My *bulking*diet

dark cloud

Awards
Hey, new to these forms, so like every noob I need some help. :) Like Alt+F4 i've gained some uncecessary fat with my bulk. I'm 16, around 163 pounds, and my bf% in the summer (I know, long time ago) was around 12%. I've made some gains, but for sports (soccer and basketball) and for the ladies I need to lower the bf% little bit. My schedule really conflicts with the times I can eat, being in highschool and all, but i'm trying my best. This is my current diet:

Breakfast: (6:30)
5 scrambled eggs
half a scoop whey protein
1 cup oats
1 banana
16 oz. milk

Lunch: (12:00)
1 BBQ chicken breast
1 cup mixed veggies
1 or 2 potatoes
1 small cup apple sauce

Snack (3:15)
1 banana

Pre-workout (4:30)
12 oz milk
1 scoops whey protein

post workout (5:15)
16 oz milk
2 scoops whey protein
1 banana

Post-post workout (6:00)
Chicken and some sort of carbs (usually rice or pasta)

After 6 I usually just eat whatever we've got. Some lunch meat (turkey), some chicken, extra pasta ect. to bump the cals up. I know I need to get rid of the milk but I get alot of cals from it and I don't know what to use to replace it. Also, i'm thinking of adding HIIT to my routine on off days of my routine (http://www.t-mag.com/nation_articles/244anti.jsp)Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Last edited:

Bouncer79

Awards
Before even looking at your actual meals I can see you need to read up more on PW nutrition. Milk is NOT a viable option. Should be water with whey and carbs (simple - dextrose, maltodextrin) to induce an insulin release.

Bouncer79

Awards
Have you figured out your calorie requirements as well as the caloric values of all of the food? If not, there are 2 good sites you can use... this will help you tune up your diet based on your maintainance level requirement.

www.calorieking.com
www.fitday.com

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
whats wrong with milk??????
There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with milk post wokrout, as long as its skim milk.

Insulin is not the substrate for glycogen or protein synthesis, amino acids are so the need for a drastic insulin spike is not needed. Glyocgen replenishment is biphasic and the first phase is insulin independent. You don't need large amounts of insulin to increase glut4 permeability. It happens naturally with resistance training.

dark cloud

Awards
Wow... I kinda understand that. thanks haha :) Well that's cool.
I just ordered some malodextrin for post workout, i've already got whey. I've already figured out all that stuff. I'm not really a noob to training, just a noob to this board trying to see what I can to do my diet. Thanks for the help so far. :)

Oh, and do you have AIM or anything Bobo? If you do add me xxnike4everxx. Thanks.

julius kelp

julius kelp

Awards
  • Established
thanks for that bobo, i kind of like 2 cups o' skim milk in with my 2 scoops o' chocolate whey, a tiny scoop o' ghirardelli & mdex &/or dex. it's as much a dessert treat as a post shake!

lionel

Awards
Bobo, so how is glycogen replenished after workout with a skim mlik+whey pwo shake?

True, insulin is not the substrate for glycogen or protein synthesis, but it is the one that increases the uptake of these substrates into cells.

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Uptake is accomplished by increasing Glut4 receptor permeability. This is increased by exercise alone. Insulin also increase Glut4 permeability during normal feeding patters but does not react the saem post exercise. It also increases Glut4 recpetors in adipose tissue.

Whey protein is the most abundant source of amino acids. So with your skim milk + whey you have available aminos and a steady stream of glucose. Follow that up by a meal one hour later that is high protein, Low GI carb and low fat.

Determinants of post-exercise glycogen synthesis during short-term recovery.

Jentjens R, Jeukendrup A.

Human Performance Laboratory, School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, University of Birmingham, Edgbaston, Birmingham, UK.

The pattern of muscle glycogen synthesis following glycogen-depleting exercise occurs in two phases. Initially, there is a period of rapid synthesis of muscle glycogen that does not require the presence of insulin and lasts about 30-60 minutes. This rapid phase of muscle glycogen synthesis is characterised by an exercise-induced translocation of glucose transporter carrier protein-4 to the cell surface, leading to an increased permeability of the muscle membrane to glucose. Following this rapid phase of glycogen synthesis, muscle glycogen synthesis occurs at a much slower rate and this phase can last for several hours. Both muscle contraction and insulin have been shown to increase the activity of glycogen synthase, the rate-limiting enzyme in glycogen synthesis. Furthermore, it has been shown that muscle glycogen concentration is a potent regulator of glycogen synthase. Low muscle glycogen concentrations following exercise are associated with an increased rate of glucose transport and an increased capacity to convert glucose into glycogen.The highest muscle glycogen synthesis rates have been reported when large amounts of carbohydrate (1.0-1.85 g/kg/h) are consumed immediately post-exercise and at 15-60 minute intervals thereafter, for up to 5 hours post-exercise. When carbohydrate ingestion is delayed by several hours, this may lead to ~50% lower rates of muscle glycogen synthesis. The addition of certain amino acids and/or proteins to a carbohydrate supplement can increase muscle glycogen synthesis rates, most probably because of an enhanced insulin response. However, when carbohydrate intake is high (>/=1.2 g/kg/h) and provided at regular intervals, a further increase in insulin concentrations by additional supplementation of protein and/or amino acids does not further increase the rate of muscle glycogen synthesis. Thus, when carbohydrate intake is insufficient (<1.2 g/kg/h), the addition of certain amino acids and/or proteins may be beneficial for muscle glycogen synthesis. Furthermore, ingestion of insulinotropic protein and/or amino acid mixtures might stimulate post-exercise net muscle protein anabolism. Suggestions have been made that carbohydrate availability is the main limiting factor for glycogen synthesis. A large part of the ingested glucose that enters the bloodstream appears to be extracted by tissues other than the exercise muscle (i.e. liver, other muscle groups or fat tissue) and may therefore limit the amount of glucose available to maximise muscle glycogen synthesis rates. Furthermore, intestinal glucose absorption may also be a rate-limiting factor for muscle glycogen synthesis when large quantities (>1 g/min) of glucose are ingested following exercise.

Carbohydrate nutrition before, during, and after exercise.

Costill DL.

The role of dietary carbohydrates (CHO) in the resynthesis of muscle and liver glycogen after prolonged, exhaustive exercise has been clearly demonstrated. The mechanisms responsible for optimal glycogen storage are linked to the activation of glycogen synthetase by depletion of glycogen and the subsequent intake of CHO. Although diets rich in CHO may increase the muscle glycogen stores and enhance endurance exercise performance when consumed in the days before the activity, they also increase the rate of CHO oxidation and the use of muscle glycogen. When consumed in the last hour before exercise, the insulin stimulated-uptake of glucose from blood often results in hypoglycemia, greater dependence on muscle glycogen, and an earlier onset of exhaustion than when no CHO is fed. Ingesting CHO during exercise appears to be of minimal value to performance except in events lasting 2 h or longer. The form of CHO (i.e., glucose, fructose, sucrose) ingested may produce different blood glucose and insulin responses, but the rate of muscle glycogen resynthesis is about the same regardless of the structure.

Effect of different types of high carbohydrate diets on glycogen metabolism in liver and skeletal muscle of endurance-trained rats.

Garrido G, Guzman M, Odriozola JM.

Department of Human Performance, National Institute of Physical Education, Madrid, Spain.

Male Wistar rats were fed ad libitum four different diets containing fructose, sucrose, maltodextrins or starch as the source of carbohydrate (CH). One group was subjected to moderate physical training on a motor-driven treadmill for 10 weeks (trained rats). A second group received no training and acted as a control (sedentary rats). Glycogen metabolism was studied in the liver and skeletal muscle of these animals. In the sedentary rats, liver glycogen concentrations increased by 60%-90% with the administration of simple CH diets compared with complex CH diets, whereas skeletal muscle glycogen stores were not significantly affected by the diet. Physical training induced a marked decrease in the glycogen content in liver (20%-30% of the sedentary rats) and skeletal muscle (50%-80% of the sedentary rats) in animals fed simple (but not complex) CH diets. In liver this was accompanied by a two-fold increase of triacylglycerol concentrations. Compared with simple CH diets, complex CH feeding increased by 50%-150% glycogen synthase (GS) activity in liver, whereas only a slight increase in GS activity was observed in skeletal muscle. In all the animal groups, a direct relationship existed between tissue glucose 6-phosphate concentration and glycogen content (r = 0.9911 in liver, r = 0.7177 in skeletal muscle). In contrast, no relationship was evident between glycogen concentrations and either glycogen phosphorylase activity or adenosine 5'-monophosphate tissue concentration. The results from this study thus suggest that for trained rats diets containing complex CH (compared with diets containing simple CH) improve the glycogenic capacity of liver and skeletal muscle, thus enabling the adequate regeneration of glycogen stores in these two tissues.

Simple and complex carbohydrate-rich diets and muscle glycogen content of marathon runners.

Roberts KM, Noble EG, Hayden DB, Taylor AW.

Faculty of Physical Education, University of Western Ontario, London, Canada.

The effects of simple-carbohydrate (CHO)- and complex-CHO-rich diets on skeletal muscle glycogen content were compared. Twenty male marathon runners were divided into four equal groups with reference to dietary consumption: depletion/simple, depletion/complex, nondepletion/simple, and nondepletion/complex. Subjects consumed either a low-CHO (15% energy [E] intake), or a mixed diet (50% CHO) for 3 days, immediately followed by a high-CHO diet (70% E intake) predominant in either simple-CHO or in complex-CHO (85% of total CHO intake) for another 3 days. Skeletal muscle biopsies and venous blood samples were obtained one day prior to the start of the low-CHO diet or mixed diet (PRE), and then again one day after the completion of the high-CHO diet (POST). The samples were analysed for skeletal muscle glycogen, serum free fatty acids (FFA), insulin, and lactate and blood glucose. Skeletal muscle glycogen content increased significantly (p less than 0.05) only in the nondepletion/simple group. When groups were combined, according to the type of CHO ingested and/or utilization of a depletion diet, significant increases were observed in glycogen content. Serum FFA decreased significantly (p less than 0.05) for the nondepletion/complex group only, while serum insulin, blood glucose, and serum lactate were not altered. It is concluded that significant increases in skeletal muscle glycogen content can be achieved with a diet high in simple-CHO or complex-CHO, with or without initial consumption of a low-CHO diet.

Your welcome.