Cardio and Weight Training Questions

orangerain

Awards
I've been wondering (and still confused) about this... how many minutes of cardio is enough per day? And, is cardio supposed to come before or after weight training (or both)? Thanks for those who will post.

Althalus

Awards
Length depends on what type of cardio you do. If you're doing low intensity sustained state, you may need to do it for 30-45 minutes, but high intensity interval training sessions can be as short as 12 minutes, and are usually no longer than 20. You won't need to do cardio every day.

Cardio comes after weight training. Some people choose to do a very light warmup before their weight training (five minutes at a low intensity) to get the blood flowing, but I personally prefer doing warmup sets or stretching instead.

soontobbeast

Awards
  • Established
Length depends on what type of cardio you do. If you're doing low intensity sustained state, you may need to do it for 30-45 minutes, but high intensity interval training sessions can be as short as 12 minutes, and are usually no longer than 20. You won't need to do cardio every day.

Cardio comes after weight training. Some people choose to do a very light warmup before their weight training (five minutes at a low intensity) to get the blood flowing, but I personally prefer doing warmup sets or stretching instead.

a. typically cardio after weight training is ill advised unless you bring your shake to the gym and drink it after weights and before cardio. or, you should at least bring BCAAs. when you do intense training your body releases a stress hormone called cortisol that eats muscle. you need to block this hormone by releasing insulin with either carbs, protein, or a combo. which is why you drink your shake before doing cardio.

b. duration of cardio depends on how many calories you want to burn. in order to know how many calories you want to burn, you need to know your goals ( gaining weight, or losing it ), and your maintenance calories ( calories at which you dont gain or lose, but maintain weight ).

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been wondering (and still confused) about this... how many minutes of cardio is enough per day? And, is cardio supposed to come before or after weight training (or both)? Thanks for those who will post.
Read The 3 Keys to Fat Loss; it covers what type and how long for re cardio.

As for when you do cardio, you can do pre or post resistance training or as a separate session either earlier or later in the day from your resistance training. When you do your cardio is personal preference and you will have to find out what works best for you re results by experimenting by doing cardio at different times.

~Rosie
Team APPNUT

luclyluciano

Awards
  • Established
I think it's good to experiment to see what works best for you and it all depends on your personal goals. I like to prioritize. If I'm trying to lean out I will even do my cardio first when this is my priority. If you want to lean out you need 5-600 calorie burning sessions 5 days a week. If you have the leaness you want then do cardio last minimum 20-30 minutes of low intensity. I always bring my protein to the gym and dring it during my workout. It's a whey, cassein, carb blend....all bases covered!