When I see/think food, I lose it...

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  249 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.5%

When I see/think food, I lose it...

I used to be a little over 300 pounds. I used to eat fast food multiple times a day. I broke up with my then girlfriend and realized that if I wanted to be confident in myself and found attractive by girls, I needed to make changes, and I did. I cut out all junk food and replaced them with brown rice, spinach, cottage cheese, vegetables, oatmeal, protein shakes, eggs, and all the good stuff. I pretty much gave up alcohol and went from having 6 large meals a day to smaller meals throughout the day. While before I always had the necessity to be stuffed to the brim, I went to being content with just being satisfied. I used to pay close attention at every moment, and make good decisions. Simple things like adding no cheese or saying no to mayo went a long way since I made the right decisions at every opportunity. In a nutshell, I was 100% determined.

I went from about 310 to 233. I was the happiest I have ever been. This was about 2 years ago.

Now I weigh 244, and although the difference is *only* 11 pounds, It seems as if I've gained about 20-25 pounds of just fat. My belly has gotten big again and my tits have gotten bigger. I am not nearly as fit anymore, and most importantly, not nearly as happy. Ive become that miserable fat bastard again.

The problem really isnt the gym for me, the problem is my diet. I can bust out in the gym no problem, but I erase all my gains with my diet. Whereas I go the entire day eating well and making great decisions, the second I get home I just lose it. I eat 2-3 times more than I should when I get home. Its like hunger takes over and I lose sight of all my vision and goals. I binge eat on the relatively healthy stuff (and sometimes, but rarely, the unhealthy).

Sorry for the long post, but I am just at a loss as to what to do. This is my typical regimen:

7:30AM - Breakfast: 1 english muffin with peanut butter, 1 apple or pear, 1 string cheese

10AM - 1 hard boiled egg, handful almonds

12pm - lunch: subway: footlong oven roasted chicken breast (or the like...)

3pm - almonds, or some sort of small healthy snack

6pm - 10 pm: I go nuts and just ruin it. I'd say I eat 500-700 extra calories than i should be, resulting in at least 5 extra pounds a month.

What do you guys suggest? Is after-work bingeing a problem for anyone else? How can I take control over this portion of my diet so that I can start seeing results again? I've had the discipline/willpower to do this in the past, yet I just cant seem to find it in the last 2 years. IT seems that I have regained my insatiable appetite... It sucks for food to constantly be on my mind and have it control my life.

2. New Member
    Stats
    5'8"  170 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    20%

Your not eating enough quality calories throughout the day. Probably also not enough fiber and protein, both very good for keeping one satisfied.

Try replacing the english muffin with some scrambled egg whites if you have the time to cook. If not, try a shake.

You also seem to have many snacks/meals within 2-3 hours apart in the early portion of the day, but then suddenly stop towards the evening. Try adding another small portioned snack near the end of the day around 6 thats high in protein.

Also what is your dinner like?
  3. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'1"  205 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    59.68%

Your volume of food is next to nothing. Try eating more veggies. A ton. Every meal.

Also, up that lean protein intake. For someone your size, I'd say start at 6-8oz portions of lean meat, 3-5x a day. Your appetite seems insatiable because you starve yourself all day and then binge at night. Don't worry, a lot of people do that. Just do the things I said and see how that goes for a week. Be prepared to fight cravings for a few weeks though, especially if you're used to eating junk.
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    76.64%

Are you working out in the evening and then binging when you get home? If so then if you are able to try switching your workout to the morning. I know after I workout I get very hungry and need to eat a big meal so at least if you do this you won't be binging right before bed. This might not make a huge difference but it's a start. Also you could try uping your fiber in your dinner to help fill you up quicker.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    29.19%

Quote Originally Posted by getridofmytit View Post
    I used to be a little over 300 pounds. I used to eat fast food multiple times a day. I broke up with my then girlfriend and realized that if I wanted to be confident in myself and found attractive by girls, I needed to make changes, and I did. I cut out all junk food and replaced them with brown rice, spinach, cottage cheese, vegetables, oatmeal, protein shakes, eggs, and all the good stuff. I pretty much gave up alcohol and went from having 6 large meals a day to smaller meals throughout the day. While before I always had the necessity to be stuffed to the brim, I went to being content with just being satisfied. I used to pay close attention at every moment, and make good decisions. Simple things like adding no cheese or saying no to mayo went a long way since I made the right decisions at every opportunity. In a nutshell, I was 100% determined.

I went from about 310 to 233. I was the happiest I have ever been. This was about 2 years ago.

Now I weigh 244, and although the difference is *only* 11 pounds, It seems as if I've gained about 20-25 pounds of just fat. My belly has gotten big again and my tits have gotten bigger. I am not nearly as fit anymore, and most importantly, not nearly as happy. Ive become that miserable fat bastard again.

The problem really isnt the gym for me, the problem is my diet. I can bust out in the gym no problem, but I erase all my gains with my diet. Whereas I go the entire day eating well and making great decisions, the second I get home I just lose it. I eat 2-3 times more than I should when I get home. Its like hunger takes over and I lose sight of all my vision and goals. I binge eat on the relatively healthy stuff (and sometimes, but rarely, the unhealthy).

Sorry for the long post, but I am just at a loss as to what to do. This is my typical regimen:

7:30AM - Breakfast: 1 english muffin with peanut butter, 1 apple or pear, 1 string cheese

10AM - 1 hard boiled egg, handful almonds

12pm - lunch: subway: footlong oven roasted chicken breast (or the like...)

3pm - almonds, or some sort of small healthy snack

6pm - 10 pm: I go nuts and just ruin it. I'd say I eat 500-700 extra calories than i should be, resulting in at least 5 extra pounds a month.

What do you guys suggest? Is after-work bingeing a problem for anyone else? How can I take control over this portion of my diet so that I can start seeing results again? I've had the discipline/willpower to do this in the past, yet I just cant seem to find it in the last 2 years. IT seems that I have regained my insatiable appetite... It sucks for food to constantly be on my mind and have it control my life.
    Congrats on your personal weight-loss. I think at this point, to realize your true goals, you will need to pay precise attention to macronutrient intake as well as timing. Your diet over-all has a low thermic effect and is quite low in calories - this will cause a sluggish metabolism. For starters your protein intake is too low and not evenly spread out. You should also aim to eat lots of green veggies (as was previously suggested in this thread).

-Alex

Similar Forum Threads

1. Replies: 44
    Last Post: 04-08-2013, 12:02 AM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 09:01 PM
  4. Marijuana,metabolize food, just like alcohol and food?
    By socal101 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-22-2008, 06:36 PM
  5. help me lose!
    By THEleroy in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 09:00 PM