Question about carb cycling

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
I did do a search and read many threads but something still gets to me.

When you carb cycle, you don't take in account the calories, just carbs. So you have low carb days and high carb days.

But what's the science behind it? Because I thought that what really mattered was the amount of calories you consumed, that would determine weight loss/gain.

But the guy said that he chose to carb cycle because it's a burden to count calories (which i agree).

Please help

GM muscle

Awards
well calories are some what taken into account.. the main thing is that instead of dropping carbs for a long amount of time and slowing down your metabolism, youre actually keeping your metabolism stimulated by taking in higher and lower amounts on different days.. on my low carb days im doing only steady state cardio and on high carb days im doing weights and HIIT. there is still a calorie deficit. Muscle and Fitness that has 50 cent on the front of it has a pretty decent article on the "science" of it...

mixedup

mixedup

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
I did do a search and read many threads but something still gets to me.

When you carb cycle, you don't take in account the calories, just carbs. So you have low carb days and high carb days.

But what's the science behind it? Because I thought that what really mattered was the amount of calories you consumed, that would determine weight loss/gain.

But the guy said that he chose to carb cycle because it's a burden to count calories (which i agree).

Please help

i think it depends where you are in your weightloss scheme. total amount of calories is going to be a big deal if you are just starting out or have a lot of weight to drop. Low carbs i find come in better once you have lost weight and need to break plateua etc.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
It is what matters. You can lose or gain weight on any ratio of macronutrients. There are people who claim that one way is better than the other and there are studies that say the same thing. What it really comes down to is eat less to lose weight and eat more to gain.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
Carb cycling has worked brilliantly for me to go from around 13% bf down to around 9 % whilst adding lean muscle. I'm going to go low carb now for the entire weeks with one cheat meal. This should help me drop down to around 7% over the next 3 weeks.

GM muscle

Awards
Carb cycling has worked brilliantly for me to go from around 13% bf down to around 9 % whilst adding lean muscle. I'm going to go low carb now for the entire weeks with one cheat meal. This should help me drop down to around 7% over the next 3 weeks.
Just a heads up, and you can do what you want but I've had several trainers say they prefer a 4 days low carb 5th day high carb schedule for cutting off that last bit

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
Just a heads up, and you can do what you want but I've had several trainers say they prefer a 4 days low carb 5th day high carb schedule for cutting off that last bit
What is considered Low and High in carb terms?

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
I believe that =/<150 is considered low carb.

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
I completely agree. I've tried a full seven days, but I've ended up slowing my metabolism and losing muscle. Up until now I've done one day carb, next day no carb.

GM muscle

Awards
What is considered Low and High in carb terms?
High car = 2-3 g/lb (of your LEAN body mass)
low carb= .5- 1.5 g/lb

drop your protien on high carb days down to about .75-1 g/lb

also this is for cutting. I wouldn't reccommend it too much longer than 8-12 weeks

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
I completely agree. I've tried a full seven days, but I've ended up slowing my metabolism and losing muscle. Up until now I've done one day carb, next day no carb.
I know you didn't mean to say "NO" carb...right?

GM muscle

Awards
you should at least have carbs in the morning and directly postworkout at the very minimum! other wise youre just wasting protien.. your body needs fuel and protien, in my opinion, is way more expensive fuel than carbs.. kinda like putting supreme gas in a lawn mower, its not going to run as good and its going to cost alot more..

SamuraiSid

Awards
It is what matters. You can lose or gain weight on any ratio of macronutrients. There are people who claim that one way is better than the other and there are studies that say the same thing. What it really comes down to is eat less to lose weight and eat more to gain.

Im happy you pointed this out, because far too many people believe in only one or two systems, and say all others are crap.

What works for me:

Workout days: at least 1lb protein per pound of bodyweight, 30g fat (approx.) and as many carbs as needed to keep me feeling full.

Day after workout day: breaky consists of a shake and source of carbs, usually oatmeal (1-2cups cooked) depending on how sore my muscles are.

Every other day: I still get my protein, but i do my best to reduce carbs as low as possible, rounding out my calories with added fat. Tahini, fish, flax and sunflower seeds.

i dont count, I just increase and decrease my macronutrients depending on expected activity level for the day. Its been working so far, and the best part about it is that as time goes on it gets easier and easier.

Mindless

Awards
Workout days: at least 1lb protein per pound of bodyweight, 30g fat (approx.) and as many carbs as needed to keep me feeling full.
So according to your stats, you eat 202lbs of protein a day. You gotta be a monster...

manny1519

Awards
one day no carbs, other 2-3 days low carb (pre and post carbs only), 4th day or whenever leg day comes its an all out carb fest. Well ,actually its as lowest fat as I can go, with mostly gluten-free carbs such as ezekiel bread, oats, gluten-free fat free chips, fat-free lactaid milk...stuff like that. I highly believe that if you eliminate lactose and gluten on your high carb days, you will not be nearly as bloated and your body will more readily absorb the nutrients. I also take in 1000 mg alpha lipoic acid on this day and 1000 mg chromium picolontate, as well as digestive enzymes that help break down protien and carbs easier. I have had great success with this, going from 9% percent body fat to about 4%, without counting calories, (i have a good eye for portions now).

manny1519

Awards
on no carb days i eat my maintence calories (around) to keep test levels up with all the high fat and protein intake. My lower cal days fall on low carb days as I switch it over to 500 below maintence. On high carb days I go as high as 750-1000 over maintence. This has worked for me really well. On no carb days my menu is like this:
meal one: 8 oz 97% lean ground beef with cup of egg beaters scrambled
meal two: two table spoons almond butter, two scoops soy protien
meal three: 8 oz chicken, 1/4 cup almonds, salad with no calorie dressing
meal four: (post workout) one scoop whey, one scoop soy blended
meal five: half a chicken with broccoli
meal six: 8 oz salmon, asparagus.
before bed or in the middle of the night if i pee: one scoop soy shake.

I drink extra water on this day since protein and fat are higher than other days. I also
supplement on extra fish oil and cla caps throughout the day, and take psylum husk to stay regular. I dont cound the fiborous carbs, as they are not metabolized by just getting up and taking a dump.

I only do cardio on this day, or if I need a plateu bust, ill do some crazy, balls to the wall full body workout to exhaust my system to the fullest.

FilipeBR

FilipeBR

Awards
on no carb days i eat my maintence calories (around) to keep test levels up with all the high fat and protein intake. My lower cal days fall on low carb days as I switch it over to 500 below maintence. On high carb days I go as high as 750-1000 over maintence. This has worked for me really well. On no carb days my menu is like this:
meal one: 8 oz 97% lean ground beef with cup of egg beaters scrambled
meal two: two table spoons almond butter, two scoops soy protien
meal three: 8 oz chicken, 1/4 cup almonds, salad with no calorie dressing
meal four: (post workout) one scoop whey, one scoop soy blended
meal five: half a chicken with broccoli
meal six: 8 oz salmon, asparagus.
before bed or in the middle of the night if i pee: one scoop soy shake.

I drink extra water on this day since protein and fat are higher than other days. I also
supplement on extra fish oil and cla caps throughout the day, and take psylum husk to stay regular. I dont cound the fiborous carbs, as they are not metabolized by just getting up and taking a dump.

I only do cardio on this day, or if I need a plateu bust, ill do some crazy, balls to the wall full body workout to exhaust my system to the fullest.
Very well explained, thank you for the answer!!

saggy321

Awards
  • Established
manny's method works really, tried it too. But as with most things you will have try a few different things to see what works for you. For eg. Something similiar to what manny has described has allowed me to put on lean muscle with little fat gain. But if I want to lose the stubborn fat I have go low carb for a number of days, or only have them after my workout. It seems as I've gotten older I really have manage my insulin to stay lean.