and for the average joe or weekend warrior it would suffice. I would still choose more viable means, but use them less often.
Thanks for taking the time to explain all this.

:biggthumpup:

Chops89

Chops89

Awards
  • Established
I have an OMRON scale that uses both the feet sensors and hand sensors that are connected to the rest of the scale by a spiral cord. I don't really rely on it for accurate BF readings since my muscle mass is higher than the average person, but I've noticed it has consistent readings. It said I was 20% BF last December. By February (well into my cut) it was consistently saying I was 14%. I always tested first thing in the morning after using the bathroom.

I guess if you're trying to gauge fat loss, these things can help you keep track. Just don't rely on the actual percentages.