Is there an optimal ratio of carbs to protein to use in your PWO?

Rock Lee

Awards
Hey I was curious if there are any studies or anything about the best ratios of carbs and protein to use for PWO; like twice as much carbs as protein, or twice as much protein as carbs, or making the two amounts even? Or are different ratios better for different goals?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It all depends on your goals, age, metabolism, medical conditions (insulin resistance), type of training, etc....Anyone who says there is a fixed rate is wrong.

DobermanXXL

Awards
Depends on a lot of things.. are you bulking, cutting, maintaining? How do you train?

I like 75g of dextrose with 50 grams of protein

Cogar

Awards
  • Established
The precise ratio of carbs to protein is always 1.2382728. If you are off, you are screwed.

Seriously, as a general guide, I take equal grams of carbs (oatmeal) and protein (whey blend) PWO when cutting and about twice a much carbs as protein when bulking.

DobermanXXL

Awards
cogar.. slow burning carbs are not optimal for quickly restoring your depleted gylcogen stores post workout.. i'd stick to table sugar or another form of simple carbs

Ibanez

Awards
I thought I read a study where it stated that it doesn't matter what type of GI the carb source is, as long as you consume enough it won't matter.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your right. Doberman is wrong.

Ibanez

Awards
I thought so, I guess it only comes down to personal preference.

However, make sure to get the preworkout protein in.

lionel

Awards
What about preworkout? Does it have to be a low gi or high gi carb source?

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
You could actually get away with either there but I rather have a steady stream of energy so I opt for Low GI source. With a high GI sources you could have a crash mid-workout.

lionel

Awards
Ok, so basically its low gi for both pre and post workout right? Does dextrose fit anywhere in the picture at all? Bulking phase? Or will it just cause you to put on unwanted fat..

What about creatine? How will it fit into a low gi pro shake? Just dump it in anyhow without an insulin spike?

lionel

Awards
One more thing, can you tell us how your pwo shake looks like? Eg, how much whey, skim milk etc?
It'll be much appreciated!

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
High GI is the way to go if you have fuirther activity fairly close to your weight training session. Lets say if you lift, then have football practice or something like that. Other than that there is not a glycogen depleting activity so therefore its not needed.

My shake is easy. Milk + Whey. Thats it.

Once again insulin increases Glut4 permeability and thats why people say you need an insulin spike for creatine. Exercise does this alone so putting you creatine in your Low GI shake is just fine.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I use around 2 1/2 cups. It depends on your goals or diet to.