Carbohydrate Cycling Diet vs ketogenic diet?? - AnabolicMinds.com

Carbohydrate Cycling Diet vs ketogenic diet??

  1. New Member
    anbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    410

    Reputation

    Carbohydrate Cycling Diet vs ketogenic diet??


    Which one gives more best results?

  2. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    what does "more best results" mean to you?
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  3. New Member
    anbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    410

    Reputation

    I mean: that really works, at least, most of the time! Faster, good after diet...
    F. ex.: I see that KD really works well, but it is a bad period that U take in ur life! On the other hand, this carbo cycle could be softer, but is it that good as kd? Is it better, at all?
    Tks
    •   
       

  4. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    maybe you are missing my point. every diet type and structure has different pluses and minuses. If one was better in all ways than every other diet structure then nobody would use anything else.

    Whenever you eat a small amount (250-750) less calories a day than you take in, you will lose weight and fat. So all diets when applied correctly really work.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  5. New Member
    anbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    410

    Reputation

    right, but let's compare another way.
    which is more efficas? real 1-ad or new 1-ad?
    No doubts: real 1-ad, because of many thing!!
    That's the point: I know both are good ones, both works (like both "1-ad" versions!!) but which one of these diets type is better?
  6. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Your analogies are ridiclous. Both diet are good, better or best with variables that go far beyond your analogies.
  7. Registered User
    ItsHectic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    1,603
    Rep Power
    4373

    Reputation

    If you mean CKD vs just Keto, then CKD is better if you are active, keto is more suited to couch potatoes.
  8. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    there is relatively limited data showing a CKD or TKD or any sort of ketogenic diet is significantly better at losing fat + maintaining lean mass than a standard reduced calorie diet that includes carbs. The fact that tons of bodybuilders do it doesn't mean it works better. For a lot I think its just that it helps with hunger, and doing either carb cycling or a CKD with large carbup helps make it easier mentally to deal with carb cravings as you just have to put it off till next high carb day and know that you can go ahead and have the pancakes and syrup that day
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  9. New Member
    anbes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    248
    Rep Power
    410

    Reputation

    I've asked because filosofic I believe that carb cycling is more healthy and easy to mantain gains or loses. I always put gilt of fat. Its 9kcal per gram! without any lost inside the body. But macdonalds book made some good points in keto diet eith logical arguments.
    I choose carb cycling, then I say U how it is!
    tks

    PS. I am not talking about CKD, I am talking about the diet based on carbs pump up, with some restriction some days, but with limited fat too! The limitation in fat played the rule for me!
    Carb and protein got 4kcal per gram, but it takes about 40% to me metabolized, even if it is for instant usage! so at true, carb and protein have something about 2,5kcal per gram!!!
  10. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,839
    Rep Power
    2105227

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    explain the carb cycling diet you speak of more in dept please...
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  11. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    its a common diet, vary calories and carbs through the week with high days (over 200g/day) and low days (under 50g/day). nothing magical, sometimes gives you a little better endurance in the gym since you can stagger higher carb days around longer workouts.
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  12. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by anbes View Post
    I've asked because filosofic I believe that carb cycling is more healthy and easy to mantain gains or loses. I always put gilt of fat. Its 9kcal per gram! without any lost inside the body. But macdonalds book made some good points in keto diet eith logical arguments.
    I choose carb cycling, then I say U how it is!
    tks

    PS. I am not talking about CKD, I am talking about the diet based on carbs pump up, with some restriction some days, but with limited fat too! The limitation in fat played the rule for me!
    Carb and protein got 4kcal per gram, but it takes about 40% to me metabolized, even if it is for instant usage! so at true, carb and protein have something about 2,5kcal per gram!!!
    Is English your first language? Serious question.
  13. Professional Member
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,545
    Rep Power
    148209

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by anbes View Post
    I
    F. ex.: I see that KD really works well, but it is a bad period that U take in ur life! On the other hand, this carbo cycle could be softer, but is it that good as kd? Is it better, at all?
    Tks
    I think everyone else covered most of this for you, but I just wanted to add that a CKD is no easier than a KD... if this is what you mean... In fact, the carb up days do not make the diet more sane or more manageable. The carb-up days leave you feeling like a zombie that's ready to burst. Bloat, lethargy, and more lethargy lol
  14. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I would agree with the above regarding the carb comma. But I usually do my refeeds after several days of depleted cardio and the day before the beginning of my workout split. The restored glycogen returns energy, restokes leptin and elevates the mood back to reasonable again.
  15. AX Product Specialist
    Bnatural's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,264
    Rep Power
    576685

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    carb cycling of some sort is more of a lifestyle diet imo and works very well.

    ckd is a shock diet and works for short periods of time, again imo.

    ive done both and prefer carb cycling over a ckd.

    ckd seems to work for those looking to lose large amounts of bf, whereas with a carb cyclic diet ppl seem to do better when they are looking to firm up a little more. with a ckd you are likely to lose more muscle mass if you dont do it correctly and its a very scientific type of diet that requires extensive knowledge of how the diet works and how you respond to macro manipulation.

    what up easy?
    Athletic Xtreme Marketing Manager
    Athletic Xtreme at The Planet!
    Email Inquiries: Brandon@AthleticX.net
  16. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,839
    Rep Power
    2105227

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Would carb cycling be like the scivation cut diet plan where you carb load every 3rd day and the rest of the days its all chicken, almonds, and green beans
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  17. Never enough
    Board Moderator
    EasyEJL's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    46
    Posts
    31,830
    Rep Power
    768794

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    no carb cycling is when you have low carb days and high carb days. you never really have no carb days. So for instance it might be 75g carbs monday, 150 tuesday and 200 wed.

    hows it going B? I need to email for a sample of rag ultra
    This space for rent

    Phenadrol Log http://anabolicminds.com/forum/suppl...-hell-did.html - AMAZING fat loss results so far
  18. AX Product Specialist
    Bnatural's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,264
    Rep Power
    576685

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    carb cycling depends on how you refer to it. some consider carb cycling highs n lows, others consider the cut diet carb cycling.

    yes go to the millennium site
    Athletic Xtreme Marketing Manager
    Athletic Xtreme at The Planet!
    Email Inquiries: Brandon@AthleticX.net
  19. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,839
    Rep Power
    2105227

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by EasyEJL View Post
    no carb cycling is when you have low carb days and high carb days. you never really have no carb days. So for instance it might be 75g carbs monday, 150 tuesday and 200 wed.

    hows it going B? I need to email for a sample of rag ultra
    the cut diet isnt low carb. You eat lean meat, good mat, and veggies almost every meal. It is on the third day for your last meal it is a carb refeed where you eat a bunch of carbs.

    They have it laid out very specific as to what foods to eat and what not too...

    I was just wondering if this was like carb cycling or are they 2 different things
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  20. New Member
    danieltx13's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Age
    27
    Posts
    390
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    If you just want to lose weight period then go with the ketogenic, if you want to lose some weight while retaining muscle mass go for some sort of carb cycling.
  21. Senior Member
    Bionic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Rep Power
    985

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by danieltx13 View Post
    If you just want to lose weight period then go with the ketogenic, if you want to lose some weight while retaining muscle mass go for some sort of carb cycling.
    What does eating carbs have to do with maintaining muscle? Carbs are an energy source. Muscles are built and maintained with protein.
  22. Professional Member
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,545
    Rep Power
    148209

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    As a requirement for instense activity - muscle needs glucose, and if you are in ketosis and have no glycogen, (aka not carb loading), then your body will break down muscle faster during excercise just to fuel the energy needed, and your sessions will be less intense as well. This is why a CKD is more beneficial for active people. I think in a strictly ketogenic diet, muscle will not be maintained as well due to loss of strength and intensity in the gym, and gym sessions will become too catabolic.
  23. ax1
    ax1 is offline
    Elite Member
    ax1's Avatar
    Stats
    4'6"  170 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    5,382
    Rep Power
    1092780

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Gutterpump View Post
    As a requirement for instense activity - muscle needs glucose, and if you are in ketosis and have no glycogen, (aka not carb loading), then your body will break down muscle faster during excercise just to fuel the energy needed, and your sessions will be less intense as well. This is why a CKD is more beneficial for active people. I think in a strictly ketogenic diet, muscle will not be maintained as well due to loss of strength and intensity in the gym, and gym sessions will become too catabolic.
    i do year round strict low carbs, 40 grams a day at most and have plenty of energy. you will be fine and you can make muscle gains no problem if you eat enough protein and quality fats.

    just make sure your nutrition is up, you ketones will use your fat as your energy source which is much more stable long term than crappy glycogen. your body creates glycogen is some way anyways but im not qualified to speak about that plenty of info on the net.
    나는 2000년 10월 매들린 올브라이트 전 미 국무장관 매들린 사랑, 그 중 한 뜨거운 젠장!
  24. Senior Member
    Bionic's Avatar
    Stats
    6'5"  227 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,685
    Rep Power
    985

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ax1 View Post
    i do year round strict low carbs, 40 grams a day at most and have plenty of energy. you will be fine and you can make muscle gains no problem if you eat enough protein and quality fats.

    just make sure your nutrition is up, you ketones will use your fat as your energy source which is much more stable long term than crappy glycogen. your body creates glycogen is some way anyways but im not qualified to speak about that plenty of info on the net.
    ^^^^Good Post!^^^^

    GP, Are you speaking from opinion? Not trying to be disrespectful. I'm just wondering if you have any studies to back up your point? The reason why I'm asking is that I tend to be more athletic and have more energy while in ketosis than when in glucosis. Maybe I'm a freak but I feel GREAT when carbs are restricted. But this is only my experience. If you're taking in adequate protein not only will you not lose any muscle, you will gain.
  25. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,839
    Rep Power
    2105227

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    I do the anabolic diet and have grown to hate carb days. Especially if I have to work that weekend I feel like crap and am yawning all dag long. It amazes me how my body gets used to using fat as energy and when I eat carbs it has such a strong Downer effect
  26. Professional Member
    Gutterpump's Avatar
    Stats
    6'2"  225 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,545
    Rep Power
    148209

    Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Bionic View Post
    ^^^^Good Post!^^^^

    GP, Are you speaking from opinion? Not trying to be disrespectful. I'm just wondering if you have any studies to back up your point? The reason why I'm asking is that I tend to be more athletic and have more energy while in ketosis than when in glucosis. Maybe I'm a freak but I feel GREAT when carbs are restricted. But this is only my experience. If you're taking in adequate protein not only will you not lose any muscle, you will gain.

    Little bit from experience but mostly from reading on here and other places.

    I also feel great when carbs are restricted. But honestly is this good for your leptin if you do this year round without any carb ups? I am not too concerned with the effect on metabolism while remaining in a low carb diet, since I am taking T3/T4 always (HRT). But for the normal person, I have read studies about leptin, metabolism, neurotransmitters, and also effects on intense excercise.

    Energy itself is fine while on a restricted carb diet, but muscle endurance will definitely suffer. This I have noticed personally, and many many others as well. Muscle will not use fat during intense excercise...your body will still go through gluconeogenesis during intense activity. It will only burn fat during more steady state training. So muscle breakdown will occur to supply the necessary energy during intense training.

    I guess it all depends on how you train. I know that I can't train very well in a depleted state, if I am doing my regular full body circuit. Endurance is really hit hard.

    My muscle also feels 'flat' on a restricted carb diet, but for many days after a carb up, I feel like my skin is going to burst (in a good way)...awesome pumps, but I also heavily use YG + NA-RALA during carb ups.

    I'm trying to alter my diet to be lower carb in the long term though. I feel so much better overall. I have read that glutathione is really increased heavily while on a low carb diet (in ketosis) and this really helps boost liver function and overall detoxification.
  27. Advanced Member
    ThomasRivera's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  217 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Posts
    814
    Rep Power
    482

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by JudoJosh View Post
    I do the anabolic diet and have grown to hate carb days. Especially if I have to work that weekend I feel like crap and am yawning all dag long. It amazes me how my body gets used to using fat as energy and when I eat carbs it has such a strong Downer effect
    I agree. But you gotta love the carb up effects afterwards.
  28. Pro Virili Parte
    JudoJosh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    8,839
    Rep Power
    2105227

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasRivera View Post
    I agree. But you gotta love the carb up effects afterwards.
    thomas waddup man? havent seen you on the boards in a while.
    "The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance." - Socrates
  29. Banned
    crazyfool405's Avatar
    Stats
    5'10"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    7,431
    Rep Power
    0

    Reputation

    Keto diets hands down. Ketones preservw lean body mass

    And the carb cycling you have a switch in metabolism which burns more aminos then ketogenic diets

    On top of that. As a natural. Cut on maintence calories in protein and fat. The workouts and cardio will put u in negative energy balance. This is good.

    I would like to see a decrease of 100 calories- 200 calories max per day to ensure preserving lean muscle mass.
  30. Professional Member
    TheDarkHalf's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  198 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Age
    29
    Posts
    4,398
    Rep Power
    10714

    Reputation

    Any diet will work if you stick to what you outline for yourself. At the end of the day, it's a numbers game. Calories in - Calories out. I have done both diets with success. But I did see my best results with carb cycling. i just think that's because that worked better for me and my body responded to that better than CKD.
  31. Advanced Member
    faceman35's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"  205 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    680
    Rep Power
    411

    Reputation

    I like carb cycling. It keeps me from ever hitting a plateau. Although I do have to really plan out my meals or I will not stick to it. And the no carb days do suck as I feel like doing nothing all day.
    My carb days usually go like this
    High carb days = Above 200g of carbs a day
    Low carb days = 150g of carbs a day
    No carb days = 25g of carbs or less

    Sometimes I will mess up my no carb days and have to bridge two low carb days in a row. Also the first time I ever did carb cycling I was keeping EVERY days calorie count under my 500 below maintainance. So my weekly total of calories was too deficit and I loss a good amount of muscle mass. So lesson learned. Use your high carb days almost as a re feed day. Dont worry about the # of calories intaked. But dont stuff yourself either. Let that day be the balance for the days in which you wont eat much at all. Now that I have that down I am able to preserve a significant amount more of my muscle mass
  32. PESCIENCE.com
    nattydisaster's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  0 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    10,154
    Rep Power
    3183268

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Personally, carb cycling works way better for me than keto
    Amino-IV - Not Your Average Amino
    SELECT Protein
    - Ultra-Premium Blend
    ALPHAMINE - Thermogenics...Redefined
  33. AX Product Specialist
    Bnatural's Avatar
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Age
    30
    Posts
    2,264
    Rep Power
    576685

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by nattydisaster View Post
    Personally, carb cycling works way better for me than keto
    the same goes for me, and I have tried both
    Athletic Xtreme Marketing Manager
    Athletic Xtreme at The Planet!
    Email Inquiries: Brandon@AthleticX.net
  34. New Member
    discerniblevi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    26

    Reputation

    Best cutting / diet method - ketosis, TKD, carb cycle


    Some thoughts.. There is so much discussion about different diet approaches to loosing body fat. I have not settled on one yet, although, I am trying the "Targeted Keto Diet" now.

    So here are some of the pieces I understand to loosing body fat.
    1) Glucagon is the hormone produced by the pancreas that tells the body to utilize body fat to be metabolized for energy.
    2) Glucagon is activated in times of low blood sugar / glucose ... opposite to Insulin.

    So as I understand it.. the rate and degree to which one can loose body fat depends on when the glucagon hormone is active which is directly proportional to the frequency and duration of keeping blood sugar (glucose low).

    The type of food, the amount of food, and the frequency of eating will all influence the above. Additionally, the total calories the body burns (bmr, activity level, etc) and hence the glucose draw from the blood stream and liver (not including glycogen in the muscles).

    So I think any of the diets can accomplish this, its then a question of which one will produce the greatest rate of fat loss (and prevent muscle loss which I'll mention next). I believe (only opinion on my part right now) the the order of the diets from those that will cause slow fat loss to those that will provide rapid fat loss are:
    1) regular diet which simply lowers carbs a small amount to effect a 500 calorie per day deficit.
    2) carb cycling which greatly reduces carbs to bringing them back up to a full load usually cycled over 3 to 4 days.
    3) targeted keto diet. standar keto diet, but add carbs targeted just before workout with the aim that they support workout intensity and are burned off as a function of the workout. During times of no carb, low blood sugar activates glucagon to casue fat burn through keto.
    4) cyclic keto diet. loads carbs to a person specific level to fill muscle glycogen ie. on a Fri eve and Sat., then allows for a specific workout routine which will draw down no more than the carbs loaded. i.e. M, T weights; W, TH low intensity cardio, F weights or circuit workout. The abscence of carb intake after saturday and to Fri eve keep blood sugar low during the week activating glucagon to cause fat burn through keto.
    5) standard keto. no carb loads or targets..

    So which one prevents muscle loss or could cause more muscle loss..

    Here is how I understand we loose muscle:
    1) over training in the gym: overtraining occurs when the glycogen in the muscle is depleted, there is no glucose in the bloodstream to draw on and the liver has provided what it stored to the bloodstream already. What prevents overtraining? Eating strategically, and not working out so long on a given muscle group in terms of sets, reps, and rest period. Muscle groups can not share their store of glycogen with another muscle.
    2) we have voluntary and involuntary muscles: in the abscence of carbs and fat consumed calories, the body will then seek protein first in the blood (as in the protein you drink) the it resorts to protein in the liver, muscles, then other organs ... (called gluconeogenesis) in that priority. if there is no mechanical activity required of the voluntary muscles (ie the couch potatoe) then there is no energy consumption. But our involuntary muscles are still consuming energy for vital life support. Your brain consumes 20% of your calories!

    So how do you prevent muscle loss.. dont let your bodily energy requirements deplete you carb and fat calories which includes the glycogen in the muscles, glucose in the blood stream, and glycogen in the liver... and of course provide the protein/amino acids for muscle rebuilding if we are considering that.

    So now, how do you activate fat burning (activating glucagon, by low glucose level in the blood stream) while at the same time have the calories for the muscles? I think from the above, you can figure the answer.

    My fear with diets that just lower the carbs to create a calorie deficit is that there is not enough to fully activate the glucagon (pancreas) to draw on fat for energy, yet the muscle may be running on a glycogen and glucose deficit (as well as liver glycogen) and have to resort to gluconeogenesis (protein break down).

    Thats why Im more receptive to the keto diet. It is producing ketones to supply energy/glucose etc. Obviously not enough ketones if one is still doing intense workouts.. But that is where the cyclic and targeted ketosis diets come in where they ensure the carbs are in place to support the workout and prevent muscle loss. In the case of the cyclic, the workout energy draw has to match the carb load from the weekend. In the case of the targeted keto, the carb load is specific to the exercise sets and is taken just before the workout.

    Im not convinced which diet, the cyclic keto or the targeted keto, will have the most rapid fat loss. I have a feeling the cyclic, but it takes a little more coordination. I believe both will prevent muscle loss better than a diet that just reduces carbs for a calorie deficit.

    So.. just my opinion based on my current knowledge.
    I'd appreciate informed comments as Im still trying to develop a thorough understanding of this myself.
  35. Advanced Member
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48008

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by discerniblevi View Post
    Some thoughts.. There is so much discussion about different diet approaches to loosing body fat. I have not settled on one yet, although, I am trying the "Targeted Keto Diet" now.

    So here are some of the pieces I understand to loosing body fat.
    1) Glucagon is the hormone produced by the pancreas that tells the body to utilize body fat to be metabolized for energy.
    2) Glucagon is activated in times of low blood sugar / glucose ... opposite to Insulin.

    So as I understand it.. the rate and degree to which one can loose body fat depends on when the glucagon hormone is active which is directly proportional to the frequency and duration of keeping blood sugar (glucose low).

    The type of food, the amount of food, and the frequency of eating will all influence the above. Additionally, the total calories the body burns (bmr, activity level, etc) and hence the glucose draw from the blood stream and liver (not including glycogen in the muscles).

    So I think any of the diets can accomplish this, its then a question of which one will produce the greatest rate of fat loss (and prevent muscle loss which I'll mention next). I believe (only opinion on my part right now) the the order of the diets from those that will cause slow fat loss to those that will provide rapid fat loss are:
    1) regular diet which simply lowers carbs a small amount to effect a 500 calorie per day deficit.
    2) carb cycling which greatly reduces carbs to bringing them back up to a full load usually cycled over 3 to 4 days.
    3) targeted keto diet. standar keto diet, but add carbs targeted just before workout with the aim that they support workout intensity and are burned off as a function of the workout. During times of no carb, low blood sugar activates glucagon to casue fat burn through keto.
    4) cyclic keto diet. loads carbs to a person specific level to fill muscle glycogen ie. on a Fri eve and Sat., then allows for a specific workout routine which will draw down no more than the carbs loaded. i.e. M, T weights; W, TH low intensity cardio, F weights or circuit workout. The abscence of carb intake after saturday and to Fri eve keep blood sugar low during the week activating glucagon to cause fat burn through keto.
    5) standard keto. no carb loads or targets..

    So which one prevents muscle loss or could cause more muscle loss..

    Here is how I understand we loose muscle:
    1) over training in the gym: overtraining occurs when the glycogen in the muscle is depleted, there is no glucose in the bloodstream to draw on and the liver has provided what it stored to the bloodstream already. What prevents overtraining? Eating strategically, and not working out so long on a given muscle group in terms of sets, reps, and rest period. Muscle groups can not share their store of glycogen with another muscle.
    2) we have voluntary and involuntary muscles: in the abscence of carbs and fat consumed calories, the body will then seek protein first in the blood (as in the protein you drink) the it resorts to protein in the liver, muscles, then other organs ... (called gluconeogenesis) in that priority. if there is no mechanical activity required of the voluntary muscles (ie the couch potatoe) then there is no energy consumption. But our involuntary muscles are still consuming energy for vital life support. Your brain consumes 20% of your calories!

    So how do you prevent muscle loss.. dont let your bodily energy requirements deplete you carb and fat calories which includes the glycogen in the muscles, glucose in the blood stream, and glycogen in the liver... and of course provide the protein/amino acids for muscle rebuilding if we are considering that.

    So now, how do you activate fat burning (activating glucagon, by low glucose level in the blood stream) while at the same time have the calories for the muscles? I think from the above, you can figure the answer.

    My fear with diets that just lower the carbs to create a calorie deficit is that there is not enough to fully activate the glucagon (pancreas) to draw on fat for energy, yet the muscle may be running on a glycogen and glucose deficit (as well as liver glycogen) and have to resort to gluconeogenesis (protein break down).

    Thats why Im more receptive to the keto diet. It is producing ketones to supply energy/glucose etc. Obviously not enough ketones if one is still doing intense workouts.. But that is where the cyclic and targeted ketosis diets come in where they ensure the carbs are in place to support the workout and prevent muscle loss. In the case of the cyclic, the workout energy draw has to match the carb load from the weekend. In the case of the targeted keto, the carb load is specific to the exercise sets and is taken just before the workout.
    Im not convinced which diet, the cyclic keto or the targeted keto, will have the most rapid fat loss. I have a feeling the cyclic, but it takes a little more coordination. I believe both will prevent muscle loss better than a diet that just reduces carbs for a calorie deficit.

    So.. just my opinion based on my current knowledge.
    I'd appreciate informed comments as Im still trying to develop a thorough understanding of this myself.
    Hi,
    I would start to research the highlighted paragraph. What you have talked about in there is not correct.
  36. New Member
    discerniblevi's Avatar
    Stats
    5'11"   lbs.
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    3
    Rep Power
    26

    Reputation

    Definitely open to your thoughts... focus me in a bit though on which part is not correct..

    Most of what my thoughts in the highlighted section are based on what Lyle McDonald wrote...

    Also.. My thoughts on a ketosis diet (standard, cyclic, or targeted) is that it be used for fat loss, cutting... short term. I dont intend, nor do I suggest, that it be a long term nutrition strategy... just a short term fat cutting tactic..

    BTW.. I'm a few weeks into using targeted keto.. I'm loosing 2 lbs a week so far. Not loosing any lean body mass. Using body fat calipers and skin fold to determine body fat %. Protecting lean mass using a formula to decide maximum calorie deficit based on maximum rate fat stores can provide energy (31 calories * total body fat in lbs)

    Subtracting max calorie deficit from a calculated BMR plus activity level.
    Have 2 different versions of the above, 1 for workout days and 1 for non-workout days given the difference in activity and nutrition intake.

    Maintaining 1.5 g protein per LBM lb on workout days and 1 g per LMB lb on non workout days.

    Using corn syrup (no high fructose content) for 5 g per every 2 workout sets taken 30 min pre workout for the targeted carb intake and then doing 30 min low intensity eliptical post workout to use any remaining carb and speed getting back into keto. Take 50g protein shake right after workout. Not adding any carb post workout yet, relying on Insulin buildup from pre workout carb intake.

    All seems good right now for a body fat loss goal and while maintaining lean body mass.

    (sorry, had useful web links to 3 of my points above but had to remove them because my post count is below 50 .... I dont get that.. the links might have been useful to other people ... oh well)
  37. Advanced Member
    vassille's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  240 lbs.
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    968
    Rep Power
    48008

    Reputation

    It's ok there are many ppl such with the links you have studied who keep mixing the carbs with keto diets to get the next best thing. I do not like the ups and downs. When your body burns fat for fuel you will def know. If you run out of energy and need carbs to get energy then you not running on fat yet.
    A couple of things to note,
    Ketones do not supply glucose. Your body can make plenty of ketones if you eat fat and no carbs but those are used mostly by the brain. Fatty acids are used by the muscle. As long as you keep suplying carbs to your body will run mainly on glucose.
    I can work out with zero carbs, before or after. Carbs are not necessary for energy to workout. Fatty acids work very well on their own better than glucose in respect to bodybuilding and fat loss.
    What you are doing is basically the addition of carbs to supply energy during workouts. It's just a more complicate way to do a low carb diet.
    If it works for you by all means do it. Like you said it is a short fat loss program which is fine.
    In order to switch your body to burn mainly fat for energy and switch your brain to run mostly on ketones it takes up to 2 months.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 09-15-2012, 11:52 AM
  2. help with ketogenic and anabolic diet please
    By cessna in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 67
    Last Post: 08-13-2008, 08:23 PM
  3. New to ketogenic diet - have a few questions
    By beebab in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 07-12-2008, 09:36 PM
  4. ketogenic diet
    By ms84 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-11-2007, 06:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in