Accuracy of handheld fat loss machines???

1. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  210 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    32.37%

Accuracy of handheld fat loss machines???

I was just curious, I used one of these for the first time the other day at the gym. Not sure how accurate they are. If they are a little off do they normally give you a higher or lower than normal reading? Mine was 13%, which I would like to get down around 8%. At 210 lbs that's about 10.5 lbs. of fat to lose. Any suggestions on how to build a little lean muscle while cutting the fat?

2. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.87%

Bioelectrical impedance is just about the most inaccurate measure of body composition known to man.
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'10"  195 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    17.83%

Quote Originally Posted by russy_russ View Post
    Bioelectrical impedance is just about the most inaccurate measure of body composition known to man.
    I can't agree more. I went in the gym with a freind of mine one time. He's a tall non muscular guy with a pot belly. We did our fat % with one of those things. his came out at like 8%. At the time I was sredded with a awsome six pack and my % came out at like 19%.
    •   

4. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.41%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by tshaw024 View Post
    I was just curious, I used one of these for the first time the other day at the gym. Not sure how accurate they are. If they are a little off do they normally give you a higher or lower than normal reading? Mine was 13%, which I would like to get down around 8%. At 210 lbs that's about 10.5 lbs. of fat to lose. Any suggestions on how to build a little lean muscle while cutting the fat?
    This has been answered in other threads.

BIA scales, handheld monitors, or anything that uses an electrical current to measure body composition are the most INaccurate ways to measure body composition. For a start, they are dependent upon how hydrated you are and a variety of other factors, including temperature, time of day, whether you have trained or eaten prior and how long ago that was, etc; and, unless your bodyfat is distributed evenly over your body (which for most people, it is NOT) then the reading is going to be far from accurate (i.e. scales only measure the body composition of your LOWER body; handheld devices measure your UPPER body or ONE SIDE of your body, etc. The reading you get is usually out by up to 10% bodyfat, and usually gives a higher reading.

If you want to RECOMP, then you need to look at your DIET manipulation, since this is what is going to determine your success at leaning whilst gaining muscle.

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  200 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    28.15%

they suck real bad, pretty much as bad as figuring out bmi for body composition
  6. The Female Terminator
    Stats
    5'1"  120 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.41%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by ecupirate View Post
    they suck real bad, pretty much as bad as figuring out bmi for body composition
    BMI is NOT a measure of body composition; it is used to assess whether one is underweight, a healthy weight, or overweight for their height (and yes, it is NOT an accurate measure of that either)!

~Rosie
    Team APPNUT
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

"Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    5'6"  180 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    5.5%
    Achievements Posting Pro

So how about the calipers, do you think there are accurate?
  8. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    57.87%

Quote Originally Posted by jayts22 View Post
    So how about the calipers, do you think there are accurate?
    They can be a little bit more accurate as far as superficial percent fat is concerned. However, variance exists among testers.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Handheld Versions of AM
    By AnonyMoose in forum General Chat
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-18-2011, 07:53 PM
  2. BMI Accuracy?!
    By RyanOFelt in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-23-2008, 10:49 PM
  3. Replies: 26
    Last Post: 05-15-2007, 07:17 PM
  4. body fat testing accuracy?