Clean Bulk Vs Cutting

RLD

Awards
You always hear people say lift heavy, eat ALOT and try to keep it as clean as possible and pack on some more muscle..

Can't this be the same ingridents for cutting? I also get confused when people are posting there bulking diets sometimes cause I'm like "Its all clean, healthy foods I eat the same when shedding some fat".

So sometimes I start to wonder am I cutting or bulking with what I'm doing? I just try to lift heavy and eat throughout the day as clean as possible, so might this do both? Build muscle and shed excess body fat?

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
If you eat more calories a day than your body is burning your going to gain weight. Doesn't matter if it comes from chicken breasts or big macs. Although eating poorly will help you to pack on extra fat, which is why we try and bulk cleanly.

queenofdamned

Awards
while trying to obtain muscle mass, one must put on fat IMO. keep your protein levels high and EAT!!!! it's pretty hard to put on quality muscle if you are trying to keep a "six pack" ....hell, i only see my abs for 6 months outta the year. it's what's underneath the fat that counts;)

candle25

candle25

Awards
  • Established
You always hear people say lift heavy, eat ALOT and try to keep it as clean as possible and pack on some more muscle..

Can't this be the same ingridents for cutting? I also get confused when people are posting there bulking diets sometimes cause I'm like "Its all clean, healthy foods I eat the same when shedding some fat".

So sometimes I start to wonder am I cutting or bulking with what I'm doing? I just try to lift heavy and eat throughout the day as clean as possible, so might this do both? Build muscle and shed excess body fat?
I do eat the same types of food when I bulk or cut. The main thing that changes is how much I eat (2000cal/day cut vs. 4300cals/day bulk) and what ratios I eat at (35/35/30 on bulk vs. 45/30/25 on cut).

Sticks

Get big or die trying
Awards
  • Established
I do eat the same types of food when I bulk or cut. The main thing that changes is how much I eat (2000cal/day cut vs. 4300cals/day bulk) and what ratios I eat at (35/35/30 on bulk vs. 45/30/25 on cut).
Exactly eat more gain more.

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards

Cutting=Eat under maintanence (usually with fat burners, cardio, etc)
Lean bulk=typical eating within 10-15% surplus without exceed 500 cals, usually leaner foods
Recomp=can mean anything but typicall maintance with resistance training and better diet (usually)
Dirty bulk=greater than 500 cal surplus, usually whatever you want

As you can see whatever you do it starts and end with diet, much like the food itself. ;)

sheepdog.tx

sheepdog.tx

Awards
Exactly eat more gain more.
Not exactly, theres dimishing results past 300 cals surplus a day and rarely beyond 500 cals. Even then if your macro ratio/timing and CNS stimulus isn't right you'll get even more fat/muscle ratio. Good place to start is here.

brolexander

brolexander

Awards
I think quality of food is more important to an extent than quantity, I was able to cut down on 2400 calories a day to 149lbs 6% at 5'5 which is almost above maintenance calories for my height/weight, while putting on solid muscle .