Who's Getting 400+ on protien

Page 2 of 2 First 12

1. there is no (or little) difference between whole foods and shakes in regards to the AMINOS ie the protein. aminos are aminos. however, there is a difference in regards to LOTS of other stuff.

that's the rub.

if a protein shake gives you x grams of arginine, y grams of glutamine, etc. your body doesn't know the difference than if you are getting your aminos from shakes, beef, eggs, whatever. it only knows that it got some aminos to work with.

however, there are a LOT of things (many still not discovered) in food that is not in shakes. there are SO many things, many of which have only relatively recently been discovered (and./or their importance having been discovered) e.g. creatine, lycopene, various other stuff, etc. that imo you are DEFINITELY shortchanging yourself if you don't eat some "real foods".

for example, one could eat shakes, psyllium husk, and take multivitamins and minerals, and some oils and get all the substrates. imo, this would be suboptimal though, because you would be missing out on TONS of stuff.

i agree with will about fats, btw. low fat diets have been shown conclusively to lower T levels.

2. Quote Originally Posted by azgymrat
    I like the idea of a liquid diet, throw a steak, mashed taters and gravy in the blender and frapee (lots of gravy). Beef is also my only source of extranious GH, can't grow without that.
    LOL...now that's my idea of a power shake!

Like sifu said, I would also like to see the proof (info) that 400 grams of protein is required for optimal growth. I am currently 207 lbs, and try to consume between 200-280 grams a day.

I have read that the different types of protein are digested at different rates. Thus the reason for consuming your whey shake (quick absorbing) within the hour after training, and casine (slower absorbing) prior to bed. Probably why I have always believed in getting the most from whole foods due to the longer break down and possibly better rate of absorption. Also, the hunger issue like others have brought up. I have also read, but can't remember where (probablyover at bb.com) that one should consume no more than 70 grams of protein in each meal. The belief was that anything over the 70 grams was basically a watse and washed out of the body through natural process.

Like drei said, it's a personal choice. Whatever seems to work, is what one should follow. Although, drei is a freakazoid! By experimenting on yourself, you are able to find what works best for you.
    •   

3. Quote Originally Posted by azgymrat
    I like the idea of a liquid diet, throw a steak, mashed taters and gravy in the blender and frapee (lots of gravy). Beef is also my only source of extranious GH, can't grow without that.

Haven't you ever tried the tuna shake? Tuna, a little bit of milk, maybe some yogurt, throw it all in a blender and you got The Tuna Shake.

Props to all you guys who can eat all solid meals, I don't have the time nor the patience so thank you ProComplex.

4. Being a stay at home dad makes it a bit easier to plan and prepare meals. I guess that's a big advantage as far as meals are concerned.

5. Quote Originally Posted by ironviking
    Haven't you ever tried the tuna shake? Tuna, a little bit of milk, maybe some yogurt, throw it all in a blender and you got The Tuna Shake.

Props to all you guys who can eat all solid meals, I don't have the time nor the patience so thank you ProComplex.
    Done this, can of tuna and 12 oz of orange juice tossed around in a blender. A bit chunky for someone spoiled though.
    •   

6. tuna, v-8, and tabasco is actually pretty good. kind of a like a fishy v-8. if you can drink clamato, you can handle a tuna v-8

7. Quote Originally Posted by sifu
    Seriously, I don't take in over 200 a day and I never have, and it doesn't hinder me at all.
    How Big are ya?

8. Quote Originally Posted by sifu
    Like I said, I would like to see proof that 400 grams or more of protein is needed for optimal growth.

why has it yet to be said in this thread that the amount of protein a person intakes a day for growth depends on there size, as in bodyweight, and other variables. So maybe 400 is not needed for you and 240 would do the trick, but put ronnie coleman on 240 a day and he would disappear

9. Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon
    why has it yet to be said in this thread that the amount of protein a person intakes a day for growth depends on there size, as in bodyweight, and other variables. So maybe 400 is not needed for you and 240 would do the trick, but put ronnie coleman on 240 a day and he would disappear
    That is not completely true, I read an interview with Chris Cormier and he said that he never takes in alot of protien. He said that he intakes only about 160gr aday. So I think protien requirements are base on individual requirements, just like workouts, some things work better for others.
    Just a thought

10. Quote Originally Posted by MakaveliThaDon
    He wouldn't necesseraily disappear if he was taking in enough calories for growth since muscle growth is not exclusively dependent on how much protein you take in. I'm not trying to say you don't need protein, but saying someone will disappear on 240 grams of protein a day is misleading.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Tatt2d
    That is not completely true, I read an interview with Chris Cormier and he said that he never takes in alot of protien. He said that he intakes only about 160gr aday. So I think protien requirements are base on individual requirements, just like workouts, some things work better for others.
    Just a thought
    It Is All Nitro Tech Right??lol.

12. I heard a rumor that he sleeps with an IV in his arms to keep his calorie intake going while he's asleep.

13. Quote Originally Posted by sifu
    Like I said, I would like to see proof that 400 grams or more of protein is needed for optimal growth.
    Well if I eat less than 350g's of protein I don't grow for ****. When I increase my protein I start putting on weight and strength. Thats all the proof I need. I'm sure it is diffrent for everybody and that all don't need 400g's of protein every day. I will say I also have a very high metabolism and have to consume massive amounts of calories anyways.

14. Eat 5 smalls meals a day and def eat breakfast. i get 400+ a day from eating 4 whole eggs(25g's right there) 3-4 bowls of cottage cheese, 3-4 bowls of yogurt, 3 pro complex shakes(55g's per) and numerous other hi-protein meals

15. Actually, Chris has stated that he eats around 500+ grams a day when he is training seriously.

16. Keep in mind that when you're on Androgens, you can benefit from more protein since you have an increase in protein synthesis. I have personally been doing good with the 1 gram per lb. standard and haven't noticed a difference from an extra 100 grams of protein when the calories remain the same.

17. Quote Originally Posted by wildman536
    How Big are ya?

190-215 depends on if I am in contest season.

18. Done this, can of tuna and 12 oz of orange juice tossed around in a blender. A bit chunky for someone spoiled though.
    Just thinking of that makes me want to vomit

Personally I go through 5 lbs of optimum chocolate whey a week and I am growing like a weed. I mix 4 coffee cups full with 1 1/2cup of honey powder and 10 grams creatine, and 1/2 cup of husks (to prevent mud butt ) into a big jug every morning and pound it every 3 hrs.

I also eat regular food (as clean as I can) but I work like a slave and this guarantees I get at least a good base of fuel throughout the day. My GF says I eat like a robot, same thing every day. Works for me.

I take my vitamins and minerals also.

19. During my m1t cycle which I am 2 weeks into I have upped my protein to 550+ a day and am seeing unreal results. I wake up and have a shake with 80 grams of protein then I have another shake before workout with 100 grams ( because of milk ) then a post workout shake with 80 and 1 before bed with 100....I have changed my opinion on getting most of your protein from shakes because I am seeing great results.

20. never had a tuna shake.....dont want to either

I was getting between 400-500 protein a day at 4600 calories per day on my last natural bulk ending the bulk at a BW of 223, I am cutting now and get around 300+ grams at 3000 calories.

my next bulk I will be doing transdermals so I might need more after reading this thread......good stuff.

21. Quote Originally Posted by Rebel
    During my m1t cycle which I am 2 weeks into I have upped my protein to 550+ a day and am seeing unreal results. I wake up and have a shake with 80 grams of protein then I have another shake before workout with 100 grams ( because of milk ) then a post workout shake with 80 and 1 before bed with 100....I have changed my opinion on getting most of your protein from shakes because I am seeing great results.

how long have you done this to change your opinion, I usually eat a ton of cottage cheese before bed to get some protein before sleeping.

a shake before bed would be quicker and I sometimes get tired of eating on a clean bulk.

22. dont forget with whey it converts at roughly 56% to glucose.

23. if you do rely on powders to that extent that its not PWO, then try some egg protein. full proteins 100% usable protein
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Triple play stack - who is getting in on this ish
    By VaughnTrue in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-17-2012, 03:28 PM
  2. Who gets acne on the juice, and who doesnt?
    By orangutan in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 05-10-2009, 12:51 PM
  3. Replies: 16
    Last Post: 06-11-2008, 09:01 PM
  4. I want to hear who's keeping gains on M-1-T??
    By goes4ever in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-21-2003, 02:41 AM
  5. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-08-2003, 12:46 AM