?s for those that have tried keto or palumbo diet...

Liftingstud

Awards
  • Established
Are these type of diet just for cutting or can the be used to actually add muscle mass? I find it very interesting and have done some reading but want peoples opinions that have actually used the diet.

sonicwaste

Awards
In my opinion, the diets would have to be modified for lean bulking. You'd want x amount of days at reduced carbs, y amount of days at increased carbs, z amount of days at some mid point.

ItsHectic

Awards
  • Established
I tried keto once, my strength dropped heaps, and I didnt really like it, even just dropping carbs a bit I lose strength so I dont think I would ever try bulk on any modified low carb diet, but some people here love it, so to each there own.

Liftingstud

Awards
  • Established
thanks for the info guys. just see lots of people that love keto type diets. The one thing I am fearful of is strength dropping off and losing my hard gained mass. I am just looking into for a spring into summer get super ripped diet. I am naturally pretty lean but looking to get that shredded look and figured this might be the way to go.

might actually add in some aas to help keep the strength and mass while going keto.

anyone else have insight here? esp those people that LOVE keto diets

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
I was advised by a friend to try Keto who claims he had great success with it dropping his bodyfat % for his competition. Last time I asked he said he's been on it since forever and is making strength gains... slow, but he's making them, and keeping lean if not still dropping fat.

Me... well I tried it for about 3 weeks... the variety of food was annoying but hey you can get used to it (and at least carb cravings actually do go away)... energy wise you feel fine throughout the day etc but once you're depleted of any glycogen (going off memory here... thats your stored energy source?)... can forget about having any sort of intense / explosive strength. Once you're in ketosis you're using fat for energy and its a slow type of "energy release"... my lifts suffered A LOT in the first 3 weeks... I think I dropped roughly 10% of my strength in the first fortnight... my water bloat etc went away after 2-3days but I dont think I was on it long enough to see any further "fat loss"... but I'm sure it would've come.

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
The anabolic diet, similiar to palumbos, worked great for me...but you have to east tons of food, your maintenance calories are 18 x bodyweight, to bulk you go up to over 20 x bodyweight, 60-65% fat, 30-35% pro, 5% carbs...this is not a cutting diet and you don't really go into ketosis

I gained about 8lbs in 6 weeks with NO visable fat gain

Coming out of a cut it was a fantastic way to gain lean mass, but I stopped because I couldn't eat that much anymore

PM me if you want the PDF on the diet

tops2heavy

tops2heavy

Awards
from what i have read most information advises keto dieting to be used for cutting..

palumbo uses a moderate ratio of carbs for his clients during their offseason diets and recommends using carbs if you are looking for growth

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
from what i have read most information advises keto dieting to be used for cutting..

palumbo uses a moderate ratio of carbs for his clients during their offseason diets and recommends using carbs if you are looking for growth
The idea from the anabolic diet is to introduce a lot of cholesterol and saturated fats, which raise testosterone levels, I have to say that my gains where limited to consumption, everyone who I know that have done the diet have made nice gains

tops2heavy

tops2heavy

Awards
The idea from the anabolic diet is to introduce a lot of cholesterol and saturated fats, which raise testosterone levels, I have to say that my gains where limited to consumption, everyone who I know that have done the diet have made nice gains
Yeah but I wasnt talking about the Anabolic diet. I'm sure it is a good diet, and very similar to palumbos, but I wasnt talking about it because I have never used it.

The original question was about the palumbo/keto diet and I am commenting on what palumbo has stated a million times. He doesnt advise bulking with his diet; he uses moderate amounts of carbs when bulking his clients.

This is just what he has said.. and I am restating it.

rara

Awards
Keto diets offer the fastest fatloss in most people pound for pound because a gram of fat is yeilding less than 9 calories of energy per gram when it is being fractioned off to a ketone = accelerated fat loss.( calorie intake vs. caloric expenditure being equal.)
It will work better for people with poorer insulin sensitivity.
It will quickly lower body temp = lower metabolic rate = less calories burned thru thermogenesis (all fat )
Dan duchaine came up with a diet called bodyopus where u cycle carb ups in between the ketosis. I have had great success with it and because of the glycogen supercompensation following a week of ketosis, I did gain a little mass while ripping down quickly. It is extremely demanding, but if you are willing, I think you will be pleased with the magic that happens on this diet.
the book bodyopus gives u all the info.
Lyle mcdonald took it a step further I forget the name but I never tried it so cant comment on it but u may want to look into that as well.