How Effective Would This Diet Be Vs CKD / Keto For Fat Loss...

WilteredFire

WilteredFire

Awards
  • Established
Guys its coming upto to summer, and Im managing to slowly slowly lose fat, but its taking time without supplements since my finances are a little tight recently, so I wanted to know if anybody can share the effectiveness of what im asking below....

If i was to cut back my carbs from say around 150-175 which I have a day at present (All Clean and Complex Carbs by the way) to lets say 100grams of carbs a day, or even 75 grams a day whilst keeping Fat intake moderate/higher then I normally do and Protein high as normal...

My main reasoning here is that it may be a better option then just following the normal 35-gram a day routine for fat loss Mon-Fri and then a refeed on the weekend...Which might cause me to lose strength or not have sufficient energy on my workout days Monday to Friday...

So...If i was to have say 75-100grams of Complex Carbs as opposed to the current 150-175 per day and in exchange increase my fat intake 25-40 grams or so, should this be enough to get my body to burn fat? Any idea even on wether my bodys energy source would switch to fat as opposed to carbs to some degree?

Also being vegetarian, If i was to do the 35gram Carbs a day Routine, it would be quite difficult as I would only be able to eat Cheese, and Egg through the whole day pretty much with around 2 slices of whole bread to play with to give me 30-35grams of my carbs seeing as I cant eat meat.

Any helpful advice on this would be most appreciated, particular from those with experience with dropping there carbs to this level. Cheers guys!

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
Forget a ketogenic style diet if you are a vegetarian. It has been proven multiple times (forgive me for not posting the articles and studies) that the amino acid profile of vegetarian protein sources is dismal in comparison to animal protein. (ESPECIALLY LEUCINE !!!) Look for information on this from Dr. Scott Connelly. In effect this means that the average animal protein consuming individual getting 300 grams of protein per day is actually getting more than twice as much quality nutrient/amino acid content from their protein as the average non animal protein consuming individual. This in turn would mean that the non animal protein consuming individual would have to take in a massive amount of protein to equal the "protein benefit" of someone consuming high quality animal protein.

To give a good example of the kind of studies and information this is being drawn from:
There has been an argument made that non animal protein sources i.e plant sources are just as high in protein quality as animal protein. This argument stemmed specifically from a specific species of howler monkeys (I believe) that are vegetarian by nature, and they were on average just as high in muscle mass as other species. The problem with this argument is that the species in question spent on averge something like 18-20 total hours a day doing nothing but eating. This is due to the fact that the quality of protein they were consuming was so poor that they had to eat ALL DAY long to make up for it.

Sorry for the detour, but to fully answer your question:

(NOTE: Drop any non complex carb sources, and eat only wheat or sprouted-grain breads.)

You need to increase your protein even higher than you have it now. (I can almost guarantee it is too low given that it is plant-source in nature.) Dropping your carbohydrates from 150-175 to 75-100 will certainly help your body depend more on fat for energy. I believe that on average your brain will need something like 100 grams of carbs /day to function properly (assuming you are not in ketosis). Dropping to this level or below, along with exercise, should ensure that you will have to draw energy to some degree from fat. Now, to ensure that some of this energy expenditure is from stored bodyfat and not just dietary fat you have to consider the types and amount of fat you are consuming. Disconsider all essential fatty acids from your intake (as these are by nature a neccessity). What you should be left with is approximately 60-70% of total fat intake (This will include saturated fat, monounsat, polyunsat. I try to take in as much EFA and good fat as possible). Of this amount leftover try to keep your saturated fats reasonable (not above 20% total fat calories). Now based on your maintenance level of calories you will be able to determine how much total fat you will need to maintain homeostasis. Drop your fat by at least 10-20%. Attempt to diet at this level unless or until you do not lose bodyfat. Continue next to cut back on carbs further until you get down to 50 grams before again cutting fats.

This should help you drop some fat (Not as well as a ketogenic diet, but still useful). Feel free to email me or pm me if you need clarification or would like to consult with me on diet/exercise.

BEAST