Standing increases lipolysis

Jurassic

Jurassic

Awards
My mom does obesity and behavioral obesity research, I went to one of her presentations a few weeks ago about a new study she did/is doing.
We are all familiar with a FDA's recommended 60-90 minutes of exercise per day or whatever it is, but the study was to investigate whether sitting all day and getting those 90 minutes of exercise was still healthy.
Basically the findings were that doing simple things like standing rather than sitting, or even tapping your feet while at a desk helped increase caloric use and lipolysis in a measurable way throughout one's day.
I'm not sure if the study has been published yet, but I could probably get her to email me the abstract if people are interested.

Basically, trying not to sit still as much as possible during the day can help increase fat loss and overall health.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
They should just remove chairs from offices and force people to stand

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
They should just remove chairs from offices and force people to stand
I kind of agree....

Ever notice how a cute girl gets an office job, then her @$$ explodes?(well multiple reasons could cause this, but still :D)

I always stand when I visit people, it freaks them out. I pick a spot and stand while everyone is sitting, and they keep offering me a seat but I dont usually take it, and I stand 8 hours a day. I find that people I know who sit alot, but still work out have a harder time making any progress.

Personally it seems like a natural function of the body. Think about it back when a man had to hunt all day for his food, track animals, constantly be on the movie, and usually trained daily for the risk of war.....

And what do the slobs do today? Go to an office, work 9-5 while eating donuts and slamming sugared up coffee, then going home and sitting on their couches until bed time...I have no respect for 97% of overweight people. Its a choice, not a medical condition. Of that 1 % is reserved for the medical ones. When they show me papers...the other 2% goes to bigger people who are just too awesome of people to not respect.

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established
I kind of agree....

Ever notice how a cute girl gets an office job, then her @$$ explodes?(well multiple reasons could cause this, but still :D)

I always stand when I visit people, it freaks them out. I pick a spot and stand while everyone is sitting, and they keep offering me a seat but I dont usually take it, and I stand 8 hours a day. I find that people I know who sit alot, but still work out have a harder time making any progress.

Personally it seems like a natural function of the body. Think about it back when a man had to hunt all day for his food, track animals, constantly be on the movie, and usually trained daily for the risk of war.....

And what do the slobs do today? Go to an office, work 9-5 while eating donuts and slamming sugared up coffee, then going home and sitting on their couches until bed time...I have no respect for 97% of overweight people. Its a choice, not a medical condition. Of that 1 % is reserved for the medical ones. When they show me papers...the other 2% goes to bigger people who are just too awesome of people to not respect.
Same here haha I always stand when everyone else is sitting and they always say I'm making them nervous, I just like standing..

Deeerdre

Deeerdre

Awards
  • Established