HIIT cardio

D

dedication

Awards
i just started reading about this last night and decided to give it a try today. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong. I started doing cardio regularly about 2 weeks ago and i'd say im in decent cardio shape. I could go for about 30-40 minutes at a good steady pace. So from what I understand about HIIT. I'm supposed to do it for 15 minutes, 5 min steady, then 1 min fast, 1 min moderate, and so on. How fast am i exactly supposed to go? I started to go as fast as I could on the eliptical today on the 6th minute, and was ready to fall over and pass out. Am I supposed to go to my max potential or maybe I'm just in horrible cardio shape and have to build up to something like this?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

elshano

elshano

Awards
Instead of going for 15 minutes, try this:
intervals:
15 seconds @ 40%
15 seconds @ 90-100%

for 4 minutes. just 4.

then come back and tell me how you feel :D

D

dedication

Awards
Instead of going for 15 minutes, try this:
intervals:
15 seconds @ 40%
15 seconds @ 90-100%

for 4 minutes. just 4.

then come back and tell me how you feel :D
alright man, gonna try it tomorrow morning after my 1st meal

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i just started reading about this last night and decided to give it a try today. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong. I started doing cardio regularly about 2 weeks ago and i'd say im in decent cardio shape. I could go for about 30-40 minutes at a good steady pace. So from what I understand about HIIT. I'm supposed to do it for 15 minutes, 5 min steady, then 1 min fast, 1 min moderate, and so on. How fast am i exactly supposed to go? I started to go as fast as I could on the eliptical today on the 6th minute, and was ready to fall over and pass out. Am I supposed to go to my max potential or maybe I'm just in horrible cardio shape and have to build up to something like this?

Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
You can do HIIT cardio any way for any duration re efforts and recovery as you like. During your efforts you are supposed to be putting forth maximum effort.

I would have recommended HIIT more along the lines of what elshano suggested. 4 minutes of efforts is definitely enough, especially if you are giving it your all (which you should be).

Personally I use the Guerilla Cardio method and adaptations of:
a. 4 min easy
b. 8 x 20 sec effort/10 sec easy
c. 4 min easy

HIIT is something that you build up gradually re effort duration or frequency.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

D

dedication

Awards
You can do HIIT cardio any way for any duration re efforts and recovery as you like. During your efforts you are supposed to be putting forth maximum effort.

I would have recommended HIIT more along the lines of what elshano suggested. 4 minutes of efforts is definitely enough, especially if you are giving it your all (which you should be).

Personally I use the Guerilla Cardio method and adaptations of:
a. 4 min easy
b. 8 x 20 sec effort/10 sec easy
c. 4 min easy

HIIT is something that you build up gradually re effort duration or frequency.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

I tried the 4 minute thing today, it was rough, but I only burned 70 calories according to the eliptical machine. usually if I go 30 min, i burn around 350-400. How much should i be burning if I do this for four min?

b9cist

b9cist

Awards
When I am cutting, I do 15-20 mins of HIIT like this:3 mins warmup, 30 secs full intensity, 1.5 mins of 50-60% intensity. I do this for 6 cycles, then do a 2 min cool down. I also use a heart rate monitor to ensure I'm hitting my target heart rate.
Don't concern yourself with the calorie counter on the machine, with HIIT you'll be burning calories long after you get off of the machine. I use an eliptical machine as well and have to clean up the puddles of sweat from under it when I'm done. Guejsn is correct, it's something you have to build up to.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tried the 4 minute thing today, it was rough, but I only burned 70 calories according to the eliptical machine. usually if I go 30 min, i burn around 350-400. How much should i be burning if I do this for four min?
Don't look at the calories burned during HIIT; it's irrelevant. They're going to be LOWER than what you would burn during long steady-state cardio at the time, but you WILL burn MORE in the long-term. HIIT is far superior to longer low-intensity cardio, IMO.

Read this extract from an article of Layne's:
Another question that often arises regarding cardio is the argument "Low-Intensity vs High-Intensity" cardio. Many people automatically assume that low-intensity cardio is better; citing that high-intensity cardio primarily utilizes glucose (anaerobic metabolism), while low-intensity cardio primarily burns fat (aerobic metabolism).

Once again, the substrate used during cardiovascular work is not as important as the caloric deficit created by the cardiovascular work. In actuality, high-intensity cardiovascular work is superior to low-intensity cardio for several reasons

High intensity cardio has a much stronger effect on GLUT-4 translocation in muscle cells due to the increased force of muscle contraction. This means that high-intensity cardio creates a much stronger nutrient partitioning effect towards muscle tissue than low-intensity cardio.

Low periods of low-intensity exercise tend to "overtrain" the fast-twitch muscle fibers and convert the intermediate muscle fibers to slow-twitch fibers. This is not a desirable effect as the fast twitch muscle fibers are those that have the greatest chance to hypertrophy. If your body has less fast twitch fibers, then you will experience less hypertrophy from training.

The body's hormonal response to high intensity cardio is similar to the body's hormonal response to resistance training (i.e. increased insulin sensitivity, gh release, Igf-1 release, etc) without placing the same strain on the nervous system as resistance training.

High-intensity cardio causes the body to preferentially store more carbohydrates and burn more fat.

High-intensity cardiovascular exercise increases oxygen expenditure and forces the body to adapt by becoming more efficient at oxygen transport (increase in VO2 max). More efficient oxygen transport to the muscles will increase fat oxidation as fat oxidation is dependant upon the presence of oxygen.

High-intensity cardio seems to be more muscle sparing. Several studies have shown that high-intensity interval training (aka HIT) burns less calories when compared to continuous lower intensity cardio. However, the skinfold losses were greater with the HIT group than in the continuous intensity group. This means not only did the HIT group lose more fat, they also spared more muscle tissue by burning less overall calories .

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

D

dedication

Awards
Don't look at the calories burned during HIIT; it's irrelevant. They're going to be LOWER than what you would burn during long steady-state cardio at the time, but you WILL burn MORE in the long-term. HIIT is far superior to longer low-intensity cardio, IMO.

Read this extract from an article of Layne's:

~Rosie
Team APPNUT
would i be better off doing the total 12 min after my lift in the evening or should i split it up and do the cardio in the AM?

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
would i be better off doing the total 12 min after my lift in the evening or should i split it up and do the cardio in the AM?
I would do HIIT and weights at separate times, or at least have a few hours between them, considering that they both take a lot out of you and that HIIT elicits a similar same response as resistance training.

If you don't know what you are doing then I suggest getting a trainer, as they will incorporate your goals and needs into an appropriate programme set for specific training times that would benefit you the most.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

S

sonicwaste

Awards
In my opinion, high intensity interval cardio is best implemented in addition to ss cardio.

ss warmup, hiit, ss, hiit. That's a generalization of course. There should be some manner of rest to allow for fatty acids to be released.

The point of HIIT is to mobilize and release fatty acids into the bloodstream. So once they are mobilized, they need to be released... Once released they need to be oxidized...

Hence, why ss is important after HIIT.

GLHF

GLHF

Awards
  • Established
i dont like HIIT while dieting down. It just takes too much out of me to recover, especially with no/very low carb diet. I am a LISS guy, id rather chill on a bike for an hour and burn couple of hundred cals and really not feel it. Also, HIIT is not for keto, just saying.

Young Gotti

Young Gotti

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
try this...i don't know if it's considered hiit cardio but it worked really good for me
stretch really good, a good stretch will help burn calories quicker and from the start, then i go on an eliptical from 0-4:40 mark i go at a normal pace, from 4:40 to 5 minutes go as fast as you can, then go back to normal from 5 minutes until 9:40 to 10:00, at 11 minutes i go in reverse and at 12:40 until 13 min go as fast as you can then i repeat that process from 1440-15 minute ever minute like that until the 20 minute mark, at that time i cool down until the 24:40-25 minute mark when i go as fast as possible again and then your done

S

sonicwaste

Awards
i dont like HIIT while dieting down. It just takes too much out of me to recover, especially with no/very low carb diet. I am a LISS guy, id rather chill on a bike for an hour and burn couple of hundred cals and really not feel it. Also, HIIT is not for keto, just saying.
I agree HIIT is definitely not for keto diets, not necessary.

HIIT can be hard to recover from, and can lead to overtraining.... but...

It's super effective at releasing fatty acids. That's what makes it a powerful tool when on a non keto cutting plan. But like I said before, to be truly effective it should always be followed by SS cardio. Or at least some kind of workout. But SS cardio would be best. Not much of a point to doing it by itself after a workout in my opinion

nemo

nemo

Awards
  • Established
I warm up for 5 minutes, by either brisk walking or light jogging.

I go all-out as fast as I can for 20-30 seconds, then slow it down to a light jog type of speed for about 1 minute.

Then repeat.

Then I cool down for about 2 minutes near the end.

Most of the time, I end getting 8 to 10 all-out sprints in a 20 minute session.

M

Medic93

Awards
I jst started doin this about a month ago and this is the routine I do.

10 min: jogging
1 min all out then 1 min walk: I do this for 10 min
8 min: jogging
2 min: cool down.

After 30 min I'm beat

I

Ironloo

If your goal is to get cut with minimal muscle loss dont ever run longer than 25min. and thats a little long. What i do and works every time is 20 minutes on a treadmill if you have a weighted vest wear it, make things harder for yourself not easier.remember 5.0mph is your slowest speed.

1 minute 5.0mph 1minute5.0mph 1minut5.0mph
1minute6.0mph 1minute9.0mph 1minute-30seconds 12.0mph
1minute 5.0mph 1minute5.0mph 1minute5.0mph
1minute7.0mph 1minute10.0mph 1minute-30seconds13.0mph
1minute5.0mph 1minute5.0mph 1minute5.0mph
1minue8.0mph 1minute11.0mph now i take my 40lb. vest of and sprint 14.0mph for a minimum of 1minute now if your not yet at the 20 minute mark run the remainder of time on 5.0mph. Do this routine 2 - 3 days a week including your weight lifting This will work 100% i made this up it helped me and many others you just have to be willing to do it if you want real results you must work extremely hard for them and when your legs feel like butter just think of them as stone 90% mental and forget the eliptical either street treadmill steps or woods. Hope this helps you cause this always worked for me.