Can't gain weight

Ebankls

Awards
I am new over here and had a couple of quick questions. After searching around the forums for a bit, I did that calculation in the sticky thread up top, which comes out telling me I would have to eat something like 12k calories a day to gain 1 pound a week!

Obviously eating 12k calories a day is probably not all that easy to accomplish. Right now I am guessing I have only been eating 3000-3500 calories a day, and isn't exactly the best stuff for me either.

Here is my situation.

I am 23, 5'9", 125 lbs. I have never really been able to gain weight, and my job requires 14 hr shifts 3 days a week with no lunch break. I need to find a food or some source of calories/protein that I can eat at work as my shift goes by.

Obviously to gain weight properly I need to begin a workout also, but until I get my caloric intake going the way it needs to be then I think it would be counterproductive to work out (i.e. I feel like I would lose even a little more weight).

Do any of you have suggestions on snackable foods that won't be bad for me, but are high in calories. I am not wanting to get giant or anything, but I would like to add 15-20 lbs of muscle mass over the summer and keep my body fat low like it is now.

-Ethan

goldylight

***** Vampire
Awards
  • Established
Start out by going to fitday.com and see how much you actually eat - it is a website wher you log what you eat and it tells you the calorie breakdown. i would honestly start at 2750 calories if you are not at that already and increase it by 250 calories every week until you see the scale move. as far as snackable food - try nuts and look up wardogs protein bars and try taking those with you to work. if you dont work out and just try eating you will gain fat only and not muscle - start both and you will be in good shape. avoid all sugars and white flours. Eat plenty of good fats like olive oil, flax oil, nuts, eggs, milk.

westniles

Awards
At your height and weight you are definately not eating 3000 calories. Record all that you eat and slowly increase until you gain.

Ebankls

Awards
At your height and weight you are definately not eating 3000 calories. Record all that you eat and slowly increase until you gain.
Right now with my schedule I eat 2 fast food meals, one microwave dinner at work, drink a boost plus (360 calories), drink one soda, and have a glass of milk or OJ every morning. I would imagine that would put me pretty close to 3000 calories right now, but I could be wrong as I have never actually gotten onto the fast food sites to see the calories of the various items.

I also drink 10-15 glasses of water every day... Obviously that doesn't do anything to my calories, but it is about the one healthy thing I take in every day other than the Boost.

-Ethan

mybadodge

Awards
do a search for the homemade weight gainer shake and have it as soon as you crawl outta bed in the morning. it's 1200 quality calories and a good way to kick start your day

hope this helps

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
You should completely overhaul your diet and start training, but I realize this takes time :)

In the meantime your best friend will be Wardog's homemeade protein bars, there simply is nothing better when taste and price is compared. Search here for them and thank me later ;)

Last edited:

Ebankls

Awards
Thanks guys. I will try and make Wardogs bars and add snack on them throughout the day. Sounds like an easy way to add 1500+ calories and 80+ grams of protein, especially if they taste as good as everyone says.

-Ethan

mrfumetsu

Awards
I am 23, 5'9", 125 lbs

thats all i read, and just by reading that i can tell you right now that you aren't eating enough.

VanillaGorilla

Awards
  • Established
You need to figure out how many calories you are consuming first. The cheapest thing would be to make a home made weight gainer that you could put in a container that can hold several servings and drink it at work.

maggmaster

Awards
  • Established
1. Most of what you are eating is simple carbs....that kinda sux
2. There is a medical condition where you can eat basically anythuing and not gain weight its called hyperthyroidsm Ill bet you can guess how it works, go get tested for it.
3. If you want to gain weight satrt working out, even just the newbie gains will look impressive on someone of your stature trust me I know i was 5'8 128 lbs @ 6% bf when I entered college and Im 5'8 176 lbs @ 10% bf as I sit here.

Gixxer

Awards
Right now with my schedule I eat 2 fast food meals, one microwave dinner at work, drink a boost plus (360 calories), drink one soda, and have a glass of milk or OJ every morning. I would imagine that would put me pretty close to 3000 calories right now, but I could be wrong as I have never actually gotten onto the fast food sites to see the calories of the various items.

-Ethan
At most I would say you are taking in 2k calories and they are not quality ones at that.