Calories

ticket03

Awards
How can I figure out the total amount of calories I should be taking in on a day to day basis, according to my weight and my goals

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
take the BMR calculator with a grain of salt but it will give you ballpark. its harder to pick what level of activity you really fit into, and if you leave everything else the same but shift that you can see the huge difference it makes. so at least you can build a range

theface

theface

Awards
  • Established
I've always been a subscriber to the school of thought that caloric intake should be loosely monitored and one's focus should be mostly on the source of these calories in terms of macronutrients.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
I've always been a subscriber to the school of thought that caloric intake should be loosely monitored and one's focus should be mostly on the source of these calories in terms of macronutrients.
Funny, I subscribe to the opposite point of view.

And Easy is correct on the accuracy of BMR calculators - they are just a starting point. To properly use them you need to make a meal plan with calorie counts, test drive, and then adjust quantities to meet goals.

theface

theface

Awards
  • Established
Obviously everyone is different. However, I've made
all my progress by paying more attention to glycemic response opposed to caloric intake total sum.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
1 lb of fat = 3500 calories. If you take your currently avg consumed calories, say you normally eat 3000 calories a day, and reduce it by 500, resulting in 2500 calories per day, then after 1 week you will have lost 1 lb of fat (500cal x 7 = 3500cal). Also if you increase your normal daily activity/exercise to burn an additional 500cals then you could burn another 1lb per week (500cal x 7 = 3500cal). That is a total of 2 lbs of fat (most of it would be fat but not technically 100%) lost per week. After 1 month you would have lost 8 lbs of fat with only a slight decrease in total calories and an increase in daily exercise.

Glycemic index is the measurement of effects carbs have on blood sugar levels. Basically high GI carbs will digest quickly thus quickly increasing your blood sugar levels which will then spike insulin which if done prior to exercise it will cause the carbs you just ate to be stored as fat. After you workout you can eat high GI carbs because your body will have depleted your glycogen stores in the muscles you worked out and the insulin spike will then be triggered to transport the carbs to your muscles as glycogen instead of turning them into fat cells for storage.

Of course your metabolism plays a part in the amount of calories burned but as long as you are not starving youself and you are exercising at least moderately then your metabolism is probably fine.

theface

theface

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. This is good, applicable information. However, when I am asked, I advice most that multiple factors play a part in fat loss. Usually, fat loss and muscle gain, or maintenance, is the goal; therefore, most people need to pay attention to what they are eating and when. Also, factors such as metabolism boosting cheat days, catabolic preventing rest days, and the right supplementation is absolutely essential in achieving the holy grail of body building; which is size and leanness combined. A great example of this is the fact that high glycemic carbs should be take in directly after training. Moreover, studies have shown that these high g.i. carbs do not become stored as fat because they are put to use in terms of muscle recovery etc. I'm just trying to add my 2 cents because all of our points are spot-on; however all points of view need to be considered in order for ticket to decide which is the best approach for him.

Mjolnir

Mjolnir

Awards
  • Established
Agreed. This is good, applicable information. However, when I am asked, I advice most that multiple factors play a part in fat loss. Usually, fat loss and muscle gain, or maintenance, is the goal; therefore, most people need to pay attention to what they are eating and when. Also, factors such as metabolism boosting cheat days, catabolic preventing rest days, and the right supplementation is absolutely essential in achieving the holy grail of body building; which is size and leanness combined. A great example of this is the fact that high glycemic carbs should be take in directly after training. Moreover, studies have shown that these high g.i. carbs do not become stored as fat because they are put to use in terms of muscle recovery etc. I'm just trying to add my 2 cents because all of our points are spot-on; however all points of view need to be considered in order for ticket to decide which is the best approach for him.
Exactly, just like I said above there are optimal times to consume different foods, high GI carbs are great post exercise but just randomly throughout the day or even worse late at night you will just store fat.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
kcal = 1 MET * body weight (kg) * 1440 min / 1000 * 4.69

1 MET = 3.5 ml/kg/min (roughly)
1440 min = 24 hours
Need ml converted to liters
1L oxygen taken up = 4.69 kcal

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
How can I figure out the total amount of calories I should be taking in on a day to day basis, according to my weight and my goals
There are many methods and calculations for figuring out your Maintenance. One such is attached in post #2 at http://anabolicminds.com/forum/bulking/104321-help-determine-my.html. Please remember that any calculation is only an ESTIMATE (i.e. it could be lower or higher) and is not the gospel truth and that you may need to make adjustments as you go along...For fat loss you want to be mostly BELOW Maintenance (up to 500 calories less) and for gaining mass you want to be perpetually ABOVE Maintenance (up to 500 or more calories above).

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

heavypieces

heavypieces

Awards
Keep a calorie log of all your food. Once you figure out where you are adjust calories and/or macros up or down based on your goal. Take a picture of your body and stick with your change for 3 weeks.

fsupat

Awards
Exactly, just like I said above there are optimal times to consume different foods, high GI carbs are great post exercise but just randomly throughout the day or even worse late at night you will just store fat.
I'm wondering if you could explain to me how high GI carbs can be stored as fat if they are eaten "randomly throughout the day or even worse late at night" if you are eating at maintenance or in a caloric deficit. Thanks.

ticket03

Awards
Well thanks for all the informative input in regards to what calorie intake should be as of right now, I'm still balancing my diet and tring to figure out exactly what my reacts best to. Currently a fee diffferent calorie calculators have told me to be withing the 2200 to 2500 range of calorie intake. So I will run this and see how I feel and look the course of it all. I am fully aware that calorie isn't just a calorie, and needs to be broken down accoridngly. I'm addicted my friends it's turned from a hobby into a lifestyle, and I realized this yesterday most of all when I sat around a bunch of "chuncky" fellows Ina card tourney and watched as they ate the free piece and drank cases of soda. I sat there and drank my water and checken breasts.

nomoredex

nomoredex

Awards
  • Established
well there webmd has a something on their website that tells you how many calories to eat based on your age.height,frame,weight and goals.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
I'm wondering if you could explain to me how high GI carbs can be stored as fat if they are eaten "randomly throughout the day or even worse late at night" if you are eating at maintenance or in a caloric deficit. Thanks.
Carbohydrates only contribute an insignificant amount to adipose de novo lipogenesis (relatively inactive compared to other mammalian species). I've explained this a thousand times. Carbohydrates are not primarily stored as fat in humans. What happens is that high amounts of carbohydrates shift the metabolic substrates to primarily carbohydrates instead of protein and lipids (decreases the rate of lipolysis & beta-oxidation). Also, plasma insulin levels are higher than normal which also inhibits lipase activity and increases lipid uptake.
Carbohydrates are needed to fuel lipid metabolism. A 50/30/20 (carb/protein/fat) ratio is generally recommended with a caloric deficit.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
Carbohydrates only contribute an insignificant amount to adipose de novo lipogenesis (relatively inactive compared to other mammalian species). I've explained this a thousand times. Carbohydrates are not primarily stored as fat in humans. What happens is that high amounts of carbohydrates shift the metabolic substrates to primarily carbohydrates instead of protein and lipids (decreases the rate of lipolysis & beta-oxidation). Also, plasma insulin levels are higher than normal which also inhibits lipase activity and increases lipid uptake.
Carbohydrates are needed to fuel lipid metabolism. A 50/30/20 (carb/protein/fat) ratio is generally recommended with a caloric deficit.
Good post and props but good luck getting the keto fans to buy in.

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
Good post and props but good luck getting the keto fans to buy in.
Would be rather difficult. Research is out there though.