Night TIme Nutrition

Big Joe

Awards
Hey, what do you guys think is the best food to eat before you go to bed? I usually go with a can or two of tuna and a big glass of milk. The milk also helps me go to sleep, naturally. Thanks for the help ahead of time.

LIA

Bone

Awards
I eat about a cup of cottage cheese. Lots of Cassein in it. *does best homer simpson impression* MMMMMM cottage cheese!

Peace

Bone

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
My favorite:

1.5-2 cups cottake chees and 1 scoop whey protein (chocolate or strawberry flavor cuz vanilla tastes nasty)

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
I usually do a cup of cottage cheese (with a tomato on top) with 2 egg whites. My wife bought this cool microwaveable dish that nukes up to 4 eggs in about 1 minute...since, my egg consupmtion has increased dramatically ;)

Chemo

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards
Awww...how cute....next year she'll get you a few chickens if you're lucky....

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, that dish thing is pretty cool...

...I don't have one, I'm a lazy, sick bastard...I drink my eggs:p

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
BDC,

I just thought of somethin'...doesn't radiation denature proteins?

so microwaving eggs renders the proteins inside them null and void, correct me if I'm wrong.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i got a weakness in my diet and thats my late night meals (its high in protein and low carbs but i cannot seem to take in whole foods like cottagecheese, tuna, eggs at night. protein powders and lowcarb bars seem to settle better in my stomach when it get late. and the lowfat/no sugar added icecream is almost a ritual at night (i add a scoop of powder though.....ha)

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established
i got a weakness in my diet and thats my late night meals (its high in protein and low carbs but i cannot seem to take in whole foods like cottagecheese, tuna, eggs at night. protein powders and lowcarb bars seem to settle better in my stomach when it get late. and the lowfat/no sugar added icecream is almost a ritual at night (i add a scoop of powder though.....ha)

Whatever's clever, dude :cool:

ChaseRoy

Awards
to all you guys that are having cottage cheese and milk before you go to bed...There is 13g of carbs in one cup of milk. Not only are they carbs, but they are also simple carbs...this is a big no no for building muscle. If you spike the insulin at night (which having simple carbs does) you supress a key hormone in your body-Growth Hormone. This is not a good thing considering the bulk of your gh is sucreeted (sp.?) at night. I also believe that you are increasing your cotisol levels by late night carbs. Also a bad thing. Just thought I would add my two sense...you may want to forgo the sugars.

Chemo

Chemo

Brewing Anabolic Minds
Awards
  • Established
BDC,

I just thought of somethin'...doesn't radiation denature proteins?

so microwaving eggs renders the proteins inside them null and void, correct me if I'm wrong.
The microwaves do disrupt the structure of the protein but is incredibly able to resume form after it is no longer irradiated. There are various types of bonds that give a protein its shape (not only the hydrogen bonds that are affected by microwaves). Structure and shape defines a protein's function...

Also, what do our bodies salvage from the proteins? The hydrogens? Oxygens? NITROGEN?? It doesn't matter all that much if the protein is denatured because it is not the structure that we are interested in...it is the nitrogen.

Chemo

Bone

Awards
There are hardly any carbs in cottage cheese. My cottage cheese is something like 4 grams per cup. Not alot at all.

Peace

Bone

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I know they're out right now, but I use the protein factory night formula. I can't think of a better time to order from them. Company must have all their **** straight right now.

Lifeguard

Lifeguard

Awards
  • Established

The microwaves do disrupt the structure of the protein but is incredibly able to resume form after it is no longer irradiated. There are various types of bonds that give a protein its shape (not only the hydrogen bonds that are affected by microwaves). Structure and shape defines a protein's function...

Also, what do our bodies salvage from the proteins? The hydrogens? Oxygens? NITROGEN?? It doesn't matter all that much if the protein is denatured because it is not the structure that we are interested in...it is the nitrogen.

Chemo

OOOOOHHHHHH DUUUUDE!:cool: [lightbulb turns on above head]

That's cool!! :D:D

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
my deal (possibly a problem) is that i heat even my protein bars in the microwave for a bit to have the coating melt. makes any bar taste better but might hurt the protein structure a bit. but to begin with, unless its a homemade bar, bars aint that good

MassMachine

Awards
Even though i cant stand cottege cheese, i ussualy manage to force feed myself about a cup with some pinapple in it every night, its been getting better as ive been getting more used to the taste, but i will never like it. Ussualy right before bed ill down that then my protein shake and im asleep.

scotty2

Awards
  • Established
I would avoid the pineapple before bed. The insulin spike will prevent your body from producing GH.

MassMachine

Awards
well its a very small amount, like 3 peices, just something to get the cottage cheese down with. Also pinnaple has good enzymes.

"THE TICK"

Awards
if i get up 2 pee @ night i go ahead & eat some cottage w/ peaches & strawberries, and a cup of milk w/ a couple scoops of whey.

wildman536

wildman536

Awards
  • Established
so whats the verdict on th eegg white/microwave thing because thats the only way i eat them??????????

jweave23

Awards
  • Established
Well, lactose in milk is a simple sugar, although I believe it only about 32 on the GI scale. It is a low GI carb. I have seen arguments regarding insulin spiking from milk, I personally do not believe that it is that high of a spike, if much at all.

To avoid milk at night because of a small amount of low GI carbs does not make sense to me; in that I believe the positives of a slowly releasing casein protein outweigh the (IMO) insignificant spike from lactose.

YellowJacket

Banned
Awards

To avoid milk at night because of a small amount of low GI carbs does not make sense to me; in that I believe the positives of a slowly releasing casein protein outweigh the (IMO) insignificant spike from lactose.
As do I, people avoid carbs late at night etc. because they arent used and store as fat, but say you train early in the day or its an off day and you consume a normal amount of carbs....what do you do the rest of the day, sit at work? watch TV? Arent you worried about those carbs storing as fat? No. Eating a small amount of carbs before bed wont break you or your diet, people are too paranoid about this issue largely due to misleading articles etc.

crazypete

Awards
i'm with YJ on this one. if you are getting an insulin spike from a couple of glasses of milk, your system is pretty messed up, oh wait, your probably dead. milk, eggs, cottage cheese will do the trick and the little carbs may actually help stop catabolism. as for the whey, save it for when you wake up and mix with a slow protein or before and after lifting. if you chose to take whey at other times, mix with a slower protein, although it will not be more effective than other animal based sources.

as for protein degradation don't worry, we DO NOT digest whole proteins. this is why all the extra growth fractions in whey isolate don't help any more than whey concentrate. our intestines absorb only tripeptides (3 amino acids attached to each other) or smaller. proteins are much larger 100's or even 1000's of amino acids long. degredation simply means that the shape of the protein is altered and it will not be able to function as it should. the first thing that happens to a protein in the stomach is degredation. before it can be broken up into smaller pieces, the protein must be accessible to the peptidase enzymes. i hope this helps someone understand BDC's and YJ's responses. if anyone wants to know more, don't hesitate to contact me, email is probably the best way.

cheers, pete

ManBeast

ManBeast

Awards
  • Established
Awesome info CrazyPete! Thanks and Karma to you.

ManBeast

weissmuller

Awards
Hey everyone I've just been browsing through this forum and must say its great.  Just had something I wanted to add.

There was the issue of carbs hurting nightime GH release.  From my understanding carbs only effect the metabolic pathway for GH and not the nueral pathway which is responsible for the large GH release during sleep.  IMO the carbs and insulin they cause can be quite benefical at this time since they can help ward of catabolism and could possibly be synergenic with growth hormone, of course thats my own thought and not fact, any thoughts on this?

crazypete

Awards

There was the issue of carbs hurting nightime GH release.  From my understanding carbs only effect the metabolic pathway for GH and not the nueral pathway which is responsible for the large GH release during sleep.  IMO the carbs and insulin they cause can be quite benefical at this time since they can help ward of catabolism and could possibly be synergenic with growth hormone, of course thats my own thought and not fact, any thoughts on this?
howdy, not sure what you mean by metabolic and neural pathways, but one should not worry about impeding GH release unless you take in massive amounts of glucose (sugar) before bed or during the night. A high glucose dose will impare GH release for about two hours after which an excessive amount of GH is released, then it normalizes after 4 hrs. Glucose can affect the normal circadian (daily cycle) release of GH. Other negative feedback mechanisms are somatostatin, GH itself, and IGF-1. Positive feedback is from Sleep, amino acids (from protein), exercise, stress, amino acid supplements (arginine, glutamine, etc.), phosphatidyl serine, and so on.

you are correct in saying that insulin increases GH. Here's how: insulin causes nutrients from the blood to be taken up by cells (muscle, adipose, etc.). This leads to low blood sugar (low glucose). Low glucose stimulates GH production, ergo GH release. As you can see it is quite an elegant, yet simple control system. However, other systems exist to, so we have to be careful. For example, the insulin release due to excessive carb ingestion would lead to glucose going into adipose cells (fat) as well. As you can see outside of post training meals, we would be better off eating many small, well balanced meals so as to lessen the negative impacts on all hormonal systems. If you give your body proper training, nutrition and rest, it will respond optimally. If you do not, the responses will be weaker

hope this helps, pete

weissmuller

Awards
By neural and metabolic pathways I was refuring to the controls of the hypothalamus on secretion of GHRH which causes the sectretion of GH in the anterior pituitary(so many big words probally mispelled them all).

The metabolic pathway is effected by dietary consumption and carbs can impede this pathway.  But this is a minor pathway and is only of significan duing the day.

The nueral pathway is caused by the brain and is repsonsible for the nightime GH spike which is when the majority of daily GH is realised.  This pathway is not affected by carbs.  This pathway is affected by stress and such but nightime meal cannot prevent this GH spike.  So basically eat what you need to grow throughout the night.  Personally I am a big fan of milk and peanuts.

crazypete

Awards
hey weiss, i know exactly what you are taking about. last semester i had a whole course on endocrinology. however, according to all the material i have in front of me at the moment (10+ texts, some only on the endocrine system) all of the things that affect the release of GH act on the Hypothalamus effecting GHRH release. if you read my previous post closely (first two lines) you will see that we agree, however, a MASSIVE glucose intake can and will disrupt secretion, but we don't have to worry about this.

peanuts and milk eh? good call, personally i'm partial to cottage cheese, but then again the stuff here in canada is much better than the stuff you guys got. i was in the US two months ago, could barely choke the stuff down. maybe i can set up an import-export. i send good cottage cheese, you guys send prohormones.

yeah right, cheers, pete

weissmuller

Awards
Originally posted by crazypete
hey weiss, i know exactly what you are taking about. last semester i had a whole course on endocrinology. however, according to all the material i have in front of me at the moment (10+ texts, some only on the endocrine system) all of the things that affect the release of GH act on the Hypothalamus effecting GHRH release. if you read my previous post closely (first two lines) you will see that we agree, however, a MASSIVE glucose intake can and will disrupt secretion, but we don't have to worry about this.

peanuts and milk eh? good call, personally i'm partial to cottage cheese, but then again the stuff here in canada is much better than the stuff you guys got. i was in the US two months ago, could barely choke the stuff down. maybe i can set up an import-export. i send good cottage cheese, you guys send prohormones.

yeah right, cheers, pete
Yeah I get what your saying about the sum factors on the Hypothalamus being the key and it would probally be to hard to know exactly what each situtation does.  I also agree its not even incredibly important since the carbs would only be in the body for some time.

That import idea sounds pretty decent.  US dairy products are a few steps away from garbage.  The cottage cheese I've tried(tried many) was a few steps away from unedible.  Probally over processing and other junk that goes on in this country can be to blame.  It would make a whole new black market if we set something like that up.  Theres definatley a demand on either side.  :)

crazypete

Awards
hey weiss, like you said, the night-time release of GH is by far the strongest component at that time and is hard to change (except for poor diet, lack of quality sleep- 7-9 hrs the same time every night).

i think that you would encounter a lot more resistance from the dairy farmers than i would from canada customs (ph's are illegal - classified as steroids here) and i doubt that chemicals are responsible for taste. more likely the way they make it. you might want to try some smaller, perhaps even natural brands which have been around for a long time and sometimes, they are a better price too.

PS watch out the dairy farmers have a powerful lobby
PPS and watch out for the hormones they put in cows because it can easily get into the milk and the high absorption.... sorry just kidding if so we'd all be drinking milk by the gallon

if anyone missed the heavy sarcasm in the last comment please do everyone a favor and jump off a really big building, cheers, pete

coolie

Awards
i usually eat cottage cheese, but once in a while i will have tuna or whey.

Jay Mc

Awards
I know this is an old thread but I just wanted to reiterate a point chemo made. There were several people concerned about denaturing egg protein and the like. First, all proteins have 3 levels of structure (primary through tertiary). Primary is just the order of the amino acids linked in a straight chain. Secondary is interactions of amino acids near eachother in the chain (like helix, beta pleated sheet, etc.) through hydrogen and disulfide bonds. Tertiary structure involves amino acids far apart on the chain interacting together making the protein "tangle up" if you will (ie, luecine zipper, zinc finger). There is also a quaternary level of structure which involves the interaction of different subunits but not all proteins have quaternary structure (an important one that does is hemoglobin, heme, alpha-, beta-globin subunits).

Now that I've rambled about stuff no one cares about I'll get to the point. A protein is defined by its primary structure. Thats it. The upper orders of structure only involve activity. The point is, many things denature proteins: heat, uv light, and, gasp, high or LOW pH (Wow, your stomach has a pH of about 2. Thats low!) environments, but as long as the amino acids are in the same order, albumin in a straight chain or albumin wound in a tight ball is still albumin.

The points: 1) it doesn't matter if you denature the protein in the microwave because every time you cook anything you are denaturing protein. Thats why eggs go from liquid to solid. The albumin is denatured. 2) Even if you didn't denature the protein by cooking, it would get denatured in your stomach. And after that it gets chopped into individual amino acids by enzymes like pepsin (which ironically are proteins that are designed in such a way as to not be sensitive to the acid environment of the stomach).

So, nuke the eggs it doesn't matter. You are gonna denature the protein and cut it up anyway!

J

Draven

Awards
  • Established
^ Uh yeah.... what he said. Nice Jay!

I'm glad you decided to start posting here. Your medical expertise is very welcome here. And trust me, no one here will mind you ramblings since we all CARE about the science of it, not just the conclusion.

double s

double s

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Maybe it was said or not, but what about a little fat like nuts, scoop of PB etc to slow down absorbtion and also slow down the GI spike.

blueice

Awards
I enjoy a Tarragon-crusted Tuna with Horseradish and Lime sauce

100g fresh wholemeal breadcrumbs
10g fresh Tarragon, finely chopped
1 egg beaten
black pepper
4 tuna fillets, each about 115 g
100 g horseradish sauce
200 g low-fat Greek yogurt
grated zest of 1 lime

Heat oven to 180 C
Mix the breadcrumbs with tarragon and spread on plate
Pour beaten egg into a shallow dish and season it with pepper
Dip each tuna fillet in egg then breadcrumbs, coating it both sides.Place on a greased baking sheet and bake in oven for 20 minutes until brown and crisp
Meanwhile, mix the horseradish and yogurt together and stir in the lime zest. Serve with tuna fillets.

AaronJP1

AaronJP1

Board Sponsor
Awards
I'll sub for ideas.