Pre-morning Cardio/WO meal ... Advice?

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
So here's the deal ...

I need advice on some low carb/high protein meals/supps which might hold a specific benefit for morning cardio and/or WO sessions - opposed to training on an empty stomach. The goal is to get suggestions on meals/supps that show promise in regard to preventing muscle loss during my 1hr & 1/2 to 2hr sessions.

As of now, I'm doing cardio and sometimes even working out on an empty stomach first thing in the morning. I'll have 4gs BCAAs (before, during, and after my WOs), Fish oil, and some green tea fat burner crap I had laying around with a cup of 1% milk, and 1 scoop (22gs) protein.

As mentioned, I am looking for low carb options. I am eating carbs throughout the day, but mostly Low GI carbs (veggies and grains). I cut out all carbs after 3pm-4pm. My goal is to lean out - obviously. IMO, I've got a good 15lbs to go. Abs are coming through, but definition is lacking.

Any suggestions,
Sprt

jumpshot903

jumpshot903

Awards
  • Established
Im kind of confused are you looking for a meal to eat before cardio cause doesnt that kind of put fasted cardio out the door? Im not an expert on the topic by any means and i'll let someone more informed tell you for sure. But since you are doing extensive sessions of 1-2 hours i hear ya worrying about getting a meal in before.

Bionic

Bionic

Awards
  • Established
Those super long cardio sessions are causing more muscle loss than short fasted cardio sessions. Look into HIIT, specifically Tabata training and Guerilla Cardio. (I think they're the same thing but not sure.) That'll do the trick for sure.
Also, if you eat prior to training, you'll be using that as your energy. You want to do it fasted so as to burn your stored fat.

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
Just have a good quality protein shake 20 minutes before and you'll be fine. And yeah, intervals are the best cardio to burn fat and preserve muscle. One minute sprint, one minute jog, one minute sprint, one minute jog, etc.

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
I've been reading mixed reviews about early morning cardio on an empty stomach verses non-fasted morning cardio. So I thought I'd get opinions. Good advice though ...

I've always relied on fasted cardio sessions in the past with good results, but of course LBM loss wasn't an issue for me then - I was "ON" during most of that time. I'm currently back in the gym after a long layoff and going at it natty. So my main concern is definitely the durations of these sessions and the activity level on an empty stomach. LBM loss, of course, is not my goal.

Finding time to hit the gym other than mornings is proving to be difficult for me; which is the reason for my question. As mentioned, I have to fit in both my cardio and WOs during the same session a few times a week. A pain, yes, but I have to do what I have to do for now. Maybe I'll start my cardio on an empty stomach, and drink a shake before I start my WOs.

Thanks,
Sprt

danieltx13

Awards
  • Established
If you're going to do both in the same session then do your cardio after weights. You'll burn more fat that way.

SOUTHCAR27

SOUTHCAR27

Awards
The HIIT sugestion is right on point, I would defintely reccomend it. It worked wonders for me.

FYI777

Awards
Doing cardio and/or WO on empty stomach can be TORTURE, you just have get used to it. Some days I'm fine, others I feel like passing out, but be persistant and relentless.

SprtNvolcoM

SprtNvolcoM

On a Mission!
Awards
  • Established
Doing cardio and/or WO on empty stomach can be TORTURE, you just have get used to it. Some days I'm fine, others I feel like passing out, but be persistant and relentless.
I don't mind it so much ... I actually like it. Relentless is my middle name (for now). It can be a pain in the ass at times though ... none of my friends will workout with me.

What do you guys think about wearing a rubber suit during both these activities? Mines made of latex ... I never leave home without it. Nothing better than a good sweat! I'm just waiting for the day I overwork myself, over heat, or pass out from exhaustion. Until then ...

Sprt

youngandfree

Awards
  • Established
I don't mind it so much ... I actually like it. Relentless is my middle name (for now). It can be a pain in the ass at times though ... none of my friends will workout with me.

What do you guys think about wearing a rubber suit during both these activities? Mines made of latex ... I never leave home without it. Nothing better than a good sweat! I'm just waiting for the day I overwork myself, over heat, or pass out from exhaustion. Until then ...

Sprt
Rubber suit is dumb and unnecessary unless you are cutting weight for a specific event. If that's not the case then leave it at home.