Light Beers Effects

Havoc

Awards
Awesome site here that some one posted about on another forum, so i've read a bit and really like what i see here.

so here is my first topic.

I need to loose some weight/body fat! Im on a decent work out plan and eat pretty well, mostly low carb. my problem is i like to drink beer quiet a bit, 9/10 times i drink mich ultra the stuff with only 2.6 grams of carbs per beer. if i drink between 5-10 beers 3-4 times a week, how much is this hurting me?

any feedback and suggestion would be appreciated.

cctez

Board Supporter
Awards
How tall are you? BF%?

I think that you should rethink your diet. If that were my diet, I wouldn't say that I was "eating pretty well." No matter how good the rest of your nutrition is, drinking that much beer low carb or not, is going to negatively impact your training. Isn't it hard to motivate yourself to get into the gym consuming so much beer?

If you are serious about getting in shape, you need to cut the beer to a couple a week. Then when you reach your goals, you will know how your body responds to beer, etc. and then you can decide how much or how little to drink to maintain your overall nutrtion and health.

Good luck...

Havoc

Awards
Thanks for the reply.

5'8 about 180-185

body fat, im not sure probaly anywhere from 12-15% I am not looking to enter any contest or go anywhere near that extreme, I would just like to get down to about 10% bf amd 170-175 lbs.

No, its actually not hard to motivate myself to get into the gym. sometimes the mich ultra is like a nice reward. I do understand that the ultra beer is definitley not something u wanna drink if ur preparing for a contest, but thats not me. I mainly wanted to know, i.e. if i did a 2500 cal a day diet, 1700-1900 a day was very healty, would it kill it all if the other 6-700 were from the mich ultra?
How tall are you? BF%?

I think that you should rethink your diet. If that were my diet, I wouldn't say that I was "eating pretty well." No matter how good the rest of your nutrition is, drinking that much beer low carb or not, is going to negatively impact your training. Isn't it hard to motivate yourself to get into the gym consuming so much beer?

If you are serious about getting in shape, you need to cut the beer to a couple a week. Then when you reach your goals, you will know how your body responds to beer, etc. and then you can decide how much or how little to drink to maintain your overall nutrtion and health.

Good luck...

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
Low carb or high carb beer will not matter. All beer is very low in carbs. Its not the carbs that make you fat, it's the alcohol blocking your body's ability to metabolize fat & the added empty calories in the beer.

To be honest, I do drink, but only once every 3 weeks or so in moderation. It's part of the lifestyle, the choice is yours. Don't expect to lose much fat while binge drinking several nights a week. Beer belly or visible abs? You can get in good shape & still drink occasionally, but you'll need to cut back for results.

Havoc

Awards
I think im gonna go 14 days with out a drop of beer and see what happens.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You know, now that summer is coming, this quesiton has been on my mind constantly, too!

As far as imnpact on metabolism--I've seen people who regularly drink a few beers after work every day drop 10-20 pounds in one month from cutting it out...seriously.

I LOVE drinking, there's nothing better in the summertime here in Chicago on a warm afternoon...but I totally keep it to a bare min. b/c it makes it hard to reach my goals.

On the other hand, you have professional European soccer players who prety much drink after every match, and they are in incredible shape. When I ran college track, booze didn't have as mcuh of an effect...but now...ouch!!

I think competetive athletes have to make a choice, but for the rest of us, moderation is where it's at...you can have your abs and drink beer too...just not if you're taking M1T!

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
It's all about moderation. As we get closer to 30, we can get away with less of what we did at 21. Just try to stay away from Wrigley Field when cutting.

Tahq

Awards
It is really a decision on how committed you want to be to your fitness goals. If you want to be 'ripped' then 30 beers a week even at 100 empty calories is still 3,000 calories and that's a pretty good hurdle to overcome. You can try to offset it with cardio, but the extra cardio is not going to help build muscle mass.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Alcohol bascially sabotages fat loss and gains in so many ways there are too many to list.

Havoc

Awards
I LOVE drinking, there's nothing better in the summertime here in Chicago on a warm afternoon...
Hell ya, right up in the bleachers at Wrigley Field!!! Im from chicago to!

Thank you all for all your replies.

size

Awards
  • Established
Look if you want to drink beer then by all means drink it. However, do not fall for the low carb beer bullshit. There is little difference between most "light" beers and others taste much better than that mich ultra crap. Try amstel light for instance.

Calories / Grams of carbohyrdates
Amstel Light - 95 / 5
Bud Light - 110 / 6.6
Corona Light - 105 / 5.0
Keystone Light - 100 / 5.0
Michelob Light - 134 / 11.7
Michelob Ultra - 95 / 2.6
Miller Lite - 96 / 3.2
Sam Adams Light- 124 / 9.7

However, if you want to lose weight then you need to limit your drinking. When losing weight/fat one has to make sacrifices, so you need to reduce your drinking to 1 time a week and in moderate dosages, say a 6 pack or less.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
Look if you want to drink beer then by all means drink it. However, do not fall for the low carb beer bullshit. There is little difference between most "light" beers and others taste much better than that mich ultra crap. Try amstel light for instance.

Calories / Grams of carbohyrdates
Amstel Light - 95 / 5
Bud Light - 110 / 6.6
Corona Light - 105 / 5.0
Keystone Light - 100 / 5.0
Michelob Light - 134 / 11.7
Michelob Ultra - 95 / 2.6
Miller Lite - 96 / 3.2
Sam Adams Light- 124 / 9.7

However, if you want to lose weight then you need to limit your drinking. When losing weight/fat one has to make sacrifices, so you need to reduce your drinking to 1 time a week and in moderate dosages, say a 6 pack or less.
Even Guinness is only 110 calories & 10g of carbs, and that's the heartiest of beers. But a few of them adds up pretty quick.

Brodus

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You know, I actually drank O'Douls at the ballpark on Saturday! Sure, not the same, but I do like the taste. As a bonus, it was $2 cheaper, but I'm more concerned about the effects of the alcohol on my metabolism than the carbs or cals, or even cost. I can actually feel the metabolic shift occurring when I drink. It's a challenge for me, but I'm getting better.

Believe it or not, Heineken and a lot of other manufacturers make non-al. beers, like Buckler, and Kaliber, which not only taste good but don't scream "FAKE BEER" when you're at a bar. Also, there are some "Super Light" beers that have only 2% alcohol, a kind of half-point.

beamen28

beamen28

Awards
i am a hardgainer and everytime i drink i lose weight. since i am in college it is hard because all my friends are real into partying. plus the weight i lose is not good weight either, i lose my musle tone and it really sucks. i have cut my drinking down to once every two weeks and i have really seen a big improvement in my training and the way i look.

Longdog

Awards
  • Established
i am a hardgainer and everytime i drink i lose weight. since i am in college it is hard because all my friends are real into partying. plus the weight i lose is not good weight either, i lose my musle tone and it really sucks. i have cut my drinking down to once every two weeks and i have really seen a big improvement in my training and the way i look.
It's rough to be in college & try to live a healthy lifestyle. Keep it in moderation, but don't waste the best years of your life not having any fun. When I was in school, GHB was legal so we had a good alternative to drinking. You could party with all the drunks, then feel great in the morning & go train. It would be harder to do that now, obviously.

MaDmaN

MaDmaN

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Everything in moderation, a couple of drinks on the weekends will not kill you ..I have noticed a marked improvement eliminating all alcohol in terms of fat loss....

bigpump23

Awards
drinking is bad, plan and simple..it kills your fat loss effort, drops your test levels, those are some of the bad effects, but they are too numerous

sifrx

Awards
You know I have always heard about beer hurting your effectiveness of your diet. I just got back from a 6 month deployment. The whole time I was gone I didn't have to much of a choice of what I ate. Believe or not you can gain weight in a desert. Now that I am back I've been drinking lite beers a few times a week but not that much. I have also gone back on my much more healthy eating. I have lost 7 lbs and I've been back for about 4 weeks now, what gives? I know I am not going to add on any muscle but where I am I can't carry all that extra weight.

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
40 beers a week! No bro. I've been there cause I like to drink too but if you cut out the alcohol and didnt replace that with something else (like junk food) you'd drop weight real quick. You're drinking 4-5 times a week - can you cut back to once a week?

yeahfairly

Awards
Everyone is different. I am not going to tell you beer or alcohol is healthy, but once you lose the body fat you are looking to loose, you can drink. How much you can drink will depend on how hard you are willing to work in the gym to maintain. I was stationed overseas and worked with a few Brits and Germans who drank hard every night. They were in the gym working their tails off every day as well. They maintained their weight and muscle mass without any issues, braincells are another matter!

CrazyChemist

CrazyChemist

Awards
  • Established
Everyone is different. I am not going to tell you beer or alcohol is healthy, but once you lose the body fat you are looking to loose, you can drink. How much you can drink will depend on how hard you are willing to work in the gym to maintain. I was stationed overseas and worked with a few Brits and Germans who drank hard every night. They were in the gym working their tails off every day as well. They maintained their weight and muscle mass without any issues, braincells are another matter!
If you want to lose weight you need to adjust your diet, not your training. If you evaluate your diet and recognize you are consuming 40 weeks weekly that is a good place to start. I'm sure the rest of the diet needs work as well.

Look, in college I wasn't really concerned with these things. Stayed in shape but wasn't very focused on diet. If you want to be shredded you need to have a clean diet.

REEVESDIESEL

REEVESDIESEL

Awards
  • Established
First off, that beer your drinking I pray your not having at the bars, cause if so, you look very gay. MEN do not hold that **** in their hands or consume.

That is for girly girls who are trying to watch their cals, carbs, figure.

Drink some Coors Light or something like that, Amstel Light.

OR, drink some non light beer with more taste and just workout like a man.
And don't drink like a fish, enjoy your beer but don't have 20 of them!