Max-OT and cardio???

good_guye28

Awards
  • Established
ok guys i started max ot and now im in my 3rd week. i workout at 9am now and then i go to work at 230. once may hits ill be working out at 1pm the question i have is, would it be ok to do cardio at say 9am and then workout at 1 or do you think this is too close....

i know your not suppose to do your cardio right after training so im trying to find a way to sneak some cardio in at least a few times a week.

thanks for your help as usual..

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Who says you can't do cardio after training? A low intensity session right after resistance training is very benenficial.

good_guye28

Awards
  • Established
i had read a few articles that were saying you needed to get your protein in the initial 45 min after your workout..
how long would you say bobo?

mike02885

Awards
i had read a few articles that were saying you needed to get your protein in the initial 45 min after your workout..
when your finished with your workout (or on the last exercise) have a 20-30g whey shake, then do low intensity cardio, have your normal post workout meal after the cardio

Billy the kid

Board Supporter
Awards
I am having the same dilemma.

I assume you are doing the max OT cardio.

They say do it 12 hours apart, but i have decided that i will fit it in whenever i feel ready for it.

I have modified the MAX O/T workout to suit my needs

Here is the way i do it. I just seperate the cardio and weight training as best as i can that day.
I do not take off days at this time and i am liking it.

Day 1
Bench press 3x4-6
incline press 2x4-6
Dips 2x4-6
ABS crunch,vacuum,leg raises,side crunches
Late cardio-Plyometrics and sprints

Day 2
Early cardio, light bike ride
Pull Ups 3x4-6
BBRows 2x4-6
Pull Downs 2x4-6
Seated Rows 2x4-6
Curls Dropset 6/8/10

Day 3
Early Cardio, Box,heavy bag
Squats 5 sets 12/10/8/6/4 up to 90% of max
Lunges 3 setsx10 each leg
Ham Curls 3 sets 8-10

Day 4
Military press 3x4-6
DB Shoulder press 2x4-6
DB side laterals 2x8-10
Tricep drop set 6/8/10
ABS crunch,vacuum,leg raises,side crunches
Late cardio lightbag work

Day 5 one workout as soon as possiblethat day
Calf raises
Plyometrics/sprints

Day 6
Box early
Dumbell Complex 6 sets of 30 reps Using a percentage of your weakest exercise. 40/45/50/45/55/60

Repeat

DB complex consists of a superset of the following 6 exercises, performed 6 reps each, non stop with 60 seconds rest between sets.
Uprightrow, High pull snatch, squat push press, bent over row, high pull snatch

I keep my cardio intense,i limit it to 30 minutes and i do it everyday.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established

As long as its not 2-3 hours later your fine. GH secretions last from 30-60 minutes after resistance training, catechlomines are high and fat burning is optimal. Throw a low intenstiy cardio session for 30 minutes (brisk walking on treadmill, slow biking) and you will burn fat and not increase catabolism at all. And no, you don't need to have a whey shake before. Have that as soon as you finish cardio.

Chunky

Awards
How much intensity is too much after a weight training session ? I mean, I can work up to what % of my maximum ?

Because I generally do jumping rope before training for warming up, but since I check a lot of this forum lately, I read at many place that light cardio after training would be beneficial for fat loss, so I would do jumping rope after my training session, for about 20-30 minutes.

Also, from what I've read, I have a couple of question about catabolism - cardio.

1- Doing cardio on empty stomach (1st thing in the morning) is kind of the same of doing it after weight training, since glycogen store are low. But why not doing HIIT training for 15 min ? Is it because high intensity training will attack glycogen even more (when we are talking after a weight training session) so you will not be able to get benefit from FFA ?

2- When cortisol level is high, it may be good for burning fat, but isnt't that catabolism too (breaking down muscle tissus). Why the body would end up using the small % of fat we have, when we have a good deal of muscle that can be broken down ?

Thanks for advices.

Last edited:
Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
1. Jumping rope would be bit much. When were talking low intensity were talking brisk walking or the stationary bike and your looking for around 120-135 heartrate.

2. HIIT cardio is much dependent on glycgoen storage than even weight training, so yes you could very easily cross that threashold if done on an empty stomach. Treat it as a weight training session and adjust diet accordinly.

3. Yes, when cortisol is high it is generally good for overall fat loss, but you don't want too much as you want to have a constant supply of triglycerides being released (low intenstisy is great for this) and then those circulting FFA's to be oxidized (weight training, HIIT, diet). ITs a fine line when your lean and have a low bf% but its something you really don't have to worry about too much if your 12-15%+ unless your restriciting calroes too much.