Best food for before bed

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. Originally posted by sage

your reasoning is a good attempt () however exBE, the high GI before bed i dont recommend at all, even for the greatest of ecto's (which i aint calling you that but making an example).
    More easily stored as fat with the matlo and fructose , however the whey/casein, brownrice, the fats are sound choices in your situation. the soy.....aight, ill buy your case but ill opt. for egg albumen if you looking for a "longer lasting" protein source...soy i recommened for individuals concerned about losing a few. Sage
    well I dont really get carried away with the malto... its usually 8 grams or less, just enough to carry the whey to the muscles easily. The banana is something I have been experimenting with for the last week. Its there for the vitamins/minerals and easy cals.
    Fruits generally do not increase fat gain like it has been made out to be in recent years. The studys that were done were using high fructose corn syrup on rats. The amount of fiber/water in fruits causes alot of calorie use in digestion.

2. Well I left a protein drink next to my bed. I drank the protein drink when I got up to go to the bathroom. Got back to sleep just fine.

Worked out real easy. ex-bannana give it a try.

Thanks to all the guys who suggested this.
    •   

3. Originally posted by Workman

Worked out real easy. ex-bannana give it a try.

thats what i used to do. but im a little bit of an insomniac so i dont seem to fall asleep for a while.

4. Originally posted by ex_banana-eater

thats what i used to do. but im a little bit of an insomniac so i dont seem to fall asleep for a while.

same here man...I don't even know when the hell i slept for 8 hours straight...not even 5 hours straight.  Im about to make my before bed meal and through some Tranquil-G in it or something. 

for the past few nights, i been eating a 4 oz turkey burger (home made with extra lean ground turkey)....with about 1/2 cup cottage cheese......im hoping the turkey would help me sleep..doesnt seem to work, but still tastes good and has a good mix of protiens..IMO

h19

5. Originally posted by u4ik_rage
    I don't set my alarm or anything. I just wake up at some point in the night for the bathroom. The shake is on my nightstand. It takes less than 10 seconds to chug and I usually don't even remember drinking it. It effects my sleep in abslutely no way, so I don't see why anybody (working out) wouldn't do this.
    I've done this for about a year now.Just before bed I eat a large protein meal with flax oil, but no carbs. Chicken, cottage cheese, salmon, whatever, but NOT whey protein.
    Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
    well I dont really get carried away with the malto... its usually 8 grams or less, just enough to carry the whey to the muscles easily. The banana is something I have been experimenting with for the last week. Its there for the vitamins/minerals and easy cals.
    Fruits generally do not increase fat gain like it has been made out to be in recent years. The studys that were done were using high fructose corn syrup on rats. The amount of fiber/water in fruits causes alot of calorie use in digestion.
    The malto/whey combo is the worst combination I can think of just before bed. Unlike the post-workout situation, where one is trying to halt catabolism from an intense workout and needs an insulin spike and the fastest absorbed protein available; before bed we want to partake of a slowly digested protein, like casein or beef, which will take several hours to digest and be assimilated. Malto, with its GI rating of 130 is not needed or wanted here-NONE at all! Though considered a complex carb, it has a higher spike than Dextrose. Maltodextrin before bed will add only one thing, FAT! And fructose, has little to no impact on insulin levels due to the fact that it does not cause a substantial rise in blood sugar, as it's too busy refilling liver glycogen stores or making triglycerides. banana-eater, I'm not trying to insult you, as I think you are generally a pretty sharp guy, but you are wrong about fructose. All fiber causes calorie use in digestion, but in fruit, there is not enough to make a difference. Bananas have a lot of valuable nutrients like potassium, but with all that fructose, plus 40 grams carbohydrate each, eating one of these before bed is like taking a FAT pill! The quickest way I know to a 40" waistline.
    •   

6. I heard that it can be valuable to take a whey and high GI combination in small amounts at ALL meals because it takes the body from an anti-catabolic to an anabolic phase. Why just eat foods to prevent catabolism when you can also create anabolism before bed?

Thanks for the advice guys I stopped using the banana. I just have a multi and some metamucil (sugar free) instead.

7. Cottage Cheese.

8. Originally posted by ex_banana-eater
    I heard that it can be valuable to take a whey and high GI combination in small amounts at ALL meals because it takes the body from an anti-catabolic to an anabolic phase. Why just eat foods to prevent catabolism when you can also create anabolism before bed?

Thanks for the advice guys I stopped using the banana. I just have a multi and some metamucil (sugar free) instead.
    Bobo has got me convinced that high g.i. carbs are NEVER much good, even post-workout. After trying oatmeal instead of malto/dextro post-workout, I find gains are the same, and bodyfat is dropping. Hate to admit it, but that clown was right about something.

9. i would try oatmeal (cleaner source of complex carbs rather than maltodextrine and corn sugar/dextrose) however, i pound my post workout drink at exactly that...post. (start sipping on it 10 minutes towards the end of the workout) cant bring a microwave/pot to the gym....of course the first whole of after post workout drink (1-1.5 mins after), my meal consist of a cup of oatmeal. So my situation puts it that i would have to stick with what ive been doing for 4-5 years now.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. 125 best foods for men
    By jjohn in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-30-2012, 09:44 AM
  2. Best Foods for TESTOSTERONE?!
    By Z28Luver7777 in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 72
    Last Post: 07-27-2010, 08:27 PM
  3. best foods for aas mass cycling?
    By bigrobk in forum Cycle Logs