First Time Cutting Help

pman

pman

Awards
A little back ground first...Been lifting for 22 years, gained 100 plus lbs (260lbs now) and have never done a cut. I would like to cut about 30 lbs of fat but keep my 22 years of hard earned muscle. I've been consulting with a co worker who did some bodybuilding competitions 15 to 20 years ago and hes telling me that he would do the Adkins diet for 8 weeks when he was cutting for a show, so he is recomending that i go down to about 20 to 30 grams of carbs a day. My goal is not preparing for a contest but to finally show off the hard earned work...should I try to go down to 20 grams of carbs a day and keep the protien and heathy fats high or is this too low for what I want to do?
I know this worked for him ( I've seen his trophys ).

BoyFromAus

Awards
  • Established
good work man.... that's a helluva lot of mass you've put on. What is the timeframe you're looking at for cutting?

If you're looking to cut over a whole year, i'd say go with macros that are 40 - 40 - 20.

for me, when i did this, i actually gained strength and marginal muscle size while losing close to 30lbs of fat. Mind you, it did take a whole 14 months for me to do this.

as far as training, it was varied between Hi volume and Hi intensity.

CKD and other low/no carb diets never sat well with me but If I was to aim for bodyfat level below 9% (9 being the lowest i've gotten) then i'd definitely use it. I'd use the Ultimate Diet v 2.0 by Lyle McDonald

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • Established
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
A little back ground first...Been lifting for 22 years, gained 100 plus lbs (260lbs now) and have never done a cut. I would like to cut about 30 lbs of fat but keep my 22 years of hard earned muscle. I've been consulting with a co worker who did some bodybuilding competitions 15 to 20 years ago and hes telling me that he would do the Adkins diet for 8 weeks when he was cutting for a show, so he is recomending that i go down to about 20 to 30 grams of carbs a day. My goal is not preparing for a contest but to finally show off the hard earned work...should I try to go down to 20 grams of carbs a day and keep the protien and heathy fats high or is this too low for what I want to do?
I know this worked for him ( I've seen his trophys ).
Personally, I wouldn't recommend being so drastic with your diet. Eliminating or cutting out carbohydrates as much as that is not, IMO, the answer to effective fat loss. Please read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss - this article covers everything that you need to know re fat loss for both nutrition AND training. "Cutting" - or losing fat - is NOT as hard as you might think, and you do NOT have to be ridiculous about it.

First, find out what your body composition is. Then select a target body composition. Based on a safe loss of 0.5% bodyfat per week, calculate how long it will take you to reach your target body composition from where you are currently. Then, consistently following the principles outlined in the article linked above, you will be on the journey to successfully reaching your goal.

~Team APPNUT

pman

pman

Awards
Thanks for the input guys, that will probably get me started.