Who's Getting 400+ on protien

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    74.07%

Who's Getting 400+ on protien

How many people on here are eating 400+ protien a day? Whats some good tips u have to keep it up..im currently struggling to keep the protien that high..

2. She thinks my traps'rrrr sexy!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.52%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting Pro

Buy you're protein from proteincustomizer in 10lb bags. Get a 2.5L Rubbermaid Servin' Saver, fill up to 1400 or 1900 mL, and add 6 or 8 1/3 cup scoops giving you 150g or 200g of protein shake at 10g/100ml. Keep it in the fridge, take it to work and keep it in the fridge, ect.
  3. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.47%

Don't rely on getting a majority of your protein from shakes. Eat whole foods such as chicken breasts, tuna, fresh fish, fresh deli turkey, lean beef, egg whites, skim milk, raw almonds, canned shredded chicken, etc. Try making your cooked meats in advance so they are on-hand to eat. Try eating your protein evey couple of hours. It's hard to do this everyday, but this is the reason why you prepare your meals in advance. I get a couple of pounds of deli turkey and have it packaged in half pound bags, then I eat it on the go.

These are just a few suggestions. Hope this helps.
    •   

4. ***** Vampire
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    72.15%

half a pound of meat every 2.5 hours works for me with a shake in the AM and right before bed.
  5. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.58%

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs
    Don't rely on getting a majority of your protein from shakes.
    Why? I've heard this before but I don't understand how your body will know the difference.
  6. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    78.46%

Yeah, I hear a lot of anecdotal evidence on this, but I am curious where the proof is. I try to get my protein from food sources, but I'm still curious.
  7. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.43%

You're going to get a better quality of protein from meat and "real food" than from something manufactured in a lab. Nothing beats the real thing. The people around you will thank you as well.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.61%

You must be getting some bad protein. I have been protein shakes every morning and don't get gas. I have even used protein shakes through out the day at work (when I was bulking). I have read a few studies and articles about this myth about getting your protein from whole food. After everything I have read, I haven't seen anything yet that states whole food is better. So if you have some information backing up this whole food is better idea please post it so I can read up on it.
  9. The Axe Man Cometh!!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.97%

I'd like to see some evidence on that too.
    I usually get in about 350g of protein/day, used to get most of it in food sources and had all kinds of digestive problems. Now I split it about 50/50 from shakes and food and no digestive probs at all.
  10. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I guess I am lucky. I take in half of that a day, and I continuously grow. I have a hard time believing that much is needed for optimal muscle growth.
  11. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.96%

IMO, I have to disagree with the whole food is better thing. You have to take in more protien from whole food than shakes because the body has a harder time breakin down the whole food. I only eat 2 whole food meals a day(usually chicken and green veges) and some raw almonds but the rest of my calories come from shakes and EFAs and I have no problem gaining size. I am 6' 250.
  12. Registered User
    Stats
    6'1"  240 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.79%
    Achievements Activity ProPosting ProPosting Authority

Kinda the same deal here. I get between 500-550 grams of protein a day split up over 6-7 meals a day depending on my schedule. 3 whole food meals with 70 gram protein shakes in between each one, one before bed mixed with milk, and I haven't had any setbacks. 6'1" 260lbs.

I still get gains from 400-450 grams a day but when I bumped it up to 500ish, the gains came much easier and I have that "buff" feeling all day.
  13. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.43%

They discussed this on those audios someone posted a month or so ago. I believe they said there is no real hard evidence, just that it was the general concensus. Protein in general ****s me up something awful. Especially egg whites and powder mixes. Also, last I checked, nuts are not whole protein sources so really don't count.
  14. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.09%

i don't believe that protein from real food is better than protein from shakes.

imo, the thing about real food is all the OTHER stuff you get - micronutrients, fiber, phytochemicals, enzymes, antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, other substances (before creatine became a supplement, you still got it from red meat) etc.

there are SO many good things you get from real food BESIDES protein. imo, that is the primary benefit. while different proteins (beef, chicken, etc.) have different amino ratios, assuming one is using high quality proteins in shakes, and getting a variety of aminos, i doubt the body even "knows the difference".
  15. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.43%

Here's a good read on this. Searching for more.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/issa4.htm
  16. The Axe Man Cometh!!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.97%

that article states that there is no scientific proof supplements are better than real foods
    it doesnt say that there is proof that real foods are better

I think for conveinence and for, possibly, more precise caloric count shakes are a tremendous benefit. Most have added vitamins and minerals to the mix so they're not lacking in that department anymore, add some fiber and flax maybe some Hagaan Daz when bulking and its a quick, easy meal.
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.89%

Well, I have personally been getting 240 grams of protein from powders and have not seen I difference. Protein powders are the greatest innovation in bodybuilding because I would not have the time to cook all that meat, and I rarely get breaks at work, so I was forced to rely on powders and I can't complain about the results. BTW, big bump to All the Whey, their Vanilla rocks.
  18. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.47%

I guess Ronnie Coleman and all of his competition gained their mass by being on a liquid diet. If it works for you, more power to you, but what works for me is not relying on liquid, but solid foods. Personally, I drink one shake (55gms protein/ 5gms creatine/ 1/2 cup of ground oats/ water) after I workout, and one shake (55 grms protein in 16 oz. of skim milk) before bed. On non-workout days, I might drink one shake before bed, and no more than that.

Maybe it is all a myth, but the whole foods makes much more sence to me. I'll wait for my liquid diet when I'm forced to eat through a tube and wearing diapers.
  19. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.61%

Quote Originally Posted by Cuffs
    I guess Ronnie Coleman and all of his competition gained their mass by being on a liquid diet. If it works for you, more power to you, but what works for me is not relying on liquid, but solid foods. Personally, I drink one shake (55gms protein/ 5gms creatine/ 1/2 cup of ground oats/ water) after I workout, and one shake (55 grms protein in 16 oz. of skim milk) before bed. On non-workout days, I might drink one shake before bed, and no more than that.

Maybe it is all a myth, but the whole foods makes much more sence to me. I'll wait for my liquid diet when I'm forced to eat through a tube and wearing diapers.
    I feel it there for it is true huh? Are there no studies anywhere on this? Why do you think that having 2-3 shakes a day would be a liquid diet? When you are still getting 2-3 meals from whole food sources.
  20. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.47%

I never said 2-3 shakes would be a liquid diet. Like I pointed out, I drink two shakes a day on workout days, and maybe one shake on my off days. However, there are people here who rely on a powder form of protein for their protein intake. one of which said he takes in 240 grams of protein from powder. I would consider that a semi-liquid diet. One thing I will agree on is, if you can't eat a proper meal, and you need to get some source of protein into your system, then a shake is better than nothing.

I can only give you my opinion on this, as so can you. My sig speaks for itself.

If you want a better answer, ask some of the people who are considered experts in the area of nutrition, which I am far from. Scotty2 is pretty knowledgable. Iron Addict would probably be another good source to ask.

I don't know if there are any true studies on this or not. I to would like to see real documentation on the subject. On another note, I have never heard an expert in nutrition recommending one to rely on shakes for a mojority of their protein intake. One thing I do know is, I likes my food and don't wants ta replace it with liquid.
  21. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.43%

I'm with you Cuffs. 240g a day from shakes = approx six shakes a day. F that. Shakes are nothing but a convenience thing other than pwo and bedtime for me. It does nothing to curb my appetite and I did not feel the same at all when I've had to rely on shakes and MRP's. I do believe the article also said that if you can get the protein you need from meals then there is no real need to supplement. I would much rather take the time to prepare and eat a meal than sip down an unfulfilling shake. How's the saying go? "If you want to look like a bear, you've got to eat like a bear"
  22. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.61%

I agree about the 280g a day almost being a liquid diet also unless they are 300 pounds and getting the rest from whole foods (like that could happen). I like whole foods also, can anyone say pizza and nacho's yummy (why do the good whole foods have to be so bad for you). I would like to see some research on whole food sources, thats all. I do have to agree with one thing when dieting it's easier to keep track of cals a day using shakes and EFA's.
  23. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    33.14%

Smile Whatever works for U!

As is always stated on this board to each his own. I eat only 2 real meals a day and the rest is protein powder and weight gainer. But then again I am an oddity mass and strength come to me if I eat salad and gummy bears all day! Oh and the 500mg of Test Enanth weekly helps a lil' bit I'm sure. It's kind of like those who homebrew and those who don't there are benefits to both ways of doing it. The choice is personal.
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.89%

Quote Originally Posted by BingeAndPurge
    I'm with you Cuffs. 240g a day from shakes = approx six shakes a day. F that.
    I definitely would rather eat food, but I'm working 30-35 hours a week and am taking a full load this semester which doesn't leave me a lot of time for preparing food. I do eat oatmeal, cashews, beef jerkey, and natural peanut butter though. People at my job think I'm psycho cause I eat liquid protein with oatmeal.
  25. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Like I said, I would like to see proof that 400 grams or more of protein is needed for optimal growth.
  26. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    35.33%

Quote Originally Posted by sifu
    Like I said, I would like to see proof that 400 grams or more of protein is needed for optimal growth.

Bump on that.
  27. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Seriously, I don't take in over 200 a day and I never have, and it doesn't hinder me at all.
  28. I know nothing...
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    31.77%

Will Brink suggest to take only 1 gram of protein per 1lb of body weight and higher fat intake (40%) to max natural testasterone. And there is no diff. between whole food and shakes other than you burn more calories to digest whole food. If someone uses a lot of shakes make sure you get enough fiber(Psyllium Husk by NOW Foods what I use).

Personally, I try to get most of my cals from whole food, just cuz I starve to death if use shakes.
  29. Banned
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.15%
    Achievements Posting Pro

I can agree with that.
  30. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.04%

I like the idea of a liquid diet, throw a steak, mashed taters and gravy in the blender and frapee (lots of gravy). Beef is also my only source of extranious GH, can't grow without that.
  31. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.09%

there is no (or little) difference between whole foods and shakes in regards to the AMINOS ie the protein. aminos are aminos. however, there is a difference in regards to LOTS of other stuff.

that's the rub.

if a protein shake gives you x grams of arginine, y grams of glutamine, etc. your body doesn't know the difference than if you are getting your aminos from shakes, beef, eggs, whatever. it only knows that it got some aminos to work with.

however, there are a LOT of things (many still not discovered) in food that is not in shakes. there are SO many things, many of which have only relatively recently been discovered (and./or their importance having been discovered) e.g. creatine, lycopene, various other stuff, etc. that imo you are DEFINITELY shortchanging yourself if you don't eat some "real foods".

for example, one could eat shakes, psyllium husk, and take multivitamins and minerals, and some oils and get all the substrates. imo, this would be suboptimal though, because you would be missing out on TONS of stuff.

i agree with will about fats, btw. low fat diets have been shown conclusively to lower T levels.
  32. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    98.47%

Quote Originally Posted by azgymrat
    I like the idea of a liquid diet, throw a steak, mashed taters and gravy in the blender and frapee (lots of gravy). Beef is also my only source of extranious GH, can't grow without that.
    LOL...now that's my idea of a power shake!

Like sifu said, I would also like to see the proof (info) that 400 grams of protein is required for optimal growth. I am currently 207 lbs, and try to consume between 200-280 grams a day.

I have read that the different types of protein are digested at different rates. Thus the reason for consuming your whey shake (quick absorbing) within the hour after training, and casine (slower absorbing) prior to bed. Probably why I have always believed in getting the most from whole foods due to the longer break down and possibly better rate of absorption. Also, the hunger issue like others have brought up. I have also read, but can't remember where (probablyover at bb.com) that one should consume no more than 70 grams of protein in each meal. The belief was that anything over the 70 grams was basically a watse and washed out of the body through natural process.

Like drei said, it's a personal choice. Whatever seems to work, is what one should follow. Although, drei is a freakazoid! By experimenting on yourself, you are able to find what works best for you.
  33. The Axe Man Cometh!!
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    64.97%

Quote Originally Posted by azgymrat

Haven't you ever tried the tuna shake? Tuna, a little bit of milk, maybe some yogurt, throw it all in a blender and you got The Tuna Shake.

Props to all you guys who can eat all solid meals, I don't have the time nor the patience so thank you ProComplex.
  34. Advanced Member
    Stats
    6'3"  250 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    15.43%

Being a stay at home dad makes it a bit easier to plan and prepare meals. I guess that's a big advantage as far as meals are concerned.
  35. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    38.04%

Quote Originally Posted by ironviking
    Haven't you ever tried the tuna shake? Tuna, a little bit of milk, maybe some yogurt, throw it all in a blender and you got The Tuna Shake.

Props to all you guys who can eat all solid meals, I don't have the time nor the patience so thank you ProComplex.
    Done this, can of tuna and 12 oz of orange juice tossed around in a blender. A bit chunky for someone spoiled though.
  36. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    69.09%

tuna, v-8, and tabasco is actually pretty good. kind of a like a fishy v-8. if you can drink clamato, you can handle a tuna v-8
  37. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.22%

Seriously, I don't take in over 200 a day and I never have, and it doesn't hinder me at all.
    How Big are ya?
  38. Senior Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.56%

why has it yet to be said in this thread that the amount of protein a person intakes a day for growth depends on there size, as in bodyweight, and other variables. So maybe 400 is not needed for you and 240 would do the trick, but put ronnie coleman on 240 a day and he would disappear
  39. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    80.96%

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon
    why has it yet to be said in this thread that the amount of protein a person intakes a day for growth depends on there size, as in bodyweight, and other variables. So maybe 400 is not needed for you and 240 would do the trick, but put ronnie coleman on 240 a day and he would disappear
    That is not completely true, I read an interview with Chris Cormier and he said that he never takes in alot of protien. He said that he intakes only about 160gr aday. So I think protien requirements are base on individual requirements, just like workouts, some things work better for others.
    Just a thought
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  265 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.89%

Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon
    He wouldn't necesseraily disappear if he was taking in enough calories for growth since muscle growth is not exclusively dependent on how much protein you take in. I'm not trying to say you don't need protein, but saying someone will disappear on 240 grams of protein a day is misleading.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Triple play stack - who is getting in on this ish
    By VaughnTrue in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 04:28 PM
  2. Who gets acne on the juice, and who doesnt?
    By orangutan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 01:51 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 10:01 PM
  4. I want to hear who's keeping gains on M-1-T??
    By goes4ever in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 03:41 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 01:46 AM