Blood sugar and keto diets question

JudoJosh

JudoJosh

Pro Virili Parte
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Just a quick question, last night in class we had a huge lecture on diabetes and blood sugar and glucose and all that good stuff. Well basically he was lecturing on how without sugar your cells start to die and we need sugar to function. Well this had me very confused, I eat barely any sugar since I'm on keto and I don't eat carbs so they can't turn to glucose so I figured my blood sugar must be low. So today at work I was pondering and went and got me a blood sugar meter and tested myself, it said "78". How is this possible? If someone can just elaborate on the topic, I don't really need to kno was just curious

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Just a quick question, last night in class we had a huge lecture on diabetes and blood sugar and glucose and all that good stuff. Well basically he was lecturing on how without sugar your cells start to die and we need sugar to function. Well this had me very confused, I eat barely any sugar since I'm on keto and I don't eat carbs so they can't turn to glucose so I figured my blood sugar must be low. So today at work I was pondering and went and got me a blood sugar meter and tested myself, it said "78". How is this possible? If someone can just elaborate on the topic, I don't really need to kno was just curious
Honestly? He is wrong just like most lower level nutrition/science classes. Your body produces 100g of glucose on it's own. Carbon skeletons from proteins can be made into glucose and the body can use ketones from break down of fat tissue as well.

You do not need pure sugar to function. Real glucose and sugar is actually detrimental to health. It is the glucose that is broken down form long chain carbohydrates.

Grambo

Grambo

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I could write a lot more if you really want, any direct questions I can answer as well (Nutrional Science degree).

Wilderbeast

Wilderbeast

Awards
  • Established
LOL. Teachers these days have no clue what they're talking about sometimes when it comes to nutrition. ANY teacher that trys to explain anything health-related to you by using a diabetic as an example is so far off base they have no business even commenting on the issue. A diabetic has soo many physiological pathology factors going so terribly wrong simultanesously that they are not even comparable to the processes that take place in a normal healthy human body. Cells do need glucose to survive this is true, BUT 70-80% of the glucose that your body produces in the liver come directly from AMINO ACIDS. This is true no matter HOW MANY CARBS you eat. 1g or 1,000g of carbs a day... Your body (liver) will still produce 70-80% of its glucose directly from amino acids. When you eat any amount of protein (whey, dairy, animal, etc) your body breaks it down into amino acids. Some of these aminos are used in repair, celluar restoration, and function, while the rest get converted into glucose through gluconeogenesis. If you want in depth information on this subject do a goole search on Dr. Scott Connelly, He also has a book out called "Body RX: Dr. Scott Connelly's 6-pack Prescription. He has written many research studies, appeared on many television and radio interviews, and is currently formulating micro-whey fractions that are going through clinical testing to actually treat medical conditions. If you want to layout any BS argument a teacher/student claims about the neccessity of carbohydrates for function on any level in the human body, listen to this man for 10 minutes and you'll have all the ammunition you'll need for a 3 hour debate.

BEAST

jaydollars

jaydollars

Awards
  • Established
Yea well those teaches go by FDA guidelines and what they tell everyone is "fact", like high carbs low fat which is absolute crap

What did we do before we had wheat and complex carbs, back in caveman times, do you think Mr. Caveman cooked pasta for dinner and ate white toast with his breakfast...NO!!!!!!!!!. He ate meat, veggies and fruit, or anything for that matter, also your body has natural ways to convert fat and protien into glucose for energy. Eating meat and vegies and fruit is a primitive diet and may be actually the way our bodies evolved to function off of. Have you noticed that the more carbs we eat the fatter we get...hmmm

Blood sugar and diabetes are huge problems in the US, and everyone is fat, there is much more science behind these things then the teacher could understand